IR - Tilley Camo Hat - Kerri Larkin

  • Kerri Larkin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2013
      Hi Mystery Monitor!

      Please find following my IR on the Tilley Camo hat. The HTML can be found HERE or at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Tilley%20Camo%20hat%20-%20Kerri%20Larkin/

      Looking forward to your edits.

      Kind regards,

      Kerri

      NAME: Kerri Larkin
      EMAIL: kerrilarkin AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 52
      LOCATION: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
      GENDER: Female
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 253 lb (113 kg)
      I've been a car-camper and bushwalker for over thirty years. Mostly I do day hikes as my passion is photography, which means I walk very slowly! I've returned to walking after some years away due to injuries and I'm learning to use Ultralight gear (and my hammock!). I've traveled most of eastern Australia, walking in landscapes as diverse as tropical rainforest, snow fields, beaches and deserts. My fortieth birthday was spent trekking in Nepal which was a truly life changing experience.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Tilley Endurables
      Product Name: LT3C Snap-Up Camouflage Hat
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: www.tilley.com
      MSRP: US$ 78
      Listed weight: 4.8 oz (136 g)
      Measured weight: 3.5 oz (103 g)
      Brim Size:
      Listed - 2 3/4" (7 cm) front and back, 2 3/8" (6 cm) at the sides
      Measured - 2.8" (7.2 cm) front and back, 2.6" (6.5 cm) at the sides
      Materials: 100% Cordura nylon with water repellent finish, British brass hardware.
      Colours: Multi-Camouflage Print only
      Protection: UPF 50+
      Rain Repellent
      Floats due to closed cell foam in the crown
      Care instructions: Wash frequently using a delicate machine-wash cycle, or hand wash in cool water. Do not use bleach. Smooth and reshape the hat and air dry. Once dry, re-stretch to fit.
      Guarantee: Guaranteed for life against wearing out or falling apart.
      Insured against loss: if lost in the first two years it will be replaced at 50% of the current catalogue price

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Tilley Hat. It's spoken of with an almost hushed reverence it seems: the Tilley hat (hereafter called the Tilley, or the hat) appears to have something of a cult following among hat wearers. In fact, I became aware of the brand some years ago when I first returned to walking and camping. It was loud and clear: Tilley was the hat to own. Funny thing was, I never did get around to buying one as I was a bit skeptical about how well a hat bought online would fit. When I was offered the opportunity to test a Tilley hat for BackpackGearTest.org, I was over the moon. At last I'd get to experience the joys of owning my own Tilley.

      Selecting the size for my hat was made very easy thanks to clear instructions on the website, and I'm pleased to say despite my anxiety about ordering online, my hat fits perfectly! It arrived in a large box, which really surprised me: The hat sat in the box in all its glory - no squashed and wrinkled apparition, here was a Tilley hat ready to wear right out of the box, so to speak. Attached to the hat were a few cards and labels, one stating the hat was "proudly made in Canada, where we can keep a watchful eye". Another explains that although the hat is rated at UPF 50+ in terms of blocking harmful UV rays, it's still important to wear sunscreen and sunglasses. Inside the hat was an instruction booklet and eight "Brag Tags" which request the person being presented with the tag to buy me a beer because I'm wearing a Tilley hat. It will be interesting to see if that happens during my test phase. Tilley are happy to send me more, free of charge, once I've given the standard eight tags away.

      Caption: 2 Some of the tags and information which came with my hat.

      There were no loose threads and every seam looked well finished.

      This Tilley hat is in a multi-camouflage print, which gives it a military look. This is compounded by the ability to snap the brim up on one, or both, sides. With one side snapped up, it looks like an Australian Army hat, so it looks right at home here. The hat looks quite tall, but that's because Tilleys are designed to be worn low on the head and should be touching the eyebrows if worn correctly. I'm not used to wearing a hat so low, but it immediately felt comfortable to do so.

      There are two large brass grommets on each side of the hat and these are for ventilation. There is also a brass press-stud on each side of the hat which allows the brim to be snapped up. I know the reason the military snap the brim up on one side is to allow carrying of a rifle without it banging the hat brim all the time, but I have no idea why someone would want to snap up both sides, other than as a style statement.

      Caption: Large ventilation grommets, press-stud and wind cord grommets

      The brim is listed as 2 3/4 inches (7 centimetres) at the front and back, and 2 3/8 inches (6 centimetres) at the sides, although mine is a little larger, which is still not a large brim. However, because the hat is worn so low, it feels like a much larger brim. The brim is stitched with concentric circles radiating out from the centre like ripples on a pool. I'm guessing this is to give some strength to the brim and to stop it being very floppy. I'll be interested to see how this works with use. Commonly, I stuff a hat in my pack when not being used, but the instructions recommend filling the hat with socks or other soft items, to help it keep it's shape and stop it wrinkling. Perhaps the fashion-conscious backpacker wouldn't be seen with a wrinkled hat, but I'm less concerned about that!

