EDIT IR - adidas Outdoors Terrex Fast X GTX Shoes - John Waters

  • Jennifer Pope
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2013
      Hi John,

      I'm your new monitor. My edits are below in the standard EDIT, edit,
      comment format. Here we go!

      Jen P

      On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM, BySky Admin <exec@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Below is the text for my IR for the adidas shoes. My HTML can be seen in
      > the test folder at
      >
      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20adidas%20Terrex%
      > 20Fast%20X%20shoes%20-%20John%20Waters/
      >
      > Thanks in advance for the edits.
      >
      > John Waters
      >
      > ADIDAS OUTDOORS TERREX FAST X GTX SHOES

      edit: I think we should make this: Adidas Terrex Fast X Low GTX
      Only because there's also a 'mid' version and it took me 5 min to find
      these shoes on their site they have so many versions of shoes.

      > TEST SERIES BY JOHN R. WATERS
      >
      > adidas Outdoors Terrex Fast X GTX shoes
      >
      > Picture Courtesy of Manufacturer
      >
      > INITIAL REPORT
      >
      > INITIAL REPORT - June 28, 2013
      >
      > TESTER INFORMATION
      >
      > NAME: John R. Waters
      >
      > EMAIL: jrw at backpackgeartest dot org
      >
      > AGE: 64
      >
      > LOCATION: Canon City, CO USA
      >
      > GENDER: M
      >
      > HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      >
      > WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)
      >
      > My backpacking began in 1999. I have hiked rainforests in Hawaii, Costa
      > Rica, and Puerto Rico, glaciers in New Zealand and Iceland, 14ers in
      > Colorado and Death Valley's deserts. I hike or snowshoe 6-8 miles (10 km-13
      > km) 2-3 times weekly in the Cooper Mountain range, with other day-long
      > hikes
      > on various other southwest and central Colorado trails. I frequently hike
      > the mountains and deserts of Utah and Arizona as well. My daypack is 18 lb
      > (8 kg); overnights' weigh over 25 lb (11 kg). I'm aiming to reduce my
      > weight
      > load by 40% or more.

      > ----
      >
      > INITIAL REPORT
      >
      > PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS
      >
      > Manufacturer: adidas Outdoors
      >
      > Year of Manufacture: 2013
      >
      > Manufacturer's Website: http://www.adidas.com
      >
      > MSRP: US$165.00

      edit: Can you add a space between US and $?

      > Listed Weight: 15.5 ounces (per shoe, size 9) - 439 g
      >
      > Measured Weight: 1.06 lb (per shoe, size 10.5 US) - 480 g

      comment: For easy comparison, can your measured weight be listed in ounces
      as well? 16.06 oz.

      > Sizes Available: 6-14 US
      >
      > Size Tested: 10.5 US
      >
      > Color Available/Tested: Solid Grey/Black/Vivid Red
      >
      > Other Features: (from manufacturer's website)
      >
      > * FORMOTIONR for enhanced motion control and downhill comfort

      EDIT: take out the extra R

      > * High-abrasion mesh and synthetic upper materials for breathability and
      > durability
      >
      > * ADIPRENER+ in the forefoot maintains propulsion and efficiency

      EDIT: take out the extra R

      > * Waterproof and breathable GORE-TEXR lining

      EDIT: take out the extra R

      > * Speed lacing construction for fast and snug lacing
      >
      > * TRAXIONT outsole for the best grip and agility during fast activities

