Application: REI Flash Air Pad - Bob Dorenfeld

  • geartest7000
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2013
      Hi Kurt,

      Please accept my application to test the REI Flash Insulated Air pad.  I have read and understand the BackpackGearTest Bylaws v0609, including Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Tester Bio:
      Name:  Bob Dorenfeld

      Age: 55

      Gender: Male

      Height: 5 ft 6 in (1.7 M)

      Weight: 142 lb (64 Kg)

      Email address: geartest(at)sageandspruce(at)net

      City, State, Country: Salida, Colorado, U.S.

      Date: July 23, 2013

      Backpacking Background (general):
      I'm an active hiker, snowshoer, skier (Nordic & alpine), backpacker. I live at 7000 ft (2134 m) in the Southern Colorado Rockies where I hike between 7000 ft (2134 m) and 14000 ft (4200 m). I'll do from 4 to 12 miles (6 to 20 km) in a day, ranging as much as 5000 ft (1500 m) of elevation change. I carry up to 20 lb (9 kg) on day hikes, about 45 lb (20 kg) on backpacks. Overnights are usually from one to three nights. Often I hike off-trail on challenging talus, snowfields, or willow brakes, with occasional bouldering.

      Backpacking Agenda & Field Testing applicable to this test:
      I intend to test the REI Flash Insulated Air pad in both summer and fall weather conditions in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and also some in the Colorado Plateau high desert Four Corners region. My backpack trips usually run 2-3 nights, sometimes 4-5; I'm planning at least 10 nights out to test this sleeping pad. But because the pad won't know how it gets to the tent+ground, I'll also have a chance to use it on several car-camping trips, at both campgrounds and by the road side. Temperatures in the areas I'll be hiking will vary from around freezing to over 80 F (27 C). I expect some rain, maybe some snow.

      Since my usual camping terrain varies from soft and smooth (grass, evergreen needles) all the way to small rocks and pebbles, I will be able to test this pad for comfort on the back and hips across most conditions. Temperatures at or below freezing will also let me test its insulation capabilities. Also, how compact will the REI Flash Insulated Air pad roll up for fitting onto my backpack? Since I usually camp with my medium-sized dog, will she be able curl up on at least part of the pad (without knocking me off :) )? I'm also curious to see how well the water-resistant feature really works, as well as the raised edge. Is the two-valve inflation/deflation feature a gimmick or actually useful? I will be comparing the REI Flash Insulated Air pad to my long-time sleeping companion, the tried-and-true Therm-a-rest classic.

      Previously Written Reports:
      None at this time.

      Owner Reviews (Completed - First two published):
      REI PINNACLE 35 TECHNICAL DAY PACK (April 15, 2013)

      The Lighter Company SOLO CANDLE LIGHTER (May 30, 2013)

      Both completed reviews can be found at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/geartest7000

      Owner Reviews (In progress):
      LATITUDE 40 Trail Map Series

      Completed Tests: