Field Report - Helly Hansen Odin Fastpack Jacket - Shane Williams

  • coloradosherpa14k
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2013
      Hello Kara, below is my Field Report for the Helly Hansen Odin FastPack
      Jacket. Thanks for an extension while I was out of town and unable to
      access my home PC. Happy Editing!
      HTML Report:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/Helly%20Hansen%20Odin%20Fas\
      tpack%20Jacket%20-%20Shane%20Williams/
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/Helly%20Hansen%20Odin%20Fa\
      stpack%20Jacket%20-%20Shane%20Williams/>
      Text Report: Helly Hanson Odin Fastpack Jacket
      Test Series by Shane Williams
      Initial Review: April 10th, 2013
      Field Report: June, 2013
      Long Term Report: August, 2013
      Tester Information:
      Name: Shane WilliamsEmail: sherpa[dot]colorado[at]gmail.comAge:
      39Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USAGender: MaleHeight: 6' 0"
      (1.83 m)Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)Bio:
      As a child I lived in the last house on a dead end street. Just beyond
      my house was a wilderness area. I started hiking and exploring there,
      and I've never stopped. I started backpacking in the South Eastern
      Appalachian Mountains, including portions of the Appalachian Trail.
      Today I primarily hike in the Colorado Rockies. My pack weight is
      approximately 30 (13.61 kg) to 50 lbs (22.68 kg). I often carrying more
      gear than necessary hoping that I won't need it. I enjoy weekend
      excursions into the High Country with friends and lower elevation day
      trips with my family.
      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Helly HansenYear of Manufacture: 2012Manufacturer's
      Website: http://www.hellyhansen.com/Listed Weight: 8.47 oz (240
      g)Measured Weight: 8.47 oz (240 g)Test Size: MediumTest Color: Cobalt
      BlueListed Materials Helly Tech® Professional fabricsMSRP: 300
      USDAwards: All-Purpose Ultralight Backpacker magazine Gear guide
      2012Sizing Chart: Product Features:
      HELLY TECH® ProfessionalWaterproof and breathable fabricAdjustable
      cuffsReflective trimsOne hand cord adjustmentFully adjustable hood2.5
      ply light weight constructionVent through pockets designHelmet
      compatible
      (Courtesy of Helly Hansen)Initial Observations:
      Helly Hansen's Odin Fastpack Jacket is a light weight wind and water
      proof shell designed to provide protection from the elements. It's
      constructed from Helly Hansen's proprietary "Helly Tech Professional"
      material, which is a triple layer fabric. The manufacturer states that
      this fabric acts as an outer layer membrane that prevents water
      molecules from getting in, but allows moisture molecules to escape. This
      triple layer material is comprised of a waterproof breathable fabric
      between an inner layer of fabric and an outer layer fabric. The inner
      layer is a 100% polyurethane and the outer layer is 100 % polyamide.
      This is a diagram of the fabric as stated on the manufacturer's website.

      (Courtesy of Helly Hansen)
      (Courtesy of Helly Hansen)

      As I reviewed the product specifications for this item, I noticed that
      there seems to be a slight discrepancy between the details listed in the
      Product Features list and the HellyTech technology page. The product
      specifications state that this is a 2.5 ply construction, yet by the
      definition of the HellyTech Professional material, it's stated that this
      is a 3 ply material. The manufacturer does list the HellyTech
      Performance material as a 2.5 ply material, but the reflective print
      along the sleeve of the Odin Fastpack Jacket clearly states that this is
      a HellyTech Professional material. The Odin appears to be made of all
      the same material, but I suppose it's possible that there are two types
      of materials used in its construction. I've contacted the manufacturer
      requesting clarity as to which material was used and which ply it is. I
      hope to have an update from the manufacturer in my upcoming filed report
      in June.
      Tailoring The Fit
      The Odin has a series of 5 adjustment cords that can be used to tighten
      down the openings to reduce exposure to the outside elements. The first
      adjustment point is positioned on the backside of the hood. This hood
      adjuster has a pinch clip as well as a pull tab for easy adjustments.
      The second and third adjustment points are on the left and right front
      just below the hood. These adjusters have a pinch clip that and a pull
      chord that also has a solid plastic pull tab. The fourth and fifth
      adjustment points are located on the inside bottom hem and have a left
      and right adjustment which are offset from the front zipper.
      Hood Adjustments
      Hem Adjustments

