APPLICATION- PLATYPUS SPRINTER- RALPH DITTON

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2013
      Greetings Richard,

      As this is our winter time and a Platypus is an Aussie animal, I'll toss my
      beanie into the ring for this.

      Disclaimer

      Please accept my application to test the Bushnell Solar Wrap Mini. I have
      read and understand the entire BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v0609 including
      Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed tester
      agreement is on file.

      Tester Information:
      Ralph Ditton

      Age: 61
      Height: 1. 76 m (5 ft 9 in)
      Weight: 74 kg (163 lb)
      Email: rdassettsAToptusnet dot com dot au
      City: Perth. Western Australia. Australia

      Backpacking Background
      I assist with Introductory Walks for new people wishing to join our club and
      I also lead walks for club members which are a mix of day walks and
      overnight(s) backpacks..

      I have evolved from being a heavyweight backpacker of approximately 28 kg
      (62 lb) including all my water and food to a mid- weight backpacker
      averaging 15 kg (33 lb). I am still trying to get lighter with better
      equipment. My trips range from overnighters to five days duration.
      In July, I will definitely be going on a four day, three night backpack to
      explore a region East of the Wellington Dam which will mainly be off track.
      Wild water will then start to flow as it is the start of the rainy season.
      In August I will be in Fiji, so I would like to test the Solar Wrap in a hot
      humid tropical climate.

      Field Information

      I have no set location but I range all over the Darling Scarp and the
      Coastal Plains leading day walks and mentoring new Introductory Walk Leaders
      taking never met before people out into the bush who think that they would
      like to join our bushwalking club. This gives them a look at us and we them.
      For overnight events I tend to either go further south into Wandoo/Jarrah
      country or north of Perth into Melaleuca country which is very scrubby and
      sandy.

      Elevations range from sea level to 583 metres (1912 ft).

      We are now into our fully blown winter period which has had plenty of cool
      to warm days and cold nights averaging a minimum of 3 C (37 F). I will be
      out on
      average 2 weekends a month with a mixture of day and overnight activities.

      Temperatures can range from 3 C (37 F) to 18 C (64 F).

      By the time this test is completed it will be into the start of our spring
      if the item ships immediately.

      Over the test period I plan to be out in the field for close on 14 days and
      at least 8 nights.

      Brief Test Plan
      I like the idea of a 3 litre reservoir as we have a club policy of a minimum
      of 2 litres must be carried.

      Our winter rains will be a good test on the seams, fabric and zippers of the
      pack.

      The ventilation will be assessed as I do suffer from a wet back from
      perspiration even on the coldest of days from a pack up against it.

      The access to the hydration (effortless states the blurb). I'll check that
      out.

      I love stuffing food and navigation items in the hip/waistbelt pockets. Are
      they big enough for my stuff?

      This pack will mainly be used on day hikes leading groups of walkers on club
      events.

      Link to previous test:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ralph_ditton
      Current test: Nil
      OR's completed last year -Nil. Done 14 overall.
      Brownie Points. 6.
      Outstanding applications- I have applied for the Bushnell
      NatureView Binoculars and Bushnell Solar Wrap Mini.
      Additional Roles for BGT. Director, Monitor.

      NB: Should I be selected I would require the Limoges Blue version for a
      torso fit of M/L 20"

      Best

      Ralph Ditton