IR Optic Nerve Dedisse Sunglasses-Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2013
      http://tinyurl.com/muu5j9t

      OPTIC NERVE DEDISSE SUNGLASSES
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      IR
      June 30, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for six years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with two or more 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg) depending on the need for a bear canister. I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Optic Nerve
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://opticnerve.com/" LINK TEXT = "http://opticnerve.com/">>
      MSRP: US $49.00
      Listed Weight: none
      Measured Weight: .8 oz (22 g)
      Colors Available: Shiny black, Shiny white
      Optimum Uses: Casual
      Optimum Face Shape: Average

      The Dedisse sunglasses feature full-wrap curved lenses with a channel break design that makes changing lenses easy. The sunglasses come with two sets of lenses: smoke with flash mirror for bright sun and high-def copper for variable light conditions. The smoke grey tint lenses allow 15% light transmission and the copper tint allows 27% light transmission. The Tactilite rubber bridge pads keep the sunglasses where they belong. The 100% UV protection polarized lenses have an invisible horizontal filter to eliminate reflected light. The lenses have vents on the outer corner of the lenses to circulate air between the eyes and the back of the lenses to help reduce fogging. The lenses have an antireflective coating to reduce light from reflecting back into the eyes.

      The sunglass frames are constructed from TR90 Grilamid Nylon Frame Resin that is designed to be durable and resilient with a smooth hand made finish that incorporates a lab tested memory feature to keep the frame from stretching.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "courtesy Optic Nerve website">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "contents of package">>

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The sunglasses arrived packed inside a hard neoprene case. Inside the case, the sunglasses were packed in a soft cover with pockets containing the interchangeable copper lenses. The pockets close with small hook and loop closures.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "soft cover with lenses in pockets">>

      I did not find instructions in the package or on the website regarding the procedure to change the lenses. I called the manufacturer to obtain the instructions. They sent me a UTube video with the information. After watching the video, I was able to change the lenses with a little difficulty. The frames are flexible and pull apart to release the lenses and then snap back into place once the lenses are replaced. I had a little trouble initially, but finally figured out I was trying to replace the lenses incorrectly. The lenses have a rounded side and a side with an angle that creates the vent space close to the side pieces. The side pieces are curved to wrap around my head. The side pieces taper from the front down to a smaller diameter and then widen slightly to fit behind my ears.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "interchangeable lenses">>

      TRYING IT OUT

      I tried the sunglasses on and they fit my face close. The bottom portion of the frame rests on my cheeks. I will pay special attention to the venting, fogging and perspiration aspects due to the close fit.

      I like the clarity the smoke grey lenses provide. They do not appear to darken my view as I have found with other sunglasses.

      The frames are flexible and the wide lens design provides a good peripheral view. I am not able to see the frames while wearing the sunglasses.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "lens vent">>

      The warranty according to the website states: "All our products are covered by warranty, for the original purchaser, against defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the product."

      SUMMARY

      These appear to be a well made, durable and versatile pair of sport sunglasses. I am looking forward to using both sets of lenses depending on the conditions. I will get them out on the trail shortly.

      Thank you to Optic Nerve and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test these multi-featured, sport minded sunglasses. Please check back in four months for my Long Term Report.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • Ray
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2013
        Hi Frances,

        Good job on this IR, I just have a couple edits for you.

        See you in four months,

        Ray

        ***The sunglass frames are constructed from TR90 Grilamid Nylon Frame Resin that is designed to be durable and resilient with a smooth hand made finish

        EDIT: handmade

        *** The pockets close with small hook and loop closures.

        EDIT: hook-and-loop

        ***They sent me a UTube video with the information.

        EDIT: YouTube

        Comment: you may want to share this with your other testers