      In addition to these shock cord type of adjusters, The Odin is also
      equipped with a hook and loop adjustable cuffs around the wrists. These
      cuffs have two separate Velcro type of closures. The first is a round
      patch which is intended to keep the flap attached to the jacket when the
      cuff is in its standard configuration. The second is a longer patch that
      is intended to be used when the cuff needs to be tightened
      down.Ventilation and Pockets
      A key feature of a reliable shell is keeping wind and more specifically
      water out. Another key feature is allowing bio-moisture to escape. The
      Odin Fastpack Jacket does this by providing two rather large ventilation
      zippers on the left and right front panels. Ideally these can be opened
      up to allow moisture to escape. These ventilation shafts also serve the
      dual purpose for creating large pockets on the inside. I will be
      interesting to see how this functions while trail running in a downpour.
      Perhaps the fabric is breathable enough to allow the sweat to escape
      without opening the ventilation zippers. However, if it isn't it would
      seem like opening these for ventilation would allow water from the
      outside to leak in.
      Front ventiliation zipper
      Pocket from the inside view.Zippers and Seams
      All of the zippers on The Odin come equipped with YKK Aquaguard water
      resistant zippers, which means that there is a polyurethane laminated
      tape that's used to seal and reinforce the bond to the jacket. The
      zippers also have stylish pull tabs to make it more functional. The
      seams are all double stitched and it looks like there is a very thin
      layer of coating over the seams on the outer layer of the jacket. The
      inner layer appears to be a standard double stitch.
      Front zipper and pull tab
      Internal double stitch seamPoints for Style
      This jacket also has a few a stylishly placed adorners that are
      reflective. On the top left panel, just below the collar bone the name
      "Helly Hansen" has been printed. The upper portion of the left sleeve
      there is a triangularly shaped design (known in Nordic mythology as
      Odin's triangle or Odin's knot) and the name "ODIN" is printed just
      below it. On the lower portion of the left sleeve the same reflective
      font states "HellyTech Professional", denoting the proprietary material
      with which the jacket is made. Lastly the back of the jacket has a
      larger version of the same Nordic mythological symbolism.
      Odin DesignGeneral Overview:
      Helly Hansen's Odin Fastpack jacket has made a remarkable first
      impression! The jacket is super light and does indeed compress down to
      almost nothing. When I put it on, I immediately loved the fit and feel.
      When ordering I used the sizing chart on the HellyHansen website and
      purposely sized it to fit snug. The sizing chart was very accurate and
      it fits like a glove. I look forward to getting out on the trails with
      this shell and seeing how it performs when stacked against the elements
      of the Rocky Mountains. This concludes my Initial Report, come back and
      find out how The Oden performs in the field with my Field Report due in
      June, 2013
      Field Report: July 2nd, 2013;Field Conditions:
      Location: Garden of the GodsDate: 04/16/2013 - 6 AMConditions:
      Snowy/Windy 21 F (-6.10 C)Activity: Trail Running
      Location: Garden of the GodsDate: 04/23/2013 - 6 AMConditions:
      Snowy/Windy 21 F (-6.10 C)Activity: Trail Running
      Location: Humboldt Peak ColoradoDate: 05/26/2013Conditions: Sunny/Cold
      25 F (-3.88 C) to 40 F (4.44 C)Activity: HikingField Report:
      During this series of testing I've had the opportunity to utilize the
      Odin Fastpack Jacket on several outings including trail runs, an ascent
      up Humboldt Peak, and around town. I've been very impressed with the
      performance of this shell and have thoroughly enjoyed putting it to good
      use. During this testing phase I haven't encountered any issues with the
      jacket and it hasn't faltered in the slightest. Its durable construction
      has certainly held up to the elements and provided a wearable shelter
      from the elements.
      April is a curious time of year in Colorado and you never know what the
      weather may bring. During the month of April I encountered several
      mornings with blowing snow during training runs. These runs were
      approximately an hour in duration. One of the things about The Odin that
      really stood out during these runs was the overall fit during cardio
      activity. I've had several shells that end up feeling bulky, which
      always feels cumbersome during high cardio activities. The Odin has an
      athletic fit that makes helps it to move with the body during activity.
      Once I put this jacket on, it felt as if it moves with me and didn't
      constrain my movement. I also found the horizontal ventilation zippers
      very useful as I progressed through these runs. After a few minutes bio
      moisture would begin to build up around the torso. Opening the vents
      allowed almost all of moisture to escape. After a particularly taxing
      session of high intensity I did find that my forearms were slightly wet
      from sweat as there was no way for the moisture that builds up on the
      arms to escape. This wasn't a major issue, but it was noticeable.
      During my ascent of Humboldt Peak in the Sangre De Cristo mountain range
      of southern Colorado I had a great opportunity to test the wind stopping
      feature of The Odin. From the time I ascended above tree line to about
      13000 FT (3962 M) I was hammered with very heavy winds. At times I would
      estimate the winds to be around 50 MPH (80.47 KPH). I cinched down the
      draw strings on the waist and hood and I was amazed at the protection
      that it provided. It made on otherwise brutal climb very enjoyable.
      During my initial report I highlighted a discrepancy with seemingly
      conflicting documentation on the specifications noted on about this
      product. It was unclear which material The Odin was made of. Some
      documentation states that this is the HellyTech Professional, which is
      supposed to be a 3 ply material, but the specifications state that it's
      a 2.5 ply. I contacted Helly Hansen via their contact form and inquired
      about the discrepancy. It took them 14 days to reply via email and they
      stated that "The Professional jackets are 3ply, but not always. It can
      also depend on the waterproof/breathability. The Odin FastPack Jacket is
      13000/33000".

      Field Image: Humboldt PeakSummary:
      Helly Hansen has made an excellent piece of equipment in The Odin
      FastPack Jacket. Its athletic fit and ability to hold off the elements
      make it an enjoyable to wear. Stylish and durable, this jacket really
      delivers when stacked against the elements.
      Pros:
      Atheletic fit and feelSuperb protection from the elementsLightweight and
      CompactableDurableCons:
      Slight moisture buildup around the forearms during high intensity cardio
      workouts.A special thanks to backpackgeartest.org and Helly Hansen for
      conducting this test series. Come back in September for my followup Long
      Term Report