FR - Mountainsmith Red Rock Daypack - Mike Mosack

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2013
      Hi Ralph,
      Here is my FR on the Mountainsmith Red Rock Daypack. I didn't add any new photos to this report, but will have some to add to the LTR.
      I appreciate your time and edits.
      Mike Mosack

      http://tinyurl.com/leyto2l

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Location #1 - Pacific Crest Trail section on Laguna Mountain, Eastern San Diego County in Southern California, USA
      Conditions: Ungroomed foot trails and forest access dirt roads. Temperatures ranging from 55 to 85 F (13 to 29 C)
      Duration: Two trips, the first was 2 days and the second was 3 days (and nights) in duration.

      Location #2 - Numerous miscellaneous day hikes ranging from 2 - 5 miles (3 - 8 km) in the area of Eastern San Diego County.
      Conditions: Maintained trails, grassy areas, some concrete sidewalks and maintained roadway shoulders. Temperatures ranging from 70 to 90 F (21 to 32 C).
      Duration: Day hikes only.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I have found so far that this day pack is quite comfortable. I have used in numerous times as a regular day pack as well as a weekend pack as I work on my quasi ultralight style backpacking. I'm getting there in my own way and in my own time <grin>. I have also used this pack as a daily pack taken with me on the job.

      I like the roominess of the pack as well as the padding on the shoulder straps and lumbar/back pad. One of the little quirks I have is that I often carry my pack on one shoulder leaving the other shoulder strap to hang freely. The shoulder straps on this pack are constructed of a material that is a little slippery so my strap refuses to stay on my shoulder without sliding off. This same feature, however, allows the pack to settle comfortably on my shoulders comfortably while I move without causing any rubbing or pinching; so that's always a good thing.

      There are mesh pockets on each side of the pack. These pockets are large enough to shove a 32 oz (1 l) bottle in each of them. My issue is that while wearing the pack, it is difficult for me to be able to easily reach around and remove or replace a bottle from the mesh pockets. I would like to be able to get to my water bottle while on the move without having to remove my pack.

      One of my personal quests was to try to identify a use for the "daisy chain" that is sewn on the pack. I have seen this same feature on many of my packs and have never found a use for it. During this test phase, I have clipped a small pouch containing my ipod Nano via a gated "S"-hook clip. The ipod pouch swings back and forth as I walk, but it seems a convenient place to keep my ipod secure and is at the right height to keep it while listening to my music. I know there are many other locations I could hook my ipod pouch to the pack, but I was determined to use the daisy chain for something. In reality, I would never miss not having a feature like this on any of my packs. I personally just never use it for anything. I think if I were an ultra light purist, I might have to cut it off.

      There are numerous pockets within this pack and I find them all very convenient. Once my pack is filled, I can easily compress the pack via the straps on the sides. The pack's contents are kept secure and it makes the entire thing feel solid.

      I have a 13 inch Sony Vaio lap top computer and this is big enough for me to easily place my computer inside the pack. I take my computer with me every work day and when I travel overnight.

      SUMMARY

      This pack has worked very well for me so far during this testing phase. There are some things I like better than others, but I've never had a pack that was absolutely perfect either.

      Likes -
      The size and comfort of the pack
      The numerous pockets
      Compression straps, hydration compatible
      Quality construction

      Would prefer to see improved or changed -
      The mesh pockets are not easily reachable while wearing the pack
      Hydration system is not included
      Still no idea what the daisy chain is really for

      I would like to thank <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://mountainsmith.com" LINK TEXT = "Mountainsmith">> and <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://backpackgeartest.org" LINK TEXT = "BackpackGearTest.org">> for providing me the opportunity to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2013
        Greetings Mike,

        No testing in the Taliban Country? I am surprised. Nice to be home and safe
        dear friend.

        Look forward to some pictures in the LTR.

        Only one edit that I could find.

        I need to see a conversion to the metric here:" I have a 13 inch Sony Vaio
        lap top computer"

        Comment: I could never find a reason for a daisy chain either. If I hung an
        item off a Daisy Chain the bush/scrub would claim it very quickly as I do a
        lot of off track bush bashing. Everything goes inside the pack apart from
        water bottles held in place by carabineers should they get ripped out of the
        side pockets.

