APPLICATION - BUSHNELL SOLAR WRAP Mini- Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2013
      Hello Kurt,

      I'll throw my beanie into the ring as I am currently gearless as my last
      piece of gear that I was recently selected for (a rechargeable headlamp) was
      cancelled.

      Disclaimer

      Please accept my application to test the Bushnell Solar Wrap Mini. I have
      read and understand the entire BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v0609 including
      Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed tester
      agreement is on file.

      Tester Information:
      Ralph Ditton

      Age: 61
      Height: 1. 76 m (5 ft 9 in)
      Weight: 74 kg (163 lb)
      Email: rdassettsAToptusnet dot com dot au
      City: Perth. Western Australia. Australia

      Backpacking Background
      I assist with Introductory Walks for new people wishing to join our club and
      I also lead walks for club members which are a mix of day walks and
      overnight(s) backpacks..

      I have evolved from being a heavyweight backpacker of approximately 28 kg
      (62 lb) including all my water and food to a mid- weight backpacker
      averaging 15 kg (33 lb). I am still trying to get lighter with better
      equipment. My trips range from overnighters to five days duration.
      In July, I will definitely be going on a four day, three night backpack to
      explore a region East of the Wellington Dam which will mainly be off track.
      Wild water will then start to flow as it is the start of the rainy season.
      In August I will be in Fiji, so I would like to test the Solar Wrap in a hot
      humid tropical climate.

      Field Information

      I have no set location but I range all over the Darling Scarp and the
      Coastal Plains leading day walks and mentoring new Introductory Walk Leaders
      taking never met before people out into the bush who think that they would
      like to join our bushwalking club. This gives them a look at us and we them.
      For overnight events I tend to either go further south into Wandoo/Jarrah
      country or north of Perth into Melaleuca country which is very scrubby and
      sandy.

      Elevations range from sea level to 583 metres (1912 ft).

      We are now into our fully blown winter period which has had plenty of cool
      to warm
      days and cold nights averaging a minimum of 3 C (37 F) and I will be out on
      average 2 weekends a month with
      a mixture of day and overnight activities.

      Temperatures can range from 3 C (37 F) to 18 C (64 F).

      By the time this test is completed it will be into the start of our spring
      if the item ships immediately.

      Over the test period I plan to be out in the field for close on 14
      days and at least 8 nights.

      Brief Test Plan

      I am limited to just my IPhone that need to be charged through a USB Outlet.
      I do not carry other electronic devices into the bush. I am a compass and
      map man. I see this device as being of great benefit to keep my mobile phone
      charged as there has been the odd occasions when I have had to make calls
      for assistance when a "newbie" walker has had some difficulty. We have to
      let the next of kin or other significant person know what has happened and
      their condition.

      For multiday walks this device will be invaluable to keep the phone charged.
      My Iphone has a lousy battery storage. It goes flat in around 30 hours if
      not being used (standby)and quicker if being used.

      My spouse has a need to contact me daily to see if things are ok as I have
      Ischaemic heart disease. Worried about my welfare. <g>

      Some of my group in the past have had other smart devices so I am willing to
      help charge theirs on future multiday events as the same people always come
      on my annual Wellington Dam excursion. So I'll have access to theirs for
      testing re the power up of their devices.

      Mostly I'll be charging up in our winter where there is plenty of sunshine
      but only gets up to around 18 C (64 F). In Fiji it will be much hotter and
      humid. That will be a wonderful opportunity to charge up devices as I will
      be taking more stuff as this is a holiday with family doing day walks around
      Sigatoga.

      Link to previous test:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ralph_ditton
      Current test: Nil
      OR's completed last year -Nil. Done 14 overall.
      Brownie Points. 6.
      Outstanding applications- Nil. I will be applying for the Bushnell
      NatureView Binoculars and 25L Backpack. Applications yet to be submitted.

      Additional Roles for BGT. Director, Monitor.

      Best

      Ralph Ditton