FR - SCARPA Rapid LT Shoes - Jerry Adams

  • jerry adams
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2013
      http://tinyurl.com/k3lmfwv

      a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      April 24, 2013 - day hike on King's Mt in Northwest Oregon.  5 miles (8 km).  2600 feet (800 m) elevation gain.  Quite steep with slippery gravel, flexible lug sole kept me from slipping much.
      April 26, 2013 - 4 night backpack up Herman Creek in North Central Oregon.  33 miles (53 km).  6500 feet (2000 m) elevation gain.  Mostly straightforward trail.  Some stream crossings, steep up and down with gravel, a little bit of walking on snow.
      May 29, 2013 - 4 night backpack and 2 night car camp at Zigzag Ridge and Ramona Falls in North central Oregon.  38 miles (61 km).  5000 feet (1500 m) elevation gain.   40 to 70 F (4 to 21 C).  All on trail except 2 miles (3 km) that was covered with snow.  Some stream crossings.  First two days it rained.  I wore Kahtoola Microspikes on the snow.
      June 27, 2013 - 4 night backpack at Strawberry Mountain in central Oregon.  44 miles (71 km). 7800 feet (2400 m) elevation gain.  50 to 85 F (10 to 29 C).  Mostly on trail, although at times the trail resembles bushwhacking.  A few steep snow slopes.
      Most of the time I wore the SCARPAs with lightweight gaiters:

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      Overall, I was very happy with the SCARPA Rapid LT Approach shoes.
      I used them for 120 miles (193 km), 22000 feet (6700 m) of elevation gain., and 12 nights of backpacking.  Most of this was on regular trails with a little off trail, walking on uneven rocks, and on snow.
      I never got the hint of a blister.  I really liked the light weight of these shoes.
      I used mid-weight Merino socks on my first trip but they didn't dry out very good, so I then used thin synthetic socks for the rest of my testing.  They maybe dried out a little better.
      I used the SCARPAs with Kahtoola Microspikes a little and they worked good, even though the SCARPAs are so lightweight.
      Stream crossings with the SCARPAs are easy, I just walk through.  Sure, they fill up with water but it quickly drains out and my socks eventually dried out.  When crossing streams with waterproof breathable (WPB) boots, I have to look for rocks or logs to cross on, and if water gets over the top, then I have to stop, dump the water out, and wring out the socks.
      Depending on conditions, the SCARPAs kept my feet drier or wetter than other shoes/boots I've used.  If I avoided walking through streams, then my socks stayed pretty dry, just a little dampness on the bottom.  If I got them wet and the weather was warm, like 85 F (29 C) then they dried off except a little dampness on the bottom of my socks.  In colder weather though, if my socks got wet, then they didn't dry out during the day, I would have been better off with WPB boots.  In warm weather, like 85 F (29 C), the SCARPAs are very breathable so at the end of the day my socks were only a little damp at the bottom from sweat.  With WPB boots, my socks would have been much more damp.  So, bottom line, in hot or dry weather, the Scarpas were good, but in cold weather when they got wet, they never dried out so I would rather use WPB shoes/boots.
      Water deeper than about 1 inch (2.5 cm) is deep enough to get into the SCARPAs.  Maybe twice that if I could tiptoe through.  With mid height boots, water has to be maybe 6 inches deep before getting them wet.
      The lug soles were sufficiently aggressive to provide traction on a range of surfaces - snow, mud, gravel,...
      One thing about the SCARPAs is the sole is very flexible.  Sometimes a stiff sole can be good because it provides support on sharp rocks and so forth.  With the SCARPAs, sharp edges telegraph through more so I found that I had to watch where I was walking a little more and try to avoid sharp edges, especially on an edge of the shoes.  But, on the other hand, I found that I could better feel what I was walking on and make better contact.  When I was walking on a hard surface with gravel, it seemed like I slid around less.
      A couple times I landed oddly and my ankle rolled sideways.  I think with higher boots this wouldn't have happened as much.  My ankles aren't sensitive to this so this didn't really bother me.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, so far, I am very happy with the SCARPA shoes.  They are very well made.  They have been very comfortable.
      I liked the breathability of the SCARPAs.  My feet stayed drier in warm weather.  It enabled me to just walk through streams, with non breathable shoes I have to more carefully cross to avoid them getting wet.  But, the down side is in cold weather they don't dry out very good once they get wet.
      I like the lightness of the SCARPAs - less tiring to move my feet around, I make better contact with the ground, but sharp edges of rocks tend to telegraph through a little more.
      Thanks to SCARPA and BacpackGearTest.org for letting me test these.
      See my Long Term Report in about 2 months.

    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2013
        Hey Jerry,

        I am sooo sorry for the lateness of this edit. I have been swamped with a work project, but I am coming up for air. I see that you are enjoying the shoes and I am curious to see how you like them over the full test period. I found just a few edits for you to consider and change. You know the drill: change, upload and delete :)

        See you in another two months!

        <snip>

        I used them for 120 miles (193 km), 22000 feet (6700 m) of elevation gain., and 12 nights of backpacking.

        EDIT: You can remove the period after �gain.�

        <snip>

        They maybe dried out a little better.

        Edit: I might reword this a little bit. Are you saying you couldn�t tell that they dried out better or that they seemed to dry out better?

        <snip>

        So, bottom line, in hot or dry weather, the Scarpas were good, but in cold weather when they got wet, they never dried out so I would rather use WPB shoes/boots.

        EDIT: Change �Scarpas� to �SCARPAs� please.

        Comment: That�s awesome! They seem like great shoes for summer!

        <snip>

        The lug soles were sufficiently aggressive to provide traction on a range of surfaces - snow, mud, gravel,...

        EDIT: You can delete the last comma before the ellipse.

        <snip>

        It enabled me to just walk through streams, with non breathable shoes I have to more carefully cross to avoid them getting wet.

        EDIT: Change �non breathable� to �non-breathable� please. Also, I might suggest that you use a semicolon instead of a comma to break up the sentence a little.

        <snip>

        Thanks to SCARPA and BacpackGearTest.org for letting me test these.
        EDIT: Please change �BacpackGearTest.org� to �BackpackGearTest.org�

      • jerry adams
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2013
          Edited, uploaded, deleted, thanks for the edits, see you in two months