APPLICATION- NatureView Binoculars- Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2013

      Please accept my application to test the Bushnell NatureView Binoculars. I
      have read and understand the entire BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v0609
      including Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed
      tester agreement is on file.

      Tester Information:
      Ralph Ditton

      Age: 61
      Height: 1. 76 m (5 ft 9 in)
      Weight: 74 kg (163 lb)
      Email: rdassettsAToptusnet dot com dot au
      City: Perth. Western Australia. Australia

      Backpacking Background
      I assist with Introductory Walks for new people wishing to join our club and
      I also lead walks for club members which are a mix of day walks and
      overnight(s) backpacks..

      I have evolved from being a heavyweight backpacker of approximately 28 kg
      (62 lb) including all my water and food to a mid- weight backpacker
      averaging 15 kg (33 lb). I am still trying to get lighter with better
      equipment. My trips range from overnighters to five days duration.
      In July, I will definitely be going on a four day, three night backpack to
      explore a region East of the Wellington Dam which will mainly be off track.
      Wild water will then start to flow as it is the start of the rainy season.
      In August I will be in Fiji, so I would like to test the binoculars in a hot
      tropical climate.

      Field Information

      I have no set location but I range all over the Darling Scarp and the
      Coastal Plains leading day walks and assisting walk leaders with new people
      who want to join our
      bushwalking club.
      For overnight events I tend to either go further south into Wandoo/Jarrah
      country or north of Perth into Melaleuca country which is very sandy.

      Elevations range from sea level to 583 metres (1912 ft).

      We are now into our fully blown winter period which has had plenty of cool
      to warm
      days and cold nights averaging a minimum of 3 C (37 F) and I will be out on
      average 2 weekends a month with
      a mixture of day and overnight activities.

      Temperatures can range from 3 C (37 F) to 18 C (64 F).

      By the time this test is completed it will be into the start of our spring
      if the item ships immediately.

      Over the test period I plan to be out in the field for close on 14
      days and at least 8 nights.

      Test Plan

      I am interested to see if these binoculars are easy to use with glasses
      (i.e. Can I see through them properly or do I have to take them off). My
      current binoculars are not glasses friendly. As I will be in Fiji the
      glasses will get a good workout to see if they are indeed water/fog proof
      due to the high humidity there. As I do a lot of off track walking I like to
      use binoculars to scout distant terrain for ease of access or what obstacles
      that be encountered. At and around camp I like to do bird watching through
      glasses. How easy is it to quickly adjust the focus to follow a hopping
      bird. Do these glasses cut through haze when viewing distant landscapes or
      do they magnify the haze making it difficult to view the landscape clearly.

      As these glasses are handheld with no tripod option, is the view stable or
      does it jerk about when breathing and shifting off what is being viewed at
      such as the moon/stars, close up flora and fauna

      Link to previous test:

      OR's completed last year -Nil. Done 14 overall.

      Brownie Points. 6.

      Outstanding applications- Nil. I will be applying for the Bushnell Solar
      charger and 25L Backpack. Applications yet to be submitted.

      Additional Roles for BGT. Director, Monitor.

      Ralph Ditton