Application to test: Tilley Mash-Up Hat - Ray Estrella

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2013
      Please accept my application to test the Tilley Mash-Up Hat. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including, but not limited to, Chapter 5. I agree to comply with and exceed all requirements.

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 52
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (193 cm)
      Weight: 220 lb (100 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Moorhead
      State: Minnesota
      Country: USA
      Date: June 20, 2013

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, and in many of the western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I have made a move to lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with my brother-in-law Dave.

      Test plan

      As may be seen by my many hat reviews and a few tests, I take a hat on every hike I do. My Dad has skin cancer from too many hours in the sun and it was a wake-up call for me. My hats help keep me from getting my face fried off.

      Important things to look at. Fit, does it fit snugly so that it does not blow off every time a puff of wind hits? How easy is it to adjust? When the wind really cranks (as it does often in this flat place) will the drawstring keep it in place? Will the brim keep its shape after a few washings and the occasional dunk in a creek for cooling purposes? Being that both hemp and cotton are quite absorbent will it provide long lasting evaporative cooling? How will it do for rain as I know I will be in plenty of showers?

      I will also report as to how well it works with a permethrin treatment to make it mosquito proof. The cotton and hemp should be excellent for this, much better than my nylon hats.

      I know I can get some trips in locally and won a contest that is going to let me write my own schedule for a couple of weeks so I will do four 10's giving me some 3-day weekends. On those I can take the time to get to the center of the state at least to some better hiking.

      If selected I would want the TMH6 in a size 7-1/2 please.

      Here is a link to my tester page.

      I have one app in at this time (Contour pack, no conflict), and I do not have any tests going.

      My involvement with BGT includes active duty as Mod, Editor, Mentor, and Test Monitor.

      I have completed a lot of test series.

      I have written over 190 Owner Reviews, two already this month.

      My reports and reviews can be found at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella

      Thank you for your consideration of me for this test,

      Ray