IR - Bushnell BackTrack D-TOUR - Katie Montovan

  • Katie Sullivan Montovan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
      Hi,

      I have completed my initial report for the Bushnell BackTrack D-TOUR. It
      has taken longer than expected because I have had some trouble getting it
      to upload my tracked trips to the computer. I will contact the manufacturer
      but have been unable to do so yet.

      The html is uploaded to the test folder: *http://tinyurl.com/k83xmsv*

      The text version is pasted below.

      Thanks!
      Katie

      Bushnell BackTrack D-TOUR GPS
      Test Series by Kathryn Montovan
      INITIAL REPORT <#IR>: July 24, 2013

      Product Information and Specifications:
      Manufacturer: Bushnell
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: http://bushnell.com
      MSRP NA
      Listed Weight: NA
      Measured Weight (without batteries): 2.8 oz (79 g)
      Screen Type: Grayscale LCD
      Listed and Measured Screen Size: 1.625" x 1.625" (4.1 x 4.1 cm)
      Listed and Measured Dimensions: 4.125" x 2.75" x .875" (10.5 x 7 x
      2.2 cm)
      Battery Type: 3 AAA

      Product Description

      The Bushnell BackTrack D-TOUR is a simplified GPS that tracks its
      location and helps the user find their way back to up to five marked
      locations by displaying an arrow pointed towards the location of
      interest with a measured distance to the desired location. It also
      measures the temperature, elevation, and has a built in digital compass.
      The BackTrack D-TOUR will record up to 48 hours of tracked trail which
      can later be uploaded onto a computer. This creates a map of where you
      have been that is complete with elevations, distances, and locations.

      There is a very nice interactive tour of the functions of the BackTrack
      D-TOUR and the specific roles the buttons play in each menu on the
      bushnell website at
      http://bushnell.com/all-products/gps/backtrack-d-tour#
      <http://bushnell.com/all-products/gps/backtrack-d-tour#>

      Initial Impressions

      This GPS unit is larger than I had expected, but I am impressed with the
      multiple functions it performs. It has four buttons: power, trip, mark,
      and settings. It seems fairly sturdy and strap attachment loop will come
      in handy for attaching it to my pack and preventing loss. The battery
      compartment on the back is easy to open but looks like it will stay
      securely shut between battery changes. The Quick Start Guide is helpful
      but it would be more helpful if the pictures demonstrated the steps
      instead of simply marking button locations. For example it would have
      been helpful to have a picture of what I should see when I press the
      `trip' button, and what you should see when a trip was actively being
      tracked. Most of the functions are fairly straightforward and I was able
      to set the time on the unit without instructions, but it would have been
      nice to have instructions for setting the time in the quick start guide.
      There is a complete users manual
      <
      http://bushnell.com/getmedia/08b88e4f-7dc9-4a21-9cec-bce94aed193e/D-TOUR_BackTrack_6LIM_web.pdf?ext=.pdf

      online that has more detailed instructions.

      Trying It Out

      After installing the batteries, I turned the GPS on and took the unit
      outdoors to get a satalite signal. Initially the satalite signal in the
      top right corner had a line through it showing that a satalite signal
      has not yet been found. After a minute or so, the line disappeared and
      the GPS unit was ready to use. I marked a point at my house by pressing
      the power button until there was a house in the lower left corner, then
      pressing the mark button. When I started walking the arrow on the
      display always pointed towards the point I had started and displayed the
      distance back to my house. Setting a second point was easy. I just
      pressed the power button until the desired symbol (house, car, star,
      flag, or target) appeared, and then pressed the mark button again.

      I had a little trouble getting the unit to track a trip. I have now
      figured out that I need to press the trip button, then press it again
      and make sure that a walking stick figure appears in the upper right
      corner of the screen. When the trip is done, I press the trip button
      again before turning the unit off to save the trip. After a test walk
      with the dog I was excited to get home and see how the mapping software
      on the computer works.

      Software Installation

      The manufacturer claims that the BackTrack D-Tour will download tracking
      information to a Windows (XP SP1 or later) or MAC (10.4.9 or later)
      computer. My MacBook Pro runs OS X 10.7.5 so it should be compatible
      with the BackTrack D-TOUR software. I went to the website and entered my
      information and the serial number for the GPS (located inside the
      battery compartment). This was a very straightforward process and went
      very smoothly. So far, I have received no Bushnell related junk email as
      a result of this product registration.

      The next step was to install the proper software onto my Mac. The
      website made this easy. The file downloaded smoothly and installed just
      fine.

      I can open the BackTrack software and see the Google map that my tracks
      will be plotted onto.

      The quick start instructions then say to turn the BackTrack D-TOUR on
      and plug it into the Mac with the program open. I did this and nothing
      happened. I also tried looking for the GPS in the finder window to get
      the information that way but the computer does not seem to recognize
      that the GPS is plugged in. At this point I have tried multiple things
      to get my trips to upload to the program. It looks like the GPS
      recognizes that it is connected to a computer but the computer is not
      recognizing that the GPS is connected. I will follow up with the company
      and report on this issue again in the Field report.

