IR: Optic Nerve Pipeline sunglasses - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2013
      Larry, et al?

      Here is my Initial Report on the Optic Nerve Pipeline sunglasses.

      The HTML file is available via this link: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Optic%20Nerve%20Pipeline%20sunglasses%20-%20Christensen/

      and the text version is include below for your review.

      Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.  Ryan

      INITIAL REPORT
      July 09, 2013

      Reviewer Information
      Name:  Ryan L. Christensen
      Age:  48
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight:  235 lb (107 kg)
      Email:  bigdawgryan(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country:   Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA

      Backpacking Background
      I began backpacking at twelve, continuing until 25. After an extended hiatus, due in part to a bad back, I resumed cycling, hiking, and backpacking several years ago. I also began snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. I share my love for backpacking and these sports with my children. I am a midweight backpacker, but carry a full array of necessary gear.

      Product Information:

      The information below came from Optic Nerve's website.
      Manufacturer:     Optic Nerve
      Manufacturer website:     http://www.opticnerve.com
      Place of Manufacture:     China
      Year Manufactured:     2013
      Materials:     Frame: TR90 Grilamid Nylon
                          Lenses: polycarbonate
      Sizes Available:     one size: for medium to larger face shapes
      Colors Available:     Matte Black, Matte Red, Matte White
      Warranty:     Optic Nerve Lifetime Limited Warranty:
      "Optic Nerve will warranty any sunglasses against manufacturer's defects for the life of the product. Optic Nerve will either replace or repair your glasses."
      MSRP:     $49 US

      Product Specifications
      Manufacturer's Specifications

      Weight: N/A

      Tester's Actual Measurements

      Weight: 0.95 oz (27 g) [frame and one set of lenses]

      Product Description:

      The Pipeline is one of nine models of sunglasses that constitute Optic Nerve's Deuce Series. According to the Optic Nerve website, the Pipeline sunglasses are "Great for getting outdoors hiking, road/mountain biking skiing, running, you name it." The sunglasses in the Deuce series include two interchangeable lenses. One set of lenses are smoke w/flash mirror, which Optic Nerve says are for use in bright sun. The other lenses are copper, which Optic Nerve claims work best in variable light. The lenses have an anti-reflective coating intended to reduce light reflection from behind. They also have a hydrophobic clear coat, which is intended to repel water, dust and oil.

      The Pipeline sunglasses have Tactilite™ rubber bridge and temple pads to reduce slippage.

      Initial Impression:

      Albeit intended for value-conscious shoppers, which I take to mean entry-level or no frills, I was immediately impressed with the look and style of the Optic Nerve Pipeline sunglasses.

      Initial Testing:

      After I pulled the Pipeline sunglasses from their zippered clamshell case, carry bag, and protective plastic bag, my initial testing included a quick inspection of the sunglasses. I found everything to be in order; there were no noticeable flaws in the material or workmanship. With thesunglasses in hand, I immediately noticed that they are extremely lightweight. I liked the fact that the carry bag also held the extra interchangeable lenses. After inspecting the extra lenses, I quickly became interesed in trying to replace the lenses. Not wanting to damage the lenses, I quickly proceeded to look for instructions. Alas, I could find none included. Refusing to be beaten, I went to the website in hopes of learning the proper procedure for replacing the Pipeline lenses. Once again, I found none. Finally, I sent a quick email to Optic Nerve Customer Support. I received what seemed to be an immediate response, with links to "How-To" videos posted on YouTube. I
      clicked the supplied link, which took me to a video demonstrating how to replace lenses in the Pipeline sunglasses.
      [THREE PHOTOS HERE]

      Finally, I donned the sunglasses. They They fit my medium-size head/face nicely; not too loose and not too snug. The frame wraps around my face, which I hope will help keep the wind-blown particles out of my eyes and contacts. I liked the optical quality of the lenses. Although the lenses are not polarized, they seem to provide excellent visual clarity. I look forward to putting these sunglasses to the test.

      Initial Pros:

          style
          fit
          interchangeable lenses
          anti-reflective coating
          hydrophobic coating
          zippered clamshell storage case
          protective cloth storage bag

      Initial Potential Cons:

          no instructions on how to replace the interchangeable lenses were included

      This concludes my Initial Report on the Optic Nerve Pipeline sunglasses. Thanks to Optic Nerve and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test series.

    • asklarry99
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2013
        Hey Ryan-

        Here are the edits for Optic Nerve Pipeline IR. Sorry about the delay, but I hope I'm now back on track!

        Anyway, just a few small things to fix and you should be good to go. Please edit and upload when ready. I went back and re-read the test call for this one, and it says that it is a 2-report, 4 month test, so I took this to mean that no Field Report is needed. If I'm incorrect, I will let you know.

        See you in a couple of months

        -larry

        EDIT: With thesunglasses in hand
        >>>add space before `sunglasses'

        EDIT: I quickly became interesed in trying to replace the lenses.
        >>>interested

        EDIT: They They fit my medium-size head/face nicely;
        >>>delete one of the `They's
      • RyanC
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2013
          Larry,

          Thanks for the suggestions. I have incorporated all edits and posted in the appropriate folder. I also deleted my file from the TESTS folder.

          See you in a few months.

          Ryan