FR - Mountainsmith Red Rock 25 Backpack - Bob Sanders

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2013
      Hi Ralph,

      My apologizes for being late. Too many projects, not enough hours in the day. Though I still manage to squeeze in some time for hiking.

      HTML in the test folder...http://tinyurl.com/lnj6cal

      Thanks for all your help with this test.

      All the best,
      Bob

      FIELD REPORT

      June 30, 2013

      Over the past 2 months I have taken this pack with me every day to work and I have carried it on 8 day hikes through the glorious foot hills and mountains of central Colorado.

      Weather has been pretty typical for late spring/early summer with sunny days and cloudy afternoons (no rain so far). During my hikes the temperatures have been between the low 60's F (16 C) to the low 90's F (32C). Elevations have been between 5000 ft (1524 m) and 10000 ft (3050 m).

      So far the Red Rock 25 has carried everything I normally take with me on a day hike with room to spare. The length of the hike determines how much extra water and food I might bring along. My usual day hike gear consists of food, water, rain gear, my essentials (knife, fire starter, whistle, signal mirror, first aid kit, water purification, toilet paper, hat, sunglasses and camera). Sometimes I will bring an extra pair of socks for longer hikes and a light fleece jacket if I expect cooler temperatures.

      The side mesh pockets have worked out really well when I need to bring more than one water bottle. The side compression strap has done a great job of holding the bottle in the pocket securely. Taller bottles seem to work best. My style of hiking (hike for and hour or so and take a 10 to 15 minute break) has not necessitated the use of a hydration bottle. Not sure I even own one any longer. Might be time to clean out the gear closet and rediscover what I do still possess. At every break I try to find some shade, sit down, take my shoes off and drink some water and maybe even have a snack. I don't see the need to drink while I'm walking. If I find a hydration bladder I will give it a test for the long term report.

      Overall the pack rides on my back really well and despite the hotter temperatures the ventilation has been adequate. Since I'm not carrying much weight at all most of the time I'm not even aware that it is even there. I think that is a sign of a great pack.

      The pack has held up well and there are no holes, worn spots of loose seams to be found. The bottom might be getting a little dirty but that is to be expected.

      Pros:
      • Holds everything I need for an extended day hike
      • Room to spare If I needed to carry extra clothes, food or gear
      • Comfortable
      • Interior pocket is large enough for my laptop
      Cons:
      None so far
      Check back in two months for my Field Report

      I would like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and Mountainsmith for the opportunity to test this pack.
    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2013
        Greetings Bob,
        For some reason your link to the test folder did not allow me to click on
        it. I had to highlight it and paste it in a new window to open.
        The next issue was that when I clicked on the "Field Report" heading it did
        not jump to that heading. It did zilch.
        Kindly have a look at your links.
        Having a bo peep at the report I can find no EDITS. However, a comment.
        There is always at least one. <g>
        Can you insert into your report what is a typical weight that you carry as I
        am intrigued by your comment that you have a blow under a tree and take your
        "Daisy Roots" (Boots) off for a time before resuming your hike.
        Either your feet get extremely hot whilst walking or that you are very
        protective of your feet and examine them for hot spots.
        You may wish to add a comment.
        Make sure that you delete your Test Copy version when you upload your Field
        Report.
        Look forward to some photos of the pack And you humping it in the LTR.
        See you in two months.
        Cheers

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2013
          Hi Ralph,

          Thanks for the review.

          My plan is for the LT report is to actually shoot a photo of the contents of my "normal" day hike gear next to the pack so folks can see what I carry and the volume of the gear. I will also weigh it and put that in the report.

          As far as sitting down and taking my shoes off, I started doing that when I was hiking the southern sections of the PCT where it was really hot. It really was a foot maintenance issue. Now I just do it because it feel good.

          All the best,

          Bob