IR - NEMO Rhythm Sleeping Bag - Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30 6:26 PM
      Hello Monitor to be,

      Thank you for editing efforts.  Please find the link to and text of my report below.

      Many thanks,
      Mike

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20NEMO%20Rhythm%20Bag%20-%20Mike%20Pearl/

      NEMO EQUIPMENT RHYTHM SPOON 40 PRIMALOFT
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE PEARL
      IR
      June 30, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Pearl
      EMAIL: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 39
      LOCATION: Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 155 lb (70.30 kg)

      I have a great appreciation for the outdoors and get out at every opportunity.  I am a three-season backpacker and year round hiker.  Currently, my trips are two to three days long as well as an annual week-long trip.  I utilize the abundant trail shelters in my locale and pack a backup tarp-tent.  I like to cover big distances while still taking in the views.  I have lightweight leanings but function and reliability are the priority.  I mostly travel woodland mountain terrain but enjoy hiking beautiful trails anywhere.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: NEMO Equipment, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: Summer 2012

      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.nemoequipment.com/" LINK TEXT = "http://www.nemoequipment.com/">>

      MSRP: US$229.95

      Listed Weight: 2 lb, 5 oz (1 kg)
      Measured Weight: 2 lb, 5 oz (1 kg)
      Included Stuff Sack Weight: 1.9 oz (54 g)

      Temperature Rating: 40 F (4 C)
      Fill Type: PrimaLoft Synergy
      Fill Weight: 18 oz (522 g)

      Height Accommodated: up to 72 in (183 cm)
      Shoulder Girth: 64 in (162 cm)
      Hip Girth: 60 in (152 cm)
      Knee Girth: 68 in (172 cm)

      Packed Size: 14.5 x 9 in (37 x 23 cm)
      Compressed Volume: 6.5 L (1.72 US Gallons)

      Shell Fabric: 40D Nylon Ripstop with DWR
      Footbox Fabric: 15D OSMO DT W/B + DWR
      Lining Fabric: 30D Nylon Taffeta

      Zipper Location: Left
      Listed Color: Aluminum/Riptide
      To My Eye: Multi-Gray/Blue

      The Rhythm bag is also available in a Long that accommodates up to 6 ft, 6 in (198 cm).  This also adds 2 in (5 cm) to the shoulder and hip girth.  Along with increases in weight of 4 oz (113 g) and 2 L (0.5 US Gallon) compressed volume.

      Other Features;
      * Adjustable Contoured Hood - drawstring control of shape and size of open
      * Pillow Pocket - sleeve opening in the hood  holds extra clothes to create a pillow
      * Tuckable Blanket Fold - insulated flap can be tuck in or folded out of bag to adjust warmth
      * Waterproof, Breathable Footbox - different fabric than body of the bag protects against tent wall condensation
      * Zippered Watch Pocket - located in the hood for storing small items
      * Curved Vertical Baffles - mimics the shape of the body
      * Offset Quilting - even insulation distribution to eliminates drafts and cold spots
      * Two Way Zipper -  allows venting of one area without opening the entire bag
      * Spoon Shape - provides room for movement of elbows and knees during sleep, allows for sitting cross legged inside the bag

      Further Explanation of Materials;

      PrimaLoft SYNERGY is a multi-denier continuous filament, made with different size fibers.  Larger ones trap heat and provide warmth.  While thinner ones provide softness, loft and compactibility.  Information found on the NEMO company website says the advantage of a continuos filament is that it will not clump, shift or compact over time.  The PrimaLoft promise is also stated, "warmth when wet".  This is achieved utilizing a proprietary permanent repellent finish that will last the lifetime of the bag.

      OSMO DT W/B shell fabric is a 15 denier high tenacity nylon fabric.  A high level of tear strength and durability are achieved using double ripstop threads in the warp and weft.  Warp is the lengthwise threads and weft the transverse threads in a fabric.  The fabric is treated with a waterproof and breathable coating on the backside of the fabric and a DWR on the face.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">>

      The exciting arrival of the Rhythm bag turned to disappointment when I pulled the stuff sack out of the cardboard shipping box.  I received the wrong size.  I contacted NEMO Customer Service via email and quickly received a Return Authorization Number and shipping instructions.

      In about a week I received a replacement bag inside a stuff sack.  Also included was cotton storage <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4">>sack measuring 35 x 22 in (89 x 56 cm). I checked the tag on the stuff sack, size regular, yeah!  So this time I pull the Rhythm from the stuff sack.  The exterior feels nice and the bag quickly lofts up.  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5">>I pull the zipper open revealing the NEMO logo, bag model name, insulation type, temperature rating and bag size.  It says Long!  After mild distress I decide to complete my check of the bag.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6">>  <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 7">>
      The above information is sewn to a thicker fabric than the lining of the bag.  This thicker fabric runs the full length of the zipper and prevents the zipper from snagging.  The same fabric also forms a little flap at the top of the zipper, forming a "garage" for the zipper pull.  Near the top of the zipper on the front of the bag is a small 6 in (15 cm) long and 7 in (18 cm) deep pocket.

