APPLICATION – NatureView Binoculars – Kathryn Mo ntovan

  • Katie Sullivan Montovan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2013
      It is high time that I get nature into view. I have never owned a pair of
      binoculars and would love to figure out how to use binoculars to view
      wildlife from afar. Thank you for considering my test application.

      APPLICATION � NatureView Binoculars � Kathryn Montovan

      Please accept my application to test the Bushnell BackTrack D-Tour. I have
      read the Bylaws of BackpackGearTest.org v0609 (on March 21, 2012) including
      Chapter 5 and agree to comply with all requirements as a tester. My signed
      tester agreement is on file. I understand that this is a 4-month, 3-report
      test series.

      TESTER INFO:
      Name: Kathryn Montovan
      Current Location: Groton, New York, USA
      Soon to be location: Bennington, Vermont, USA
      Height: 5' 5� (1.65 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)

      I have been backpacking, climbing, kayaking, canoeing and winter camping
      for over 10 years. My excursions are mostly weekend and occasionally
      weeklong backpacking and kayaking trips in the wooded and often wet,
      rolling terrain of western New York. Soon I will be moving to southwestern
      Vermont and exploring the eastern Adirondacks, the Greens, Berkshires, and
      the Taconic Mountains. I usually tarp camp with a small to large group. In
      general, I strive for a compact and light pack but value well made and
      durable gear over ultralight items. I also spend a lot of time day hiking
      and running with my dog.

      *Brief Test Plan:* I love watching nature up close and personal but have
      never owned a pair of binoculars because my brief interactions with other's
      sets have been less than successful. I would love to test how easy these
      are to use for a complete binocular newbie, and would really enjoy the
      opportunity to figure out how to locate and focus on birds and wildlife
      through binoculars. I will soon be in a region with bears and moose and
      have never seen either before but would love to see them closely without
      having to actually be close. I am not much of a birder, but would be
      excited if I could figure out how to locate the birds I hear in the trees
      through binoculars and try my hand at bird identification as well.

      We will soon live on the edge of a forest and will spend a good deal of
      time hiking, backpacking, and sitting on the porch watching for bears and
      other wildlife. Because of the move, I do not have any concrete backpacking
      plans, but expect to go for at least a couple of two-day trips this fall
      and would take the binoculars with me anytime I head out camping or for a
      leisurely hike in the woods. I also would keep them close at hand for
      wildlife observations from our back porch. I will be hiking in the
      mountains and dense forests and expect to be at elevations of 500 - 5000 ft
      (150 � 1500 M) with temperatures between 45 F and 100 F (7 - 38 C) with a
      mix of weather including both rain, wind, and sunshine.

      Current Tests: None.
      OR's in the last 12 months: One
      Current Applications: Bushnell BackTrack D-Tour
      Previous Reports: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/sull0294
      Tester Status Page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1907.html
      Additional BGT Roles: None.

    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2013
        Thanks to all who applied! Selections will be made soon.

        ~derek