IR - Carhartt Mens Force Henley Tee Shirt - Coy Boy

  • Coy Boy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2013
      Hello Kerri Anne Larkin and all,wanted to get this in this weekend and it is still the weekend on the west coast...so here it is. All edits and or comments appreciated.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20Carhartt%20Force%20T%20Coy%20Boy/

      Carhartt Mens Force Henley Tee Shirt
      Test series by Coy Starnes
      Initial Report: June 30, 2013

      Carhartt Force Henley Tee Shirt
      Author sporting the Carhartt Force T

      Tester: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 51
      Weight: 245 lb (111 kg)
      Height: 6 ft (1.8 m)
      Email: starnescr@...
      Location: Grant, Alabama

      Tester Biography
      I live in Northeast Alabama. I enjoy biking, hunting, fishing, canoeing/kayaking and most other outdoor activities, but backpacking is my favorite pastime. I enjoy hiking with friends and family or solo. I hike throughout the year and actually hike less in the hot humid months of summer. My style is slow and steady and my gear is light. However, I will sacrifice weight for comfort and durability. A typical 3-season load for me is around 20 lb (9 kg) not counting food or water.

      Initial Report: June 30, 2013

      Product Information
      Test Item Carhartt Mens Force Henley Tee Shirt
      Manufacturer Carhartt
      Year of Manufacture 2013
      Manufacturer's Website http://www.carhartt.com
      Materials 5.75 ounce, 65% cotton/35% polyester plaited jersey knit
      Listed Weight N/A
      Measured Weight 8.7 oz (247 g) for my X-Large
      Color Moss (also available in Heather Grey, Navy and Crimson)
      Sizes available in Small, Medium, Large, X-Large & XX-Large
      MSRP US$ 28.00

      Product Description
      When I think of Carhartt I think of tough work wear, and the Carhartt Mens Force Henley Tee Shirt (hereafter referred to as the Force T) claims it is designed for a 12 hour work day and not a 2 hour workout. However, since backpacking usually involves wearing a shirt all day, and often times the same shirt day after day, it seems logical that the Force T might fill the role of rugged and dependable outdoor shirt. The 5.75 ounce, 65% cotton/35% polyester plaited jersey knit of the Force T feels a little thicker than my normal 100% cotton tee shirts but it still has the feel of cotton and is no no way heavy. It is also designed to wick moisture and resist stains, both important attributes of a shirt expected to endure the rigors of hiking and just being out in the woods.

      It almost seems like the Force T was designed with wearing a pack in mind. It is constructed with flatlock seams, a tagless neck and the seams across the shoulders are further to the front than my regular t-shirts (I checked). The care instructions are located on a tag on the lower left side but the tag is lower than my waist line. I will mostly be wearing the shirt outside my gym shorts so this will mean the only tag on the shirt should not be in contact with my skin. However, it could be removed if I wanted to. The Force T has three buttons on the front which can be left unbuttoned if more ventilation is needed. There is a pocket on the right side of the front of the shirt as well. The pocket is flat but measures approximately 4.5 inches (11.4 cm) wide and 5.5 inches (14 cm) deep. My iPhone fits in it without poking out the top which should mean it is less likely to fall out. Here is the shirt during an off-road recumbent bike ride, notice I have my phone in the chest pocket. The lenght of the shirt tail is also demonstrated.

      The care instructions for the Force T are pretty simple. They are; Machine wash cold with like colors. Use only non-chlorine bleach when needed. Tumble dry low. Do not use fabric softeners.

      Fit
      I am testing an X-Large. This is the size of all my tee shirts. I will say that the X-Large in the Force T is slightly looser fitting than my tee shirts but I suspect a large would be a little snugger than I prefer. I am what is considered long waisted but even so, the shirt tail on this shirt hangs pretty low on me. I have worn it on 3 occasions so far and my wife says it looks good on me but then again, she is probably a little biased. Overall I am pleased with the fit but would not mind the shirt fitting a little snugger.

      Trying it out
      While not a dress shirt, I first wore the Force T to church on a Wednesday night. I then wore it for just over an hour the following morning on an off-road ride on my recumbent. It was about 85 F (20 C) and the humidity was 91%. I pretty much soaked the shirt within 30 minutes of riding and it did not dry off before I took it off. I hung it on the back of a chair in the kitchen while I took a quick shower and then checked it for wetness. It had dried slightly but was still pretty wet. There were a few drops of water on the tile floor of the kitchen. This might sound like a failure right off the bat, but believe me, when the humidity is 91% clothes do not dry very well. Anyways, after my shower I washed the shirt in the kitchen sink. I used luke-warm water and a little dish detergent. I then rung the shirt out as dry as possible and hung it out on my deck. The full sun did not hit it for an hour but it was about half dry before the sun hit it and completely dry about 30 minutes later. I next wore the shirt the following morning on a longer off road ride, only this time it was a little cooler (81 F/27 C)) and the humidity was much lower (57%). I rode almost 2 hours but never did soak the shirt completely. I came home and threw it in the laundry. After my shower I washed it using the active wear setting which I use for most of my clothing that has polyester or nylon. I think this setting puts out cold water but I'm not positive. The washer dried the shirt quite a bit with a high speed spin at the end and it only took an hour for it to completely dry hung out on my deck in the sun.

      Summary Thus Far
      With so little use I really don't have much to say. It is very comfortable and seems like it will do a good job of wicking away sweat while I am out hiking and riding my bike for exercise. I'm a tee shirt kind of guy so it stands to reason I have enjoyed wearing it so far but I look forward to testing it on actuall hikes with a pack to see how it will handle that kind of activity.