IR - Optic Nerve Deddise Sunglasses - Brian Hartman

  • Brian Hartman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2013
      Hi Andrea,
      Below is my Initial Report for the Optic Nerve Deddise sunglasses. The link to my HTML is: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Optic%20Nerve%20Sunglasses%20-%20Brian%20Hartman/

      http://snurl.com/27cztjw

      Thanks,
      Brian

      INITIAL REPORT

      SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Optic Nerve
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://nerveusa.com/">>
      MSRP: US $49.00
      Listed Weight: NA
      Measured Weight: 1 oz (28 g)

      Other details:
      Frame options: Shiny Black, Shiny White
      Interchangeable lenses: Smoke grey and high-definition copper
      Frame Material: Nylon
      Bridge Rests: Tactilite rubber
      Lens: Plastic
      UV Protection: 100% UV protection
      Meets ANSI Z80.3 standards for optical clarity and impact resistance
      Limited Lifetime Warranty

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Dedisse's are full wrap around sunglasses that, according to the manufacturer, "deliver enhanced ergonomic and peripheral coverage."  They are one of 53 styles offered by Optic Nerve out of their headquarters in Wheat Ridge, Colorado.  Options include nylon or metal frames, polarized or unpolarized lenses and seven different lens tints.  The Dedisse sunglasses come with two sets of lenses, grey and copper, and have a unique frame design that will hopefully make changing them an easy task.

      Regarding the two sets of lenses that come with these sunglasses, the smoke / grey tint lenses only allow 15% of visible light to penetrate the lenses, which means they should work well in very bright, sunny conditions.   According to the manufacturer, the grey lenses show colors accurately but they do not provide much definition or contrast of objects.  The copper tint lenses by contrast allow 27% light transmission and provide very good contrast and depth perception while still representing colors accurately.  My experience is that copper lenses work very well for things like driving, golfing and snow skiing.   All of the lenses offered by Optic Nerve provide 100% UV protection as defined by US Government FDA standards.

      The Dedisse sunglasses have Tactilite™ bridge pads which are supposed to keep the frames in place while playing sports or jogging.  They also have a hidden hinge design with a single screw that holds them in place.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Dedisse sunglasses arrived in a semi rigid carrying case with the manufacturer's name and logo on top.  The case is black with a clam shell design and zipper closure, and it appears to be sturdy enough to protect the sunglasses while carrying them in my backpack.  Inside the case was a plastic zip-lock bag with writing on both sides.  On one side of the bag was printed a brief company introduction and value statement and on the other side was warranty information and a 100% UV Protection guarantee.  The sunglasses were concealed in a black cloth pouch located inside the plastic bag.  The pouch has a drawstring on the top and a small pocket on the front where the second set of lenses were stored.

      Upon removing the Dedisse sunglasses from their pouch, my initial impression of them was very positive.  They are lightweight, stylish and appear to be sturdy with frames that almost completely envelope the lenses.  The frames I chose were black and have tiny rubber bridge pad inserts that should help keep them from sliding around on my face.  Optic Nerve's logo is neatly displayed on the temple areas of the sunglasses near the hinges.  A small product tag with the barcode and retail price of the sunglasses was located on one of the arms along with a small stamp indicating these sunglasses were made in China.

      Regarding fit, I was surprised at how tight these sunglasses are as my face is not at all wide.  The Dedisse's are 5" (12.7 cm) wide from temple to temple.  This is 1/8" (0.32 cm) narrower than my prescription glasses and 1/4" (0.64 cm) narrower than another pair of sunglasses I own.  There is significant pressure on my temples and above my ears when wearing the Dedisse's.  The fact that the arms curve in substantially at their tips contributes to the ultra snug fit.  Only time will tell if they are unbearable for long term use.  On the bright side, there's no way they will ever fall off my face and the close fitting wrap-around design should help block sunlight from coming in around the eyes.  Hopefully this will result in less eye strain while backpacking in sunny weather.

      After wearing the sunglasses outside for a few minutes in bright conditions, I can report that the gray lenses seem to block a fair amount of light while still allowing me to see details.  The hinges feel secure and function smoothly.  Overall the sunglasses give the impression of being well constructed and of high quality.  Notwithstanding the fact that they are brand new, I was impressed with the clarity of the grey lenses.  I am looking forward to wearing them for extended periods of time this summer in the sunny outdoors.

      Unfortunately lens changing instructions were not included with the sunglasses and nothing is posted on the manufacturer's website.  After fiddling briefly with them while trying to remove the lenses I decided I'll wait till the weekend is over and talk with customer service rather than risk damaging the frames or lenses.  I'll probably ask them about care instructions as well since no information was provided regarding proper cleaning of the lenses.  I know that some manufacturers allow the use of dishwashing liquids to remove sweat and smudges while others only recommend water.  While on this subject, I'll mention that the polarized and premium IC sunglasses offered by Optic Nerve have a hydrophobic coating on the lenses that repels water, dust, and oil, and helps prevent scratches.  The Dedisse sunglasses, however, are part of the Deuce 2 series which does not have this added feature.  For this reason as well, I want to be careful so that I
      don't accidently scratch the lenses.

      SUMMARY

      Likes:
      Sturdy frame
      Interchangeable lenses
      Lightweight
      Excellent vision and clarity

      Dislikes:
      Tight fit

      This concludes my Initial Report for the Optic Nerve Dedisse sunglasses.  I will post my Field report  in approximately four months so please check back then for further details.  I would like to thank Optic Nerve and BackpackGearTest.org for giving me the opportunity to test these sunglasses.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2013
        Hi Brian,

        I am the monitor for this one. Nice IR, I have a few edits for you. Enjoy the glasses over the next four months and I will see you then,

        Ray

        EDIT: need to put a caption or something crediting Optic Nerve for the picture

        *** Options include nylon or metal frames, polarized or unpolarized lenses

        EDIT: polarized or "non-polarized" lenses

        ***They are lightweight, stylish and appear to be sturdy with frames that almost completely envelope the lenses.

        Edit: that almost completely "surround" the lenses.
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2013
          I have one more edit for you Brian,

          The URL should be: http://opticnerve.com

          The nerveuse.com you have is a redirect. Once you go to any other page it resets to opticnerve.

          Ray
        • Brian Hartman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2013
            Thanks Ray.  Have a great 4th.