      Caption: Detail of the rings sewn around the brim

      Inside the hat is a sewn-in patch with information about the hat and washing instructions in both English and French. Another small patch provides a place to write my name and contact details.

      Up in the crown of the hat is the 'Secret Pocket" which is held closed by a hook-and-loop tab. This pocket could be used to hold some emergency cash, cards or anything small. Opening the pocket reveals the closed-call foam located in the crown of the hat, and allows the whole crown to be used for storage.

      Threaded through two smaller grommets on each side is the wind cord. The way this is configured is to provide two loops that hang down from the hat, rather than a single chin strap. The idea is that this can be used with one strap under the chin and the other behind the head 'Mountie' style. The recommendation is to use both straps if it's windy, or just the rear strap in gentle breezes.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The hat came with a folded booklet which is filled with humour. That was perhaps the first thing I noticed on the Tilley website - the humour. It's lovely to see a company that doesn't take themselves or their products too seriously. All the information is in the instruction booklet, but it's presented in such a readable way it made me actually want to read the booklet from beginning to end, rather than feel I was enduring the instructions out of duty. This instruction book is simply fun!

      The first page gives a little history of the Tilley's development. The second page explains how to tell which is the front of the hat (both sides look similar), how to use the wind cord, how to retie the wind cord knot if needed, and a disclaimer about how the hat floats in most conditions, but can still be swamped and sink. The third page contains detailed washing and drying instructions, how to stretch the hat if it's a bit small, and information on UV protection. The last page has some usage ideas, information on both the insurance and guarantee and a little about how the company started. This page also has contact information for the US, UK, and 'World headquarters' in Canada.

      Apparently, my hat is insured against loss in the first two years with a no questions asked discount of 50% off the current price of a replacement hat. Not many companies are that generous! Obviously, if I'm wearing the hat in a tornado without my chin strap, they won't cover that as it's my fault, but if it's otherwise lost, stolen or destroyed, I'm covered.

      There is also a lifetime guarantee (the brochure says, "Yours, mine, or its (the hats) life") against the hat wearing out. Simply pay the shipping costs and Tilley will send a replacement. That's also an amazing offer!

      TRYING IT OUT

      A hat is a hat right? Nope! The Tilley is worn quite differently to most hats: it sits very low on the head. When I first put the hat on it felt a bit strange to have it sitting across my eyebrows, but after a few minutes it began to feel very natural indeed. The fit is also quite loose (Tilley recommends being able to fit two fingers inside the brim) so it's held on by gravity rather than pressure on the head. That feels really nice! Many hats feel like they squeeze my head if they are tight enough to stay on, but Tilley decided it was not the best way and came up with the wind cord to keep the hat on rather than pressure. I love it! I'm also pleased to report that the instructions for selecting hat size on the website were clear and easy to follow. My hat fits exactly as recommended.

      Caption: Various views of the Tilley on a test dummy

      The press-studs on the side are easy to use to turn the side brims up on either side, or both sides. They require a firm pressure to engage, so won't pop out unexpectedly.

      I was a little concerned to find a piece of closed-cell foam in the crown as I get very hot, especially in the head. I wonder whether this will insulate the hat and keep the heat in, or whether the ventilation grommets will be enough to keep my head cool. It's something I will be paying close attention to during this test.

      Putting the hat on requires a bit of juggling to get the wind cord in the right place, but I'm sure I'll get more used to that with more experience. The option is to use both wind cord loops, only the back loop, or the front loop. I can also use neither of them by tucking them into the crown. Adjusting the loops is very easy thanks to a knot which appears to be a double fisherman's knot - it simply slides the two ends of the rope closer or further apart without needing to be retied. Once fully adjusted, the wind cord feels very secure on my head, much more so than just a single strap.

      I was wondering how such a low-riding hat would work with sunglasses or reading glasses and I'm pleased to say that so far, it manages both very easily.

      That concludes my Initial Report on the Tilley LT3C Snap-Up Camouflage Hat. I'd like to thank both Tilley Endurables and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this item. Please check back in around two months for my Field Report.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2013
        Hi Kerri,

        Let me do this real quick. (I am heading out with the kids for an overnighter in an hour, my Tilley will be along.) Nice job on the IR, edits are below. Have fun testing it.

        Ray

        ***Tilley are happy to send me more, free of charge, once I've given the standard eight tags away.

        EDIT: Tilley "is" happy to send (or, the Tilley folks are happy to send)

        ***The brim is listed as 2 3/4 inches (7 centimetres) at the front and back, and 2 3/8 inches (6 centimetres)

        Edit/comment: standard form is to use a hyphen on fractionalized inches, (2-3/8) or to turn them into a decimal (2.4)

        ***the instructions recommend filling the hat with socks or other soft items, to help it keep it's shape

        EDIT: to keep "its" shape

        ***Opening the pocket reveals the closed-call foam located in the crown of the hat,

        EDIT: closed-cell
      • Kerri Larkin
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2013
          Hi Ray,

          Thanks for stepping in with the edit. All changes made and file uploaded. Hope you had a great camp.

          Kind Regards,

          Kerri