Application: Tilley Mash Up hat - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2013
      Hi Andrea,

      Please consider my application to test the Tilley Endurables Mash Up hat. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org By-Laws (v. 0609) particularly Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and I agree to abide by all rules and requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file.

      Tester information:
      · Nancy Griffith
      · 47
      · Female
      · 5’6” (1.68 m)
      · 130 lb (59 kg)
      · bkpkrgirlATyahooDOT com
      · Northern California, USA

      Backpacking background:
      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails. The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania. I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long. I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and trekking poles.

      Test plan or strategy:
      I have never owned a Tilley hat and am curious about what all of the buzz is about.  With light skin and living in a very sunny place I wear a hat nearly every time I'm outside in the summer.  However, I don't really like hats with a wide brim so this hat seems just right.  It's reasonably lightweight as compared to my other hats but seems to provide better coverage.  Repeling rain is an interesting concept since I have to wear my rain jacket hood over my other hats.  I'd love to not have to wear a hood in a rainstorm.  The chin strap is key too since the Sierra's see some crazy winds especially over the passes.

      Test Conditions: (Firm Plans)
      July: 4-day trip in Emigrant Wilderness, Sierra Nevada, (California): 30 miles (48 km); 7,150 to 8,900 ft (2,179 to 2,713 m) elevation; 40 to 80 F (4 to 27 C).
      August/September: 3-week trip: John Muir Trail, Sierra Nevada: 220 miles (354 km); 4,000 to 14,496 ft (1,219 to 4,418 m) elevation; freezing to 85 F (0 to 30 C).

      Day Hiking: Sierra Nevada, 2,000 to 8,000 ft (600 – 2,400 m);50 to 85 F (10 to 30 C).

      We backpack at least once per month and day hike most other weekends and many weekdays. All plans this summer will be in training for our JMT hike in August. Monthly mileage is my goal. Summiting some peaks will be important too.

      I am a huge slacker on ORs and haven't submitted any in 2013.  YIKES.
      My reviews can be viewed at:http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ngriffith

      My current tests are:
      GSI Pack Kitchen: LTR due 8/6
      Helly Hansen Flow jacket: FR due 7/9
      La Sportiva Hyper Mid GTX boots: FR date not set
      Carhartt Force T-shirt: FR date not set

      Labor of Love: Test Director, Monitor

      I have no other applications pending.
      Thank you for considering my application.

      Nancy