Application: REI Half Dome 2 tent - Kerri Larkin

  • Kerri Larkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2013
      Please accept my application to test the REI .

      I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws (v. 0609) including Chapter 5. I agree to follow all instructions and fulfill all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kerri Larkin
      EMAIL: kerrilarkin AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 51
      LOCATION: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 247 lb (112.00 kg)

      I've been a camper and bushwalker for over thirty years. But have returned to walking after some years away due to injuries. I'm learning to use lightweight gear and love exploring with the lightest kit possible. I've travelled most of eastern Australia, walking in landscapes as diverse as tropical rainforest, snow fields, beaches and deserts.

      TEST PLAN:
      The REI Half Dome 2 tent looks to be quite a tent! Living in Australia, I�ve never had the opportunity to visit an REI store or use their products, but I know of their reputation for quality products. I�d love the opportunity to experience an REI tent for myself. I will be sharing the tent on occasions with another entity: either a friend who is traveling with me and doesn�t own a tent, or my dog who also doesn�t own a tent.

      My test schedule for for this test would include regular camping weekends between now and October (at least twice per month) which will involve both hiking and vehicle based trips as we clear forest tracks in my area after the huge wind storms of the last six months. I also have a five night base-camping trip in early October. I expect conditions for these trips to vary from overnight lows of around 16 C (61 F) to -2C (28 F), depending on the weather. I�m expecting frost, heavy dew, probable rain, and maybe even some sunny trips if I�m lucky!

      Immediately following the October base-camp trip, I have a three week trip to the Flinders Ranges in South Australia booked. This will be a mix of car-camping and hiking. This is a desert environment so should give quite a different set of conditions to test the tent. Again, I�ll expect very cold nights and quite warm days with no rain. This would be the perfect place to test the tent without the fly.

      There�s a few things about this design that have really piqued my curiosity:
      How easy is it to erect a tent with this three-pole design?
      Does the colour coding work in low light - like night set-ups?
      How well do the vents work? It can get mighty hot here at times
      Does the tent remain waterproof when the vents are closed? I�m expecting some strong winds during this test and would like to know if water can work its way through those vests.
      How easy is it to install the fly? The colour coding should make it easy for a fly-challenged camper like me.
      Weather resistance: how does a tent of this design cope with strong winds?
      Liveability: I�ll be using it for extended periods and would love to know how the extra space of this design increases my enjoyment of camping.

      CURRENTLY TESTING:
      Tilley Cammo hat - FR due mid September
      Bear Grylls Intense torch - FR due 03 September
      Cascade Designs LuxuryLite cot - LTR due 06 August so will be completed by the commencement of this test

      ORs IN LAST 12 MONTHS
      Sorry, nil. No new gear purchased.

      CURRENT APPLICATIONS
      Nil

      OTHER BGT DUTIES
      Monitor: Carhartt Mens T-shirt - IR completed
      Tilley Mash-Up hat - IR phase just edited

      PREVIOUS TESTS:
      My reports can be read at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Bumper

      I trust my application will recommend itself to you and thank you for your consideration.

      Kind Regards,

      Kerri Larkin