APPLICATION - adidas Terrex Shoes - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2013
      Kurt,

      Please accept my app for this sleeping bag. I'm sorry this is late, but I just got BIP from my trip.

      1. DISCLAIMER

      I have read the test requirements stated in BGT tester bylaws, v. 0609, and I promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities. My test agreement has been submitted and is on file.

      2. MY BRIEF BIO

      Name - Derek Hansen
      Age - 36
      Gender - Male
      Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight - 170 lb (77 kg)
      Electronic Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|daught}com
      Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a 3-season overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast. I prefer simple, multi-use gear that I can rely on in a variety of conditions.

      3. BRIEF TEST PLAN & CONDITIONS

      When most people I talk with think of Arizona, they picture a desert a dry, warm climate. Flagstaff, in contrast, is a cold, wet place--markedly different than southern Arizona. Flagstaff is situated on the edge of the Colorado Plateau, surrounded by pine trees and aspen, and boasts more than 100 inches (254+ cm) of snowfall each year. At 7,000 ft (2,100 m) elevation, Flagstaff gets a wide-range of conditions, including summer monsoons, strong winds, and moderate summer temperatures.

      I primarily hammock camp, so that is where I will primarily test this bag. What intrigues me about this bag is the dual insulation use, which may play nicely with a hammock since synthetic doesn't compress as much as down and will provide better insulation in a hammock. In the next few months when temperatures are warm enough, I may even be able to go without an under quilt completely.

      I have several upcoming trips over the next 4-5 months that could see some great testing conditions for this bag. I expect to have a few day hikes and a few solo overnighters as well.

      8/30-31: Oak Creek backpacking. Multiple creek crossings and basic canyoneering where we will hike through the creek.
      9/13-14: Car camping in Flagstaff.
      9/19-21: Paria Canyon. I may do this hike in September, depending on scheduling. This trek will likely destroy whatever shoe I decide to bring. Most of the hike will be in the water, mud, and silt.
      9/27-28: Wet Beaver Creek. Backpacking up another river with lots of creek crossings.
      10/18-19: West Clear Creek. Backpacking another canyon in Arizona.

      4. CURRENT LOAD AND TEST STATUS PAGE

      Report Uploads: 10 @ -1

      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

      5. OWNER REVIEWS
      I have completed four (5) owner reviews in 2013.

      6. OUTSTANDING APPLICATIONS
      None.

      7. ADDITIONAL BGT ROLES

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

      I am a test monitor and editor.

      I am also working on the BGT web development team to design and deploy the new BackpackGearTest website. This is an on-again, off-again project. Mostly off.
    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2013
        Hot dang. Copy and paste error in the subject. Sorry BridGeT!

        ~derek