      EDIT: take out the extra T

      > * ContinentalT Rubber outsole for optimal grip in wet conditions

      EDIT: take out the extra T

      > * Imported
      >
      > INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      >
      > I am happy to be field testing the Adidas Outdoors Terrex Fast X Low GTX
      > shoes over the next 16 weeks. Adidas Outdoors is not a name I would have
      > associated with hiking and backpacking much in the past, so I am interested
      > to see how these shoes perform over rough terrain on the trails.
      >
      > These are not the lightest weight trail shoes I have ever used (1.06 lb
      > (482
      > grams) for my size 10.5 US), however, the additional small amount of weight
      > over lighter shoes makes the Terrex Fast X shoes feel substantial and
      > secure
      > on my feet.
      >
      > adidas Outdoors calls this model "low", but I have had lower shoes. The top
      > of the shoe just about touches the bottom of my ankles, so there is a small
      > amount of ankle movement, but with the boot laces cinched up tightly I can
      > only turn my ankles about 30 degrees. The distance from the floor to the
      > top
      > of the lower curve by the ankle is 4 in. (10 cm).
      >
      > The nicely cushioned tongue ends up about an inch (2.5 cm) above my ankle
      > height and wraps around to the front of each ankle, so there is plenty of
      > cushioning there.
      >
      > The lacing system is a "speed-lacing" system which apparently nobody has
      > specifically named because there are a variety of such lacing systems. This
      > one uses a slide grip that grabs both sides of the lace (which appears to
      > be
      > a black woven nylon over either wire or nylon line). I can push the lever
      > on
      > the slide and it allows the slide to move along both laces at the same time
      > evenly and allows me to get the laces quite tight. I can then release the
      > lever and the slide locks in position. I really like this! I can see 20
      > years from now the great-grandkids saying "Grandpa John, you are so old you
      > used to tie your shoes! Hahaha" ... real funny kids.
      >
      > There is a thoughtfully provided (and trademark labeled) Bungee holder at
      > the front of the laces to stick the slide under and keep it in place. Nice
      > job, adidas Outdoors.
      >
      > These shoes do feel narrow. I think anyone with wide feet should go to a
      > dealer and try them on. The narrow footbed was one of the first things I
      > noticed as soon as I put them on. The widest point from side to side is 4
      > in. (10 cm).
      >
      > The soles are Continental Rubber's TRAXION, which I have used before. I'll
      > have to see how this implementation works on wet rocks and in slippery mud
      > with the tread design adidas Outdoors is using. I will say that I cannot
      > sneak around on a hardwood or tile floor with these. They squeak. I will
      > have to get an old piece of tile out and see if they imprint or mark.
      >
      > The shoes are quite attractive. Black with touches of reflective stitching
      > at the lace joints and 3 labels for GORE-TEX.

      EDIT You need another hard return here.

      > The toe rand protector is well done and the rear heel slopes towards the
      > instep rather than ending abruptly. The rear heel also has a separate
      > cushioned section at the back, which is red. I am hoping this will help
      > performance on downhill traverses over hard rock. We will see.
      >
      > The insole is RED. It's got a big Ortolite trademark on it. It's a simple
      > sculpted insole with 3 layers in the front half of the insole. These are
      > not
      > shown on the Ortholite Web site and are probably custom made for adidas

      EDIT website

      > Outdoors for these shoes. However, these are better than some of the other
      > insoles that come standard with other shoes. Thanks, adidas Outdoors.
      >
      > The tread design is pretty aggressive with a bunch of 1/2 in (1.27 cm) wide
      > and 1/16 in. (.16 cm) high nubs and plenty of clear space all around them.
      > am hoping that, with this design, these shoes will perform very well in
      > muddy conditions.
      >
      > Of course, with 3 labels for GORE-TEX and being called the Terrex Fast X
      > Low
      > GTX, the shoes are GORE-TEX-lined. I'll need to try this out on some
      > streams
      > and waterfalls and hopefully in the rain if we actually get some during the
      > next 16 weeks. We are in one of the worst droughts Colorado has seen since
      > the Dustbowl of 1929.
      >
      > I am excited about being able to field test these. I put them on as soon as
      > I got them and I can say that no break-in period was needed. I'll be
      > wearing
      > these on all my hikes during this period.
      >
      > SUMMARY
      >
      > My sincere thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and adidas Outdoors for giving me
      > the chance to try out the Terrex Fast X GTX shoes. Please check back here
      > in
      > early September 2013 to see where my Terrex and I have been and how we've
      > gotten along.
      >
      > John R. Waters

    • BySky Admin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2013
        Jen,

        Thanks for the edits. Good catches, all! I think I've corrected all the
        mistakes but at the request of the manufacturer's rep, the title will stand
        as is. That's what she wants, what can I say. Kathy will be posting a note
        to the group regarding the proper title and use of lower case letter "a".

        The only other note is all the extra "Rs" and "Ts" are because the text
        version didn't capture the registered and trademark symbols. In the HTML
        version, these are ok, ok?

        Thanks and see you in a couple of months.

        John

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2013
          Got it on the title, no problem. Sorry about the trademarks signs, I
          thought I was looking at both versions throughout! No wonder I missed it
          on my first pass.

          Jen P.