Application - REI Flash Bag - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2013
      Hi Kurt,

      Please accept my application to test the REI Flash Bag. I have read and understand the entire BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v0609 including Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Tester Information:
      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lb (88 kg)
      Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country:  Lyons, Colorado, USA

      I have backpacked extensively throughout the southwestern United States my entire life. I prefer a lightweight approach using tarp tents and trail shoes so that I can save my strength for clocking miles. I hike on average 4 m daily from my back door and also enjoy trips up to 5 days in the backcountry. I encounter elevation from 5,000 ft to 14,000 ft and temperatures from below 0 F to 90 F.

      Test Plan:

      I will be in the Rocky Mountains the entire testing period. I have numerous trips planned in the Indian Peaks Wilderness area as well as in Rocky Mountain National Park throughout the coming months. I am generally spending at least one night if not two per week in the backcountry. I will be encountering everything from high desert around 5,500 ft with rocky and dry climates, to alpine tundra around 11,000 ft to 14,000 ft where I may experience heavy rain and lightening, sleet, and even snow. I will be primarily camping with at least one other person if not with a small group of four or five.

      This is an interesting bag. I like that there are both goose down and synthetic insulation used. I look forward to finding out if the combination is a good idea or not. I will also be looking to see if the waterproof sections of the bag are indeed going to keep moisture out. This being the lightest weight bag that REI makes, I can't wait to see how much it compresses and how well it fits into my pack. If the recorded weight of the bag is correct, this could become a new favorite on my numerous backpacking trips.

      Current Test Load: La Sportiva GTX Boots (FR Stage), Optic Nerve Sunglasses (IR awaiting editing), Platypus SPrinter Daypack (IR Stage)
      Tester status page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1896.htm
      Owner Reviews in past year: 13
      Link to reviews/tests: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/alexlegg
      Outstanding applications: REI Half Dome 2 Tent
      Additional BGT roles: None at this time.

      Thank you for the consideration!