Corrected: Test call: a Half Dome is better than no Dome at all

  • Kurt Papke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2013
      "This is after all a 2-person *tent*"

      On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Kurt Papke <kwpapke@...> wrote:
      > REI and BGT would like to offer 3 lucky testers the opportunity to be
      > warm and dry in their newly redesigned Half Dome 2 tent:
      >
      > http://www.rei.com/product/845478/rei-half-dome-2-tent
      >
      > The Half Dome has been an REI stalwart for years, but they've made
      > lots of improvements for Part Deux. Here's the particulars for you:
      >
      > 1. This is a full 4-month total test with an IR, FR, and LTR
      > 2. Newbie limit DOES apply, newbs cannot send an app if they have a
      > test in progress.
      > 3. US shipping included
      > 4. Andrea is the mod
      > 5. Subject line for your app: "Application: REI Half Dome 2 tent -
      > <your name here>"
      > 6. Closes: Monday July 22nd at midnight MST
      > 7. CC: kwpapke(at)gmail(dot)com with your app so I don't miss it
      >
      > What I'll be looking for in your application specific to this test:
      > - Overnight plans: a tent has to be slept in on the trail in a variety
      > of conditions to assess it, so I'll be paying particular attention to
      > the detail of your backpacking agenda.
      > - Might be nice if your hiking plans included a partner for 1+ trips.
      > This is after all a 2-person test, so some use with multiple occupants
      > counts. Your partner wouldn't have to be human (dog maybe?), just an
      > entity that takes up space.
      >
      > We haven't had a lot of test calls for tents, and we'd certainly like
      > to encourage REI as a BGT partner, so I would greatly appreciate your
      > application for this series.
      >
      > --Kurt
    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2013
        Hi Kurt!

        Please accept my application to test the REI Half Dome 2 Tent.

        I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapter 5 and will comply
        with all of the reporting terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement
        is on file. I will have no difficulty meeting the expected use requirements.

        Biographical Information:
        Name: Michael Mosack
        Age: 49
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6’01” (1.85 m)
        Weight: 236.0 lbs (107.0 kg)
        Email Address: mosack at earthlink dot net
        San Diego, California, USA

        Date: July 14, 2013

        My Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, Canada California and Grand Canyon, Arizona to Afghanistan and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter whenever possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

        Testing plan: Wow – the REI Half Dome having been around for such a long time, is about as iconic of a backpacking product as it gets. I would be very happy to have an opportunity to test this tent and see if this latest version stacks up to what the manufacturer claims it will. I have begun to take on short segments of the Pacific Crest Trail here is Southern California and my need for this tent is obvious as I am planning on working my way north from the border of Mexico. At times I will be partnered with my 6’2” (1.88 m) son or my dog so having room to move around and sleep comfortably is important.

        I expect terrain and conditions to include dry, open, flat, desert, to mountainous forested areas where temperatures drop and weather comes in. Being so tall, I have struggled with tents providing adequate head room whether laying down or sitting up. The REI Half Dome 2 Tent hopefully will be the tent to fit me and my style of backpacking.

        There are so many features that REI has been “perfecting” over the years on this tent. I won’t list them all here, but I will report on all of them during testing.

        1.. The tent comes with color-coded poles so is the tent easy to set up? Even in the dark?
        2.. Is the tent lightweight and easy to carry compared to its size?
        3.. Are the doors large enough and the zippers easy to operate one-handed?
        4.. Will the tent material stand up to the harsh sun blazing down on me in Southern California or will colors fade? Will it keep me dry in the rain? Does it need seam sealing and how well will the bath tub floor keep my tent interior protected?
        5.. Will the gear pockets, loops, tie downs and seams hold up, or rip at the stitching?
        6.. There are multiple storage options – it this too much unnecessary weight added to the tent?
        7.. How well does this tent vent and will moisture collect inside?
        8.. How easy is the minimalist set up option with just the rain fly, poles and stakes? How much weight savings will I benefit from?
        9.. I will test this tent in various situations by checking size vs. weight/pack-ability, operation, convenience, gear access, quality of manufacturing and comparison of manufacturer’s claims to product capabilities.

        I will have numerous overnight trips to draw my conclusions from. My testing plan includes extended time in the field, day and night in varying climates and terrain, to include rocky desert floor to forested mountains from below sea-level to over 7,000 feet (180 m) above. I plan to use the REI Half Dome 2 Tent as my only tent during this test. I am looking forward to having this with me.

        My tester status link: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1872.htm

        Previously Written Reports
        Owner Reviews: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/mosack however none within this past year.

        Current Tests…
        Kindle Cook and Café cook set.
        Mountainsmith Red Rock 25L Day pack

        I have no pending applications.
        Labors of love – Test monitor for Cascade Designs - LuxuryLiteR UltraLight Cot.

        Thank you for your consideration!