EDIT IR - Adidas Terrex Fast X GTX Shoes - Andrei Girenkov

  • Jennifer Pope
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2013
      Andrei,

      Hey neighbor, I'm right up the road from you at the end of the New Haven
      Metro North line. Anyway, great report! Here are my edits in the EDIT,
      edit, comment style.

      Jen P.

      On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM, agirenkov <agirenkov@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > HTML file here: http://tinyurl.com/kvxrqh7
      >
      > Text:
      >
      > ADIDAS TERREX FAST X LOW GTX SHOES

      EDIT: you are the only tester that got the title right, but apparently the
      rep doesn't want the full title, remove the "low" and you're good.

      > TEST SERIES BY ANDREI GIRENKOV
      > IR
      > June 15, 2013
      >
      > TESTER INFORMATION
      >
      > NAME: Andrei Girenkov
      > EMAIL: agirenkov[AT]yahoo[DOT]com
      > AGE: 31
      > LOCATION: New York, New York, USA
      > GENDER: M
      > HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      > WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      comment: you probably don't need those extra zeros, but that's up to you.

      > I have been backpacking for 6 years, mostly three-season weekend trips in
      > the Adirondacks, and other parks in the Northeastern US. Additionally, I
      > try to take at least one 5-7 day trip each summer to other destinations in
      > Canada, Western United States and Central America. I use lightweight gear
      > on a budget. My multi-day pack weight is around 20-25 lb (9-11kg).

      EDIT: missing a space here before kg.

      > I enjoy sleeping comfortably and cooking a hot meal at night

      EDIT: add a period here at the end.

      > INITIAL REPORT
      >
      > PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS
      >
      > Manufacturer: Adidas AG

      EDIT: adidas wants their name with a lowercase 'a'

      > Year of Manufacture: 2013
      > Manufacturer's Website: <<https://www.adidas.com>>

      EDIT: Your link isn't showing up in your html.

> [...]
      > ALT TEXT = "Adidas Terrex Shoes">>
      >
      > INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      >
      > Sole:
      >
      > The outsole is made of hardened black rubber that is stamped "TRAXION" and
      > "Continental." Traxion is a brand of hard rubber outsoles made by
      > Continental Rubber specifically made to provide the additional traction and
      > foot protection needed by hikers. It is covered in a rhombus shaped
      > hardened rubber pattern meant to gain traction on rocks. Inside the shoe is
      > a red orthopedic insole stamped "OrthoLite." OrthoLite bills its products
      > as breathable, supportive, and moisture wicking.
      >
      > Upper:
      >
      > The upper is made of mesh. It has several tags attached that state
      > "GORE-TEX", "terrex", and "475". Attached to the back above the heel is a
      > loop for pulling the shoe on. GORE-TEX is a brand of very thin breathable
      > waterproof membrane that is used widely to waterproof outdoors sporting
      > apparel. It is based on the principle that the gap between molecules of
      > GORE-TEX is wide enough to let air molecules through but to keep out water
      > molecules. The external surface of the lower half of the shoe is made of a
      > synthetic material similar to rubber that is stamped "adiPRENE." Adidas
      > advertises that adiPRENE absorbs shock and rebounds kinetic energy with
      > every step. A thicker and harder piece of rubber covers the toe and the
      > heel to offer additional protection there.
      >
      > Lacing:
      >
      > The lacing system is a bungee cord secured by a black plastic tension
      > clip. At the bottom of the lacing system is an elastic band labeled "lace
      > bungee" where the tension clip can be tucked out of the way. The laces are
      > fed through four loops on each side, followed by an eyelet with a metal
      > ring. When the shoes first arrived, the tension clip was tucked into the
      > lace bungee. As I discovered, it's difficult to properly tighten the laces
      > while the ends are in the bungee. I believe the bungee is just there to
      > keep the loose ends tucked away, but you have to pull the ends out in order
      > to property tighten them.
      >
      > TRYING IT OUT
      >
      > The shoes fit very well. My US Men's Size 10 fit like a glove - perfectly
      > true to size. The design is a minimalist black - conservative enough to
      > wear to the office if you're so inclined. I've worn these shoes to work
      > this week in order to break them in. I've found them very comfortable,
      > supportive, and breathable even after a full 8 hours in them. I am also a
      > big fan of this lacing system - just pull and go!
      >
      > TESTING STRATEGY
      >
      > My testing strategy will focus on how these shoes deal with the additional
      > challenges posed by hiking terrains. Specifically I will see whether the
      > GORE-TEX insulated mesh material is able to keep out water, whether the
      > outsole provides adequate grip and protection on rocky trails, and whether
      > the arch support is there for your legs when weighed down with a pack.

      EDIT: "your" is sort of a cardinal sin around here, but one often gets by
      me too. I would re-word this to say. "The arch support is there when my
      legs are weighed down with a pack"

      > As this is a low cut hiking shoe, the ankle support is not there for a
      > heavy pack. However I am interested to find out whether this shoe can serve
      > my weekend backpacking trips. I normally carry a 20-22 lb (9-10 kg) pack
      > for a weekend trip, and I am hoping that this shoe will provide sufficient
      > support for my lightweight backpacking style.
      >
      > I am very excited to try out this wonderful piece of gear and I'd like to
      > thank Adidas

      EDIT make this adidas lowercase as well.

      > and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity.
      >
      > SUMMARY
      >
      > Pros so far:
      > - Minimalist tasteful stylilng

      EDIT styling