      Looking inside the bag again I notice the Tuckable Blanket Fold and the Pillow Pocket.  I grab my Equinox Armadillo Pillow to see if it will fit.  It's a perfect match and nicely holds the pillow in place.  The Blanket Fold looks like a big blue tongue.  I know its purpose but not sure how it will work.  At the foot of the bag there are two loops of fabric for hanging the Rhythm and three labels.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The three labels provide information about the bag.  One has the following care instructions, hand wash or machine wash warm, gentle cycle front load only.  Use mild non-detergent soap.  Do not bleach, rinse thoroughly, do not wring, air dry or tumble dry low in heavy-duty dry.  Do not iron.  Do not dry clean.

      Another is devoted to the insulation, Primaloft Synergy.  This is basically the same information I mentioned before.

      The last one I read list the materials the bag consist of, country of origin, name and address of company it's sold by and finished size of the item, 78 x 29.25 in (198 x 75 cm).  The last piece of information really surprised me and caused me to more carefully measure the bag.  Sure enough the bag is a size regular!

      TRYING IT OUT

      Once convinced I will not be returning the bag I jump inside.  The Rhythm is instantly comfy and I feel it warming quickly.  The hood cinches comfortable around my face with a drawcord easily accessible on the left hand side.  The Blanket Fold adds the feeling of covering up in bed.  Folding the Blanket out I can feel heat rush out.  The extra width in the leg area is noticeably.  I can comfortably bend my knees while laying on my back or side.  But on an 80 F (27 C) day I cannot stay in the Rhythm too long.

      SUMMARY

      Other than the confusion over the labeled size the Rhythm bag is right on beat.  The Rhythm is made of quality materials and solidly constructed.  Little things like the non-snagging strip of fabric along the zipper suggest thoughtful design.  Bigger things like the spoon shape suggest innovation.  At first glance the shape looked bulky almost funny, once inside the bag I feel the benefit.  I feel cocooned in most bags which I don't always mind.  The Rhythm gives me the feeling not of being inside a bag but rather underneath a blanket.  I am excited again about the Rhythm bag and looking forward to some outdoor spooning.

      This concludes my Initial Report.  Thank you to NEMO Equipment Inc. and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Rhythm 40 PrimaLoft.  The Rhythm and I will get some snuggly time over the next two months.  Please check back then for the Field Report.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • asklarry99
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2013
        Hi Mike-

        Sorry about the long delay. Things got crazy and work, and well,….you know.

        Anyway, here your notes for the NEMO test.

        Please fix and upload when read.

        -larry

        Comment:
        Shoulder Girth: 64 in (162 cm)
        Hip Girth: 60 in (152 cm)
        Knee Girth: 68 in (172 cm)
        Packed Size: 14.5 x 9 in (37 x 23 cm)
        Compressed Volume: 6.5 L (1.72 US Gallons)
        >>>Are these your measurements, or from the manufacturer? If the latter, please add your own measurements.

        EDIT: * Adjustable Contoured Hood - drawstring control of shape and size of open

        EDIT: * Tuckable Blanket Fold - insulated flap can be tuck in or folded out of bag to adjust warmth
        >>>tucked

        EDIT: * Offset Quilting - even insulation distribution to eliminates drafts and cold spots
        >>>Either "to eliminate" or "eliminates"

        EDIT: Larger ones trap heat and provide warmth. While thinner ones provide softness, loft and compactibility.
        >>>I think this should be one sentence
        >>>Also, I don't think `compactibility' is a word. Maybe `compressibility'?

        EDIT: the advantage of a continuos filament
        >>>continuous

        Edit: One has the following care instructions, hand wash or machine wash …
        >>>Change the comma after `instructions' to a colon

        EDIT: The last one I read list the materials the bag consist of, country of origin, name and address of company it's sold by and finished size of the item, 78 x 29.25 in (198 x 75 cm).
        >>>"listed"
        >>>My English teacher would hate the fact that you are ending clauses with prepositions, but you can leave if you like or re-word ("The last one I read listed the bag's materials, country of origin, name and address of the company, and finished size…")

        Edit: The last piece of information really surprised me and caused me to more carefully measure the bag. Sure enough the bag is a size regular!
        >>>Since I hate to split infinitives, I suggest "to measure more carefully"
      • Mike Pearl
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 19, 2013
          Thanks Larry!  Hope work mellows out for ya' so you can get some trail time.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 25, 2013
            Hi Mike-

            Two quick additional edits picked up by over review oversight committee:

            ***The hood cinches comfortable around my face with a drawcord easily accessible on the left hand side.
            EDIT: comfortably (or The hood is comfortable, cinched around my face

            ***The extra width in the leg area is noticeably.
            EDIT: noticeable

            Can you please fix these up and then re-upload?

            Thanks!

            -larry
          • Mike Pearl
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 25, 2013