Application: Deuter ACT Lite - Bob Dorenfeld

  • geartest7000
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2013
      Hi Dawn,

      Please accept my application to test the Men's Deuter ACT Lite 65+10.  I have read and understand the BackpackGearTest Bylaws v0609, including Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Tester Bio:
      Name:  Bob Dorenfeld

      Age: 55

      Gender: Male

      Height: 5 ft 6 in (1.7 M)

      Weight: 142 lb (64 Kg)

      Email address: geartest(at)sageandspruce(at)net

      City, State, Country: Salida, Colorado, U.S.

      Date: July 23, 2013

      Backpacking Background (general):
      I'm an active hiker, snowshoer, skier (Nordic & alpine), backpacker. I live at 7000 ft (2134 m) in the Southern Colorado Rockies where I hike between 7000 ft (2134 m) and 14000 ft (4200 m). I'll do from 4 to 12 miles (6 to 20 km) in a day, ranging as much as 5000 ft (1500 m) of elevation change. I carry up to 20 lb (9 kg) on day hikes, about 45 lb (20 kg) on backpacks. Overnights are usually from one to three nights. Often I hike off-trail on challenging talus, snowfields, or willow brakes, with occasional bouldering.

      Backpacking Agenda & Field Testing applicable to this test:
      I intend to test the Deuter ACT Lite 65+10 in both summer and fall weather conditions in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and also some in the Colorado Plateau high desert Four Corners region. My backpack trips usually run 2-3 nights, sometimes 4-5; I'm planning at least 10 days of hiking to test this backpack. Since this pack is about 20% larger than my current backpack, I want to test how it loads my usual collection of gear, plus a few extras (such as bulkier clothes or more food). Although normally I take everything I need for myself in one pack (going solo or with one partner), I would like to test this pack for carrying some of my girlfriend's gear, who's pack must remain light. Thus on at least two 2-3 overnight trips I'll add 10-20% more weight than I usually take with me (i.e. about 38 lbs (17 kg)). Will the torso, waist belt, shoulder straps and other adjustments be able to accommodate my back, hips and shoulders? I'm also looking forward to seeing how the back suspension system works to keep me cool and ventilated. Will the 5 exterior compartments plus the main compartment work for my system of packing gear (but I'll change if offered a better system!)?

      Temperatures in the areas I'll be hiking will vary from around freezing to over 80 F (27 C). I expect some rain, maybe some snow. Trail conditions will vary from smooth to rocky, flat to steep.

      Previously Written Reports:
      None at this time.

      Owner Reviews (Completed - First two published):
      REI PINNACLE 35 TECHNICAL DAY PACK (April 15, 2013)

      The Lighter Company SOLO CANDLE LIGHTER (May 30, 2013)

      Both completed reviews can be found at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/geartest7000

      Owner Reviews (In progress):
      LATITUDE 40 Trail Map Series

      Completed Tests: