Application: Tilley Endurables Mash-Up Hat - Kurt Papke
- 0. If selected for this series, I would like to test the TMH6 as the
broad rim will keep more of the AZ sun off of my face and neck.
1. Disclaimer: I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 in
their entirety and my signed compliance statement is on file.
2. Bio: Resident of Tucson, AZ. 6' 4", 235 lbs, age 59, gender=male,
e-mail: kwpapke(at)gmail(dot)com. I do a variety of canyon, mountain
and desert hiking, mostly in southern Arizona. OMG, by the time this
series finishes i will turn 60 :(
3. Link to Previous Test Reports:
4. Current load=3 (Carbonlite poles + ultralite cot + Nemo bag). In
theory my load=4, but lost hope on the Optic Nerver sunglasses
Link to Test Status Page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1789.htm
5. Pending Applications: none
6. BGT Roles: call manager, monitor
7. OR brownie points = none
8. Test plan:
We are entering the Wet Summer season in the Sonoran Desert where
torrential downpours are common in the late afternoon breaking up the
long days of intense sun. The only permitted overnight I have
scheduled at this time during the test period is a 3-day traverse of
Paria Canyon with Derek in September. I get out pretty much every
weekend, at least on a dayhike. I have been backpacking frequently
lately, but my trips are typically planned just a day or two before
departure, so sorry i cannot be more specific.
My last test report for a Tilley hat is here:
I still wear it on pretty much every hike, and it is getting saturated
with sweat salt and charcoal from brushing the top of my head against
branches in forest burn areas to the point where I can't get it to
come clean in the wash. i am very interested in how the mashup hat
ventilates, and whether it has improved washability.
Thanks for considering my app!