Application: REI Flash Air Pad - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2013
      Hi Kurt,

      Please consider my application to test the REI Flash Insulated Air Pad. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

      Tester information:
      · Nancy Griffith
      · 47
      · Female
      · 5’6” (1.68 m)
      · 130 lb (59 kg)
      · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
      · Northern California, USA

      Backpacking background:
      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails. The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania. I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long. I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and trekking poles.

      Test plan or strategy:
      I would absolutely love to try out this pad on our upcoming JMT trip!  I have insulated air pads and lightweight air pads but this is a nice combination of both.  Temperatures in the High Sierra get below freezing any time of year and the last 11 days of our trip will be from 10,000 to 14,494 ft.  I'm hesitant to go without an insulated pad but I hate to carry the extra weight.  It's a quandary.  I'm very interested in how durable it will be over a 23 day trip, how warm it will be in cooler temps, how 'cool' in warmer temps and how well the mummy shape works with our double quilt and pad coupler straps.  Do the outer tubes help to keep me in place?  I'm curious how the dual flat valves work with one for inflation and one for deflation.  Does it double my chances of a valve leak?  Is the pad noisy especially since I'll be using a quilt?  Does it pack small?

      Test Conditions: (Firm Plans)
      August/September: 3-week trip: John Muir Trail, Sierra Nevada: 220 miles (354 km); 4,000 to 14,494 ft (1,219 to 4,418 m) elevation; below freezing to 85 F (0 to 30 C).  Terrain will vary and include, sand, dirt, pine needles, rocks and total granite.

      We backpack at least once per month which we'll resume once our JMT hike is over.

      I haven't submitted any ORs in 2013.  YIKES.
      My reviews can be viewed at:http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ngriffith

      My current tests are:
      GSI Pack Kitchen: LTR due 8/6
      Helly Hansen Flow jacket: LTR due 9/3
      La Sportiva Hyper Mid GTX boots: FR due 9/3
      Carhartt Force T-shirt: FR date not set
      Tilley Mash-up hat: IR due 7/23

       Labor of Love: Test Director, Monitor

      I have no other applications pending.
      Thank you for considering my application.

      Nancy