IR - Optic Nerve Pipeline Sunbglasses - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2013
      Hi Larry,

      I apologize for being a bit late on this IR, but with family in town and work to be done I just couldn't get it posted until now. The text version is below and the HTML is at http://tinyurl.com/n47smdf

      Thank you for your time and edits!

      ALex Legg

      Optic Nerve Pipeline Sunglasses
      Test Series by Alex Legg
      Initial Report July 5th, 2013

      Tester Information:
      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lb (88 kg)
      Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT comCity, State, Country:  Lyons, Colorado, USA

      I have backpacked extensively throughout the southwestern United States my entire life.  I prefer a lightweight approach using tarp tents and trail shoes so that I can save my strength for clocking miles. I hike on average 4 m (6 km) daily from my back door and also enjoy trips up to 5 days in the backcountry.  I encounter elevation from 5,000 ft to 14,000 ft (1,524 m to 4,267 m) and temperatures from below 0 F to 90 F (-18 C to 32 C).

      Product Information and Specifications:
      Manufacturer: Optic Nerve
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Listed Weight: Not Listed
      Measured Weight: .9 oz (25 g)
      Frame Color: Matte Black (also available in Matte Red and Matte White)
      Lens Color: Smoke with flash mirrors / Copper
      MSRP: $49.00 US

      Product Description and Initial Impressions:

      The Optic Nerve Pipeline Sunglasses come with two sets of interchangeable lenses. One set of lenses are a smoke with flash mirror for bright sunlight, while the other set are a high contrast copper that is best for variable light. So far I prefer the darker lenses for driving in the mid day sun. I like the copper lenses for walking in the hills by my house where the sun peaks from behind trees from time to time, but is not generally pointing directly into my eyes. It took a little more pressure than I had expected to pop out the dark lenses, but once I realized how much force was necessary, I was able to easily interchange the lenses.

      The glasses fit comfortably on my face. Two small rubber strips secure the shades above my ears and two others hold them tightly to my nose. The glasses are a bit large for my face, but I can't say that I am bothered by this. They give me such a easy visual perspective when looking into a glare that I am already sold on them.

      The glasses I am reviewing are black and come with a black carrying case. The case has a sturdy frame that seems like it can protect the glasses well. I feel very safe packing them into my backpack without worrying about anything banging up against the pack and damaging the glasses.

      Inside the hard case is a thin cloth case that can hold the shades as well as the two interchangeable lenses. I like that this case has two small hook-and-loop pockets for the lenses. It is a well organized system.

      At this point I like the Pipeline Glasses a lot! They are super comfortable and the dark lenses seem to do a great job of blocking direct sunlight and glare. I prefer the copper lenses for most activities so far with the exception of driving. I look forward to getting these shades on the trail and reporting back on how well the work for me.

      What I like:
      1. Comfortable
      2. Sturdy
      3. Well organized case

      What I don't like:
      1. Lenses are a bit tough to pop out.
    • asklarry99
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2013
        Hi Alex-

        No prob---as you've no doubt noticed, I'm a little slow with my edits these days. Too much work, not enough backpacking :(

        Anyway, nice report, and I'm glad that you like the glasses so far. You'll have to see how you like them after 4 months of use!

        I have a few changes and suggestions for you, so fix and upload when ready.
        See you in 4 months.

        -larry

        EDIT: Email address: alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT comCity, State, Country: Lyons, Colorado, USA
        >>>please put the City,State, Country on a new line!

        EDIT : They give me such a easy visual perspective
        >>>*an* easy visual perspective

        Edit: At this point I like the Pipeline Glasses a lot!
        >>>suggest adding a comma after `point', and I would also recommend referring to the glasses as the `Optic Nerve Pipeline Glasses' but your call
      • alex
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2013
          Hi Larry,

          Thank you for your edits! I have made changes and uploaded to the BGT site.

          -Alex Legg