      The quick-start instructions have the following instructions and related
      pictures demonstrating what should happen when the GPS is connected. It
      looks like a very functional and useful mapping program.

      Summary

      I am very excited to use the BackTrack D-TOUR to help with navigation
      and trip mapping and hope that I can sort out the computer troubles I am
      having. The unit itself is easy to use for marking locations, looking at
      the temperature and elevation, and navigating back to marked locations.
      I had more trouble getting it to track trips and upload them to the
      computer but will keep working on figuring this out and will report what
      I discover in my next report.

      I would like to thank Bushnell and BackPackGearTest.org for the
      opportunity to test the BachTrack D-TOUR. Please check back in 2 months
      for my field report.

    • the_fish_guy
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 19, 2013
        Katie,

        Sorry for the delay. Very nice report! Below are your edits. I look forward to your FR in a couple of months!

        Mike

        <SNIP>

        There is a very nice interactive tour of the functions of the BackTrack D-TOUR and the specific roles the buttons play in each menu on the bushnell website at http://bushnell.com/all-products/gps/backtrack-d-tour#

        EDIT: Please capitalize "Bushnell" just before the hyperlink.

        <SNIP>

        After installing the batteries, I turned the GPS on and took the unit outdoors to get a satalite signal. Initially the satalite signal in the top right corner had a line through it showing that a satalite signal has not yet been found.

        EDIT: Spelling – satellite (x3)
      • sull0294
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
          Hi,

          I have performed my edits but there is not yet a test folder for this test on the website. Can someone create this folder please?

          Thanks!
          Katie

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "the_fish_guy" <thefishguy@...> wrote:

          > Katie,
          >
          > Sorry for the delay. Very nice report! Below are your edits. I look forward to your FR in a couple of months!
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > <SNIP>
          >
          > There is a very nice interactive tour of the functions of the BackTrack D-TOUR and the specific roles the buttons play in each menu on the bushnell website at http://bushnell.com/all-products/gps/backtrack-d-tour#
          >
          > EDIT: Please capitalize "Bushnell" just before the hyperlink.
          >
          > <SNIP>
          >
          > After installing the batteries, I turned the GPS on and took the unit outdoors to get a satalite signal. Initially the satalite signal in the top right corner had a line through it showing that a satalite signal has not yet been found.
          >
          > EDIT: Spelling – satellite (x3)

        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
            The folder is
            there.http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Eye%20Protection%20and%20Binoc
            ulars/Binoculars/Bushnell%20NatureView%20binoculars/

            I have performed my edits but there is not yet a test folder for this test
            on the website. Can someone create this folder please?

            Thanks!
            Katie

            <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com> , "the_fish_guy"
            <thefishguy@...> wrote:

            > Katie,
            >
            > Sorry for the delay. Very nice report! Below are your edits. I look
            forward to your FR in a couple of months!

            > Mike
            >
            > <SNIP>
            >
            > There is a very nice interactive tour of the functions of the BackTrack
            D-TOUR and the specific roles the buttons play in each menu on the bushnell
            website at http://bushnell.com/all-products/gps/backtrack-d-tour#
            <http://bushnell.com/all-products/gps/backtrack-d-tour>

            > EDIT: Please capitalize "Bushnell" just before the hyperlink.
            >
            > <SNIP>
            >
            > After installing the batteries, I turned the GPS on and took the unit
            outdoors to get a satalite signal. Initially the satalite signal in the top
            right corner had a line through it showing that a satalite signal has not
            yet been found.

            > EDIT: Spelling - satellite (x3)

          • sull0294
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
              Hi Kathy,

              Thanks for responding, but I need a folder for the Bushnell GPS test IR (not the binoculars). There is a folder in the GPS folder for the Bushnell Backtrack GPS PLF, but it contains results from a 2010 test. Maybe I am just not looking in the right spot, but I can't find it anywhere.

              Thanks again for your help!
              Katie

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
                Whoops! That will get fixed today.

                <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com> , "Kathy Waters" <kathy@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 26, 2013
                  Katie,

                  I have some additional edits below that I missed the first go round. Sorry! Please update your report with these and re-upload.

                  Mike

                  <SNIP>

                  Manufacturer: Bushnell

                  EDIT: it is Bushnell Outdoor Products

                  <SNIP>

                  There is a very nice interactive tour of the functions of the BackTrack D-TOUR and the specific roles the buttons play in each menu on the Bushnell website at http://bushnell.com/all-products/gps/backtrack-d-tour#

                  <SNIP>

                  There is a complete users manual online that has more detailed instructions.

                  EDIT: we don't allow any links except the top-level URL for the manufacturer. This rule was put in place as companies often change locations of things or drop links resulting in broken links in our reviews and reports. It is fine to make mention of the fact that there are these resources available online, but the reader can find them on their own.

                  <SNIP>

                  For example it would have been helpful to have a picture of what I should see when I press the `trip' button, and what you should see when a trip was actively being tracked.

                  EDIT: and what "I" should see when a trip was actively being tracked

                  <SNIP>

                  I would like to thank Bushnell and BackPackGearTest.org

                  EDIT: BackpackGearTest.org (we are not BPGT…;-)

                  <END>