FR - Helly Hansen - H2 Flow Jacket - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2013
      Kathy,
      Below is the text version of my FR.
      Thanks in advance for the edits. Hope I haven't made it too difficult.

      The full HTML should be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/lcqfp67

      HELLY HANSEN H2 FLOW JACKET
      TEST SERIES BY EDWIN MORSE
      FR
      July 07, 2013

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      The first few weeks after I received the jacket were on the cool side,
      generally 32 F (0 C) to 40 F (4 C), especially in the mornings. I wore the
      jacket every day for shopping and day hikes until the weather finally
      realized it was spring.
      I've done three backpacking trips since receiving the jacket.
      May 2 & 3, 2013 First overnight hike of the year, on the Manistee River
      Trail/ North Country Trail loop, located southwest of the village of Mesick,
      Michigan. When we started hiking each morning it was 40 F (4 C), the high
      later was 69 F (21 C). There were a few hours of light rain the first
      afternoon and again during the night. Here is a picture taken near Red Hill
      Lookout soon after we started hiking the second morning.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "cool morning" IMAGE CAPTION = "spring
      hike">>
      May 18 & 19, 2013 was an overnight hike near the village of Fife Lake,
      Michigan. More than half of this hike was bushwhacking since I was flagging
      a proposed new trail. The temperature was 52 F (11 C) when I started hiking.
      I wore the HH jacket most of the morning. The high later in the day was 72 F
      (22 C).
      June 4 through June 13, 2013 backpacking on the North Country Trail from
      Brevoort Lake west of St Ignace, Michigan to Tahquamenon Falls State Park,
      west of Paradise, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The first few mornings
      the low temperature was around 40 F (4 C). Most days the high was about 70 F
      (21 C), except for two days that reached 85 F (29 C).

      I also did two days of trail maintenance where I wore the jacket the first
      few hours in the mornings. Here is a picture from the second day when three
      of us were mowing the trail with two mowers.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "ready to quit" IMAGE CAPTION = "mowing
      trail">>
      I wore the jacket most of the day while moving down branches or taking my
      turn running one of the mowers.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The Helly Hansen H2 Flow jacket has done very well for me. It provides
      comfort over a wide range of weather conditions. Hiking in the Upper
      Peninsula I found a variety of weather conditions. The first night at
      Brevoort Lake was just chilly enough that the jacket was welcome.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "at Brebvoort Lake CG" IMAGE CAPTION =
      "campsite at Brevoort Lake">>
      The next night at Carp River I was hot and sweaty when we found the
      campsite. By the time I had my tent up and filtered water I was feeling
      tired and cold. The thermometer did not indicate that it was especially cold
      but I felt cold enough to need a down liner under the Helly Hansen jacket.
      Perception is reality - when I feel cold I am cold regardless what a
      thermometer indicates.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Carp River" IMAGE CAPTION = "camping at Carp
      River">>
      The next to last day or our hike we camped at the Rivermouth Campground on
      the Tahquamenon River. I was comfortable wearing just a tee shirt until the
      fog rolled in.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Rivermouth CG" IMAGE CAPTION = "foggy
      afternoon">>
      Then the damp chill sent me back to my tent for the jacket. Soon after I put
      on the jacket the fog was so thick we couldn't see across the river.

      SUMMARY

      The Helly Hansen H2 Flow jacket fills the niche between cold enough to need
      a warm jacket and warm enough for just a tee shirt.

      I have washed the jacket once, after several day hikes and the first
      overnight hike. The white collar was looking rather gray and grubby. I
      followed the care directions and the jacket came out looking clean as new.

      So far, I have found nothing to not like about the jacket. It is comfortable
      on my bare skin. It is easy to layer, either over other shirts and jackets
      or as the insulation layer under a windbreaker.

      This concludes my Field Report.
      I would like to thank Helly Hansen and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me
      to use and test this interesting jacket.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.