        Apart from that little edit you are good to go.

        Please delete your test copy version.

        See you in two months.

        Cheers

        Ralph

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2013
          Hi Ralph,
          Thanks for the edits I appreciate your time on this. See you again in a couple...
          I deleted the test copy as well as uploaded the fixed version.
          Side note -
          One of my local mountains here in East County of San Diego is called El Capitan. It is burning today; there is a brush fire in pretty rugged terrain. The helicopters and fire teams are working to put it out. I might see if I can get up there and check it out...once the hill is safe again. I think the news said over one hundred acres have burned so far.
          Take care
          Mike

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Ditton" <rdassets@...> wrote:

          > Greetings Mike,
          >
          > No testing in the Taliban Country? I am surprised. Nice to be home and safe
          > dear friend.
          >
          > Look forward to some pictures in the LTR.
          >
          > Only one edit that I could find.
          >
          > I need to see a conversion to the metric here:" I have a 13 inch Sony Vaio
          > lap top computer"
          >

          > Comment: I could never find a reason for a daisy chain either. If I hung an
          > item off a Daisy Chain the bush/scrub would claim it very quickly as I do a
          > lot of off track bush bashing. Everything goes inside the pack apart from
          > water bottles held in place by carabineers should they get ripped out of the
          > side pockets.
          >
          > Apart from that little edit you are good to go.
          >
          > Please delete your test copy version.
          >
          > See you in two months.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Ralph

        • Michael
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 26, 2013
            Hello!
            Here is my FR on the Mountainsmith Red Rock 25L pack. Thanks in advance for your time and edits.
            Mike Mosack

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20Mountainsmith%20Red%20Rock%20Daypack%20-%20Mike%20Mosack/

            FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

            Location #1 - Pacific Crest Trail section on Laguna Mountain, Eastern San Diego County in Southern California, USA
            Conditions: Ungroomed foot trails and forest access dirt roads. Temperatures ranging from 55 to 85 F (13 to 29 C)
            Duration: Two trips, the first was 2 days and the second was 3 days (and nights) in duration.

            Location #2 - Numerous miscellaneous day hikes ranging from 2 - 5 miles (3 - 8 km) in the area of Eastern San Diego County.
            Conditions: Maintained trails, grassy areas, some concrete sidewalks and maintained roadway shoulders. Temperatures ranging from 70 to 90 F (21 to 32 C).
            Duration: Day hikes only.

            Location #3 - El Capitan Mountain, Eastern San Diego County in Southern California.
            Conditions: Ungroomed foot trails and rocky outcroppings. Temperatures ranging from 75 to 90 F (24 to 32 C).
            Duration: Two day-hikes lasting approximately 4-6 hours respectively.

            Location #4 - Conejos Creek Trail, Lakeside, California.
            Conditions: Rocky and sandy worn foot trail in and around scrub desert brush; clear and dry with temperature approximately 80 F (27 C)
            Elevation: Approximately 750 - 1300 ft (230 - 400 m)
            Duration: Day hike - five hours, including a lunch break

[...]

            There are mesh pockets on each side of the pack. These pockets are large enough to shove a 32 oz (1 l) bottle in each of them. My issue is that while wearing the pack, it is difficult for me to be able to easily reach around and remove or replace a bottle from the mesh pockets. I would like to be able to get to my water bottle while on the move without having to take off my pack.
            <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Daisy chain for Ipod">>
[...]

            I have a 13 inch (33 cm) Sony Vaio lap top computer and this is big enough for me to easily place my computer inside the pack. I take my computer with me every work day and when I travel overnight.

            During my Long Term Report test phase I hope to have a photo of all the items I normally carry in this pack.

            SUMMARY

            This pack has worked very well for me so far during this testing phase. There are some things I like better than others, but I've never had a pack that was absolutely perfect either.

            Likes -
            The size and comfort of the pack
            The numerous pockets
            Compression straps, hydration compatible
            Quality construction

            Would prefer to see improved or changed -
            The mesh pockets are not easily reachable while wearing the pack
            Hydration system is not included
            Still no idea what the daisy chain is really for

            Please come back in about two months for my Long Term Report.