IR - Optic Nerve Pipeline sunglasses Jen P

  • Jennifer Pope
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2013
      Hi Larry,

      Here's my IR for the Optic Nerve Pipeline glasses. Heading out in a
      couple hours to test these over the weekend. Blue sunny skies, high
      humidity and 90 F temps, looks like a good test!

      Thanks!

      Jen P.

      Optic Nerve Pipeline Sunglasses
      Test Report
      Last Updated: July 5, 2013

      Biographical Information Product Information Initial Report - July 5,
      2013 Long Term Report - coming soon Summary

      <pic>

      Biographical Information
      Name Jennifer Pope
      Age 32
      Gender Female
      Height 5 ft 7 in (1.7 m)
      Weight 140 lb (63 kg)
      Email Address Jennifer.Pope@...
      Location Connecticut USA
      Backpacking Background
      Intermediate. I've been a car-camper as long as I can remember and
      started backpacking in Northern California over a decade ago. I'm
      again taking a break from backpacking to hike and car camp with my two
      young daughters and my husband. My daughters are now old enough that
      they can hike shorter distances rather than being carried. We live on
      the Connecticut coast and hike around New England.

      Product Information (back to top)
      Manufacturer Optic Nerve
      Manufacturer URL http://opticnerve.com/
      Year of Manufacture 2013
      Frame Color matte black (also available in matte red and matte white)
      Lens Colors smoke w/flash mirror for bright sun and high contrast
      copper for variable light
      Claimed Weight NA
      Actual Weight .9 oz (25 g)
      MSRP $49 US
      Warranty Warranty protects against manufacturing defects not normal
      wear and tear (including scratched lenses). Warranty claims must be
      mailed to the company, with proof of purchase and a $15 processing
      fee. (from product packaging)

      ________________________________

      Initial Report
      July 5, 2013

      Initial Impressions & Product Description (back to top)

      My first thought upon opening these glasses is that they are very
      lightweight and have more of a classic look.

      Description

      The sunglasses are stored in a hard-sided zippered case. Inside the
      case is a cloth drawstring bag with two pockets for the other two
      lenses.

      The glasses themselves are lightweight plastic. The frame completely
      surrounds the lens except for a small cutout notch on each side. The
      Optic Nerve "N" logo is directly above this notch. The arms of the
      sunglasses have a small venting hole on each side near the lens as
      well. The lens shape is more square than I expected based on the
      website picture, which is preferable to me. It gives my eyes a little
      more coverage and it makes the glasses feel more modern and less like
      I'm wearing men's sunglasses (which is sometimes how I feel in unisex
      sunglasses). The glasses come with two sets of lenses. The traditional
      "smoke" lenses have a mirrored finish and are for regular sunny days.
      The copper colored lenses are for variable light. My hikes and early
      morning runs often take me in and out of dense tree coverage, so I'm
      curious how these copper lenses will work for me. I have never used
      colored lenses before.

      <pic>

      Smoke lenses installed, copper lenses in front.

      There are a few non-slip pads on the glasses in key places. The nose
      pads have non-slip pads. This is very important for me in the summer
      in the humidity. My sunglasses are constantly sliding down my face,
      which I find quite annoying. There are also non-slip pads at the very
      end of each arm. I found already that these are quite grippy when I
      moved the sunglasses from my face to the top of my head and pulled a
      few hairs out of my head. I hope this means they will stay put when
      I'm moving around in the humidity.

      <pic>

      <pic>

      Non-slip pads on the arm (top) and nose (bottom) of the sunglasses.

      When the glasses are folded up there are two 'tails' that stick out on
      either side. These little tails cause the glasses to be slightly askew
      in the case. They are just a teeny tiny bit too big for the case. The
      case still zippers normally; they just sit in the case a little oddly.
      Since this is the thinnest plastic on the glasses I worry that these
      tails might easily snap off. But for now, the crooked case placement
      is the only valid criticism.

      <pic>

      Vent 'tails' on the sides of the glasses when folded.

      Summary (back to top)

      These are lightweight sunglasses. They have a sporty look but aren't
      too masculine for female wearers.

      Please check back in about 4 months for the final installment of this report.

      Thank you to Optic Nerve and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to
      test this item.
    • asklarry99
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2013
        Hi Jen-

        Next time, can you please include a link to the html version of the test? (I think this is still a requirement...?)

        I have a few Edits and a couple of comments for you to consider. I think some minor adjustments would help the readability of the review.

        Fix and upload when ready. See you in 4 months!

        -larry

        Comment: Although I like the first photo, the others seem too close, at least for my tastes. You can leave if you like, or consider re-taking to give a broader view of what you are showing.

        Edit: Warranty protects against manufacturing defects not normal wear and tear (including scratched lenses). Warranty claims must be mailed to the company, with proof of purchase and a $15 processing fee. (from product packaging)
        >>>If this is a quote from the manufacturer, then fine. Otherwise, I would change the first sentence to "The warranty protects and manufacturing defects which does not include normal wear and tear" or something like that.

        Comment: My first thought upon opening these glasses is that they are very lightweight and have more of a classic look.
        >>>I understand the comment about being lightweight, but I really don't know what you mean by a `classic look'. Can you elaborate or clarify?

        Edits : The lens shape is more square than I expected based on the website picture, which is preferable to me.
        >>>squarer (per MS Word, although I could go either way,)
        >>>from your clause placement, I'm not sure if you prefer the more square or the less square shape. The way I read it, it seems you preferred the website version better, but I'm not sure.

        Comment: There are also non-slip pads at the very end of each arm.
        >>>My recollection (from when I did a sunglasses test) is that these are called `temples' but I could be wrong about thisÂ…

        Comment: I found already that these are quite grippy when I moved the sunglasses from my face to the top of my head and pulled a few hairs out of my head.
        >>>ouch!

        Comment: Did you try the glasses out at all? Any initial impressions?