EDIT IR Adidas Terrex shoes--Rick D

  • Jennifer Pope
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2013
      Hi Rick,

      I volunteered to be your new monitor. Haven't done this in a while, so
      let's hope I get this right. Plus I have an IR to write, so it's a good
      refresher. :)

      I think I do the standard EDIT, edit, comment. Here we go!

      Love your header! I like how you coordinated your picture borders with the
      shoe color detail.

      Jen P.

      On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM, redbike64 <redbike64@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Howdy campers and especially camper dads, below, please find a link to my
      > draft IR and the associated report text.
      >
      > Happy Sunday!
      >
      > Rick
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/laz4jvp
      >
      > Adidas Terrex Fast X GTX

      edit: I think we should make this: Adidas Terrex Fast X Low GTX
      Only because there's also a 'mid' version and it took me 5 min to find
      these shoes on their site they have so many versions of shoes.

      > Test Series by Rick Dreher<<IMAGE 1>>
      > IR
      > June 13, 2013
      >
      > TESTER INFORMATION
      >
      > NAME: Rick Dreher
      > EMAIL: redbike64(at)hotmail(dot)com
      > AGE: 59
      > LOCATION: Northern California
      > GENDER: M
      > HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
      > WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)
      > FOOT SIZE US men's 11.5
      > TORSO LENGTH 19.5 in (50 cm)
      > YEARS HIKING 41
      >
      > I enjoy going high and light and frequently take shorter "fast- packing"
      > trips. My longest trips are a week or so. I've lightened my pack load
      > because I enjoy hiking more when toting less, I can go farther and over
      > tougher terrain, and I have cranky ankles. I use trekking poles and
      > generally hike solo or tandem. I've backpacked all over the U.S. West and
      > now primarily hike California's Sierra Nevada. My favorite trips are alpine
      > and include off-trail travel and sleeping in high places. When winter
      > arrives, I head back for snowshoe outings in the white stuff.
      >

      > INITIAL REPORT
      >
      > Product Info & Specs
      >
      > Manufacturer: Adidas
      > Year of Manufacture: 2013
      > Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.adidas.com"
      > LINK TEXT = "Adidas Web site">>

      EDIT in your hyperlink text Web site can be one word

      > MSRP: US$165

      EDIT add a space here US $165 or $165 US might be even better :)

      > Listed Weight: (UK 8.5) 27.2 oz (770 g)
      > Measured Weight: (US 11.5) 33,.6 oz (1,066 g)

      EDIT superfluous comma in your oz conversion

      > Other details: Low-top trail shoes with Gore-Tex liners.
      >
      > Initial Impressions
      >
      > <h3>Description</h3>
      > The Adidas Terrex Fast R GTX (Terrex GTX) are waterproof-breathable,
      > low-top trail shoes.

      edit add low if we add it above

      > While similar to typical "trail-running" shoes, they are thoroughly
      > ruggedized, especially in areas I've found many trail shoes to be
      > vulnerable, especially the toe, fabric upper and foam midsole. They have
      > Gore-Tex liners and single-pull lacing with toggle locks, in lieu of
      > traditional laces.
      >
      > <h3>Design and Construction</h3>
      > The design is complex, with uppers of open-weave fabric, webbing, rubber
      > aromoring

      EDIT armoring

      > and faux leather reinforcement. The moderately lugged soles are cut away
      > at the instep and accommodate gaiter straps, particularly important for
      > low-top trail shoes. Tongues are gusseted against debris and shifting. The
      > heel is split at the back third and that portion seems to be cushioned
      > against heel-strike with an elastomer layer (labeled "adiPRENE"). Soles are
      > made by the tire company, Continental, using "TRAXION" rubber that Adidas
      > claims to grip well in wet conditions (hydrophilic). (So by coincidence, I
      > can bicycle, drive and walk propelled by Continental, all in one day.)
      >
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Wicking,
      > removable insoles are anti-bacterial.">>
      >
      > As noted above, lacing is single-pull with locking toggles. The laces
      > themselves are very thin and do not stretch. For the most part, the laces
      > pass through plastic sleeves anchored with webbing and hopefully, don't
      > create pressure points across the foot. The lace locks seem to resist
      > slippage and there's even an elastic keeper "lace bungee" for the pull tabs.
      >
      > Insoles are removable, not glued into place. They're labeled "Ortholite"
      > and are said to wick moisture and be treated against odor. The forefoot has
      > an extra foam layer.
      >
      > Overall construction appears neat and clean. Stitching and glue joints are
      > neat, clean and gapless. There's no rough stitching, although the lining
      > does have a couple exposed seams.
      >
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Tough soles
      > extend up over the toe.">>
      >
      > The Instructions
      >
      > No information was supplied with the shoes, either printed on the box or
      > on the feature hangtags. The Adidas Web site has Terrex GTX page listing
      > features and average weight, but no further user guidance. They're shoes,
      > not complicated gear, so I don't feel particularly ill-informed.
      >
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Heel cushioning
      > above hinged heel section.">>
      >
      > Fitting the Shoes
      >
      > Before I bother trying trail shoes in the store I give them a
      > workover--bending and flexing them to figure out whether they'll survive
      > the trail and protect my feet and ankles. These Terrex GTX, while
      > lightweight are really stout. I can barely twist them and the soles
      > resisist

      EDIT resist

      > bending as well. First test is passed easily.
      >
      > Loosening the laces and pulling out the tongue, my feet fit easily, helped
      > by the heel loop. Second test is also a success.
      >
      > After tightening the laces and wearing mid-weight socks, the fit is snug
      > but not tight. There's toe room and walking around the house, my heels
      > don't rub. Not a conclusive test but as far as fit goes, the Terrex GTX
      > seem like a good match for my feet. Critical text three is a go. Let's go
      > hiking!
      >
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "Lacing system,
      > with toggle lock and lace keeper.">>
      >
      > Summary
      >
      > The Terrex GTX are closer to light boots than lightweight trail
      > "sneakers," even if they're not much more than sneaker weight. They pass
      > all my picky initial tests with ease: they fit, they're stout yet light and
      > they're stablilized. I

      EDIT stabilized