Application - REI Half Dome 2 Tent - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2013
      Hi Kurt,

      Please accept my application to test the REI Half Dome 2 Tent. I have read and understand the entire BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v0609 including Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Tester Information:
      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lb (88 kg)
      Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country:  Lyons, Colorado, USA

      I have backpacked extensively throughout the southwestern United States my entire life. I prefer a lightweight approach using tarp tents and trail shoes so that I can save my strength for clocking miles. I hike on average 4 m daily from my back door and also enjoy trips up to 5 days in the backcountry. I encounter elevation from 5,000 ft to 14,000 ft and temperatures from below 0 F to 90 F.

      Test Plan:
      I will be in the Rocky Mountains the entire testing period. I have numerous trips planned in the Indian Peaks Wilderness area as well as in Rocky Mountain National Park throughout the coming months. I am generally spending at least one night if not two per week in the backcountry. I will be encountering everything from high desert around 5,500 ft with rocky and dry climates, to alpine tundra around 11,000 ft to 14,000 ft where I may experience heavy rain and lightening, sleet, and even snow. I will be primarily camping with at least one other person if not with a small group of four or five.

      I am looking to see how convenient the tent is to pack, as well as how easy it is to set up and take down. I often find myself setting up shelter in adverse conditions, so an easy to pitch tent is always ideal. I also am very interested to see how effectively the tent can keep water on the outside where it belongs as well as how well ventilated it is to avoid condensation inside.

      I like that there are dual vestibules and doors to allow both occupants a stress free exit for those late night bathroom breaks, as well as an easy entrance when the weather is bad and the mud is thick. I look forward to putting this tent to the test and reporting back on all that I have reviewed!

      Current Test Load: La Sportiva GTX Boots (FR Stage), Optic Nerve Sunglasses (IR awaiting editing), Platypus SPrinter Daypack (IR Stage)
      Tester status page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1896.htm
      Owner Reviews in past year: 13
      Link to reviews/tests: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/alexlegg
      Outstanding applications: None at this time
      Additional BGT roles: None at this time.

      Thank you for the consideration!