Application: REI Flash Bag - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2013

      I apologize this is last minute. I hope you can give this a consideration!

      1) Please accept my application to test the REI Flash Sleeping Bag I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapters 4 and 5 and will comply with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the minimum expected use requirements.
      2) Bio
      Name: Brett Haydin
      Age: 40
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 195 lb (88.50 kg)
      Waist: 36 in (91 cm)
      Email: bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com
      Location: Denver, Colorado USA

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being involved in the Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer camp leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous terrain, although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as well. I take one or two longer trips each year, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18 kg). I prefer to be prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight trips as well.
      3) Test Plan
      July � November: Over the testing period I will take roughly two trips per month ranging from 1-2 nightseach; generally about 8 nights per 4-month test. My backpacking trips take me to the top of 14,000 ft. (4,267 m) peaks as well as alpine lakes, just for kicks! My plans will take me to several base camp locations near several peaks where I will hike, summit, descend and repeat. I�ll see snow, high winds and temperatures as low as 30 F (-1 C) but perhaps as high as 90 F (32 C) along steep trails, scree slopes and all sorts of nasty environments. Overnight temperatures are not generally that cold, but will definitely come close to the temperature limits towards the last month of the series. I do have an insulated sleeping pad to help in the colder months. My new job has me traveling a bit, so where possible, I may sneak in an overnight trip in other parts of the country. I love that it is a blend of synthetic and down and am curious to see how that transfers both into comfort and packed size. My feet sometimes get cold because of condensation in a tent, so the waterproof feature will also be great to test. And of course the usual comments on zipper snags, roominess and durability will all be considered in my reports.

      4) Current Tests and Stage (2):
      - Artisana Foods (LTR)
      - Helly Hansen Pants (FR due 7/23/13)

      Status Page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1823.htm