FR - Kindle Cook Box and Cafe - Mike Mosack

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
      Hi Nancy,
      Here is my FR on the Kindle Cook Box and Café. I appreciate your time and edits
      Mike

      http://tinyurl.com/lf4m53q

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Location #1 - Pacific Crest Trail section on Laguna Mountain, Eastern San Diego County in Southern California, USA
      Conditions: Ungroomed foot trails and forest access dirt roads. Temperatures ranging from 55 to 85 F (13 to 29 C)
      Duration: Two trips, the first was 2 days and the second was 3 days (and nights) in duration.

      Location #2 - Numerous miscellaneous day hikes ranging from 2 - 5 miles (3 - 8 km) in the area of Eastern San Diego County.
      Conditions: Maintained trails, grassy areas, some concrete sidewalks and maintained roadway shoulders. Temperatures ranging from 70 to 90 F (21 to 32 C).
      Duration: Day hikes only.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The Cook Box and Cafe are interesting products. I have found so far that they are a convenient way to heat up food and drinks. Since the ambient temperatures I have experienced so far have been well above freezing, I have gotten pretty good results. I do not know how well these would work (how hot the food/drinks might get) in cold weather.

      Using the Cafe, I found that the amount of liquid it actually holds is insufficient for me. I prefer to have more to drink. The Cafe has a sealable lid, but it still leaks if the cup is still seated in the heating cup when tipped (when drinking from it). The Cook Box also leaks when it is tipped. This is not really a problem when I cook my food as long as I keep it level. I had hoped that I might be able to utilize the sealable lid to cook up food as I hiked, but that was not possible. TIpping the Cook Box or Cafe will result in leaking hot water, and possibly releasing steam.

      Both products require that I carry out the used heating packet when I am finished cooking. These packets are not reusable. They are also soaked with water and are substantially heavier than when dry. I have to wait for them to cool and pack them out. Presently, I am not convinced that the weight of the Cook Box and/or Cafe for their size, is worth taking them into the field. I have used

      SUMMARY

      Overall, I like these items. I am not, however, convinced yet, that these would be my first choice for backpacking. So far, I see no significant advantage to substituting these for any of my other liquid, butane, or wood stoves. Due to their weight and the need to dispose of the used heating packets, I would prefer to use these when car/RV camping or on trips where weight savings was not a priority.

      Likes -
      Ease of use
      Seems to work as described
      Easy to clean up

      Would like to see improved -
      Both products leak hot water and/or steam when tipped
      Required to carry/pack out used heating packets
      Heating packets are not reuseable
      Both products are a bit heavy for their size

      I would like to thank <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.kindlecook.ca" LINK TEXT = "Kindle Cook">> and <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.backpackgeartest.org" LINK TEXT = "BackpackGearTest.org">> for allowing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • Nancy Griffith
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
        Hi Mike,
        Thanks for your FR. I see the text but the link (to what's in the test folder) is your Initial Report.  I've got your edits done but just want to look at the html.  Here are your edits in the usual format.  If you will, make the changes and send me the link to the html.  Thanks.

        Nancy

         >>TIpping the Cook Box or Cafe will result in leaking hot water, and possibly releasing steam.
        EDIT: Looks like a capital I should be lower case...'Tipping'

        >>Presently, I am not convinced that the weight of the Cook Box and/or Cafe for their size, is worth taking them into the field.
        Edit: My spell-checker shows no need for the comma after 'size'.

        >>Heating packets are not reuseable
        EDIT: 'reusable'

      • Mike Mosack
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 24, 2013
          Hi Nancy,
          Here is the FR link. I hope you have a good day.
          http://tinyurl.com/qyb8ebp
          I have completed the edits and will delete the test copy once you give me the go-ahead.
          Mike

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
            Thanks Mike. HTML looks fine. Please upload when ready.

            See you in a few months.

            Nancy

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jun 24, 2013, at 4:57 PM, "Mike Mosack" <mosack@...> wrote:

            > Hi Nancy,
            > Here is the FR link. I hope you have a good day.
            > http://tinyurl.com/qyb8ebp
            > I have completed the edits and will delete the test copy once you give me the go-ahead.
            > Mike
            >
            > Hi Mike,
            > Thanks for your FR. I see the text but the link (to what's in the test folder) is your Initial Report. I've got your edits done but just want to look at the html. Here are your edits in the usual format. If you will, make the changes and send me the link to the html. Thanks.
            >
            > Nancy
            >
            > >>TIpping the Cook Box or Cafe will result in leaking hot water, and possibly releasing steam.
            > EDIT: Looks like a capital I should be lower case...'Tipping'
            >
            > >>Presently, I am not convinced that the weight of the Cook Box and/or Cafe for their size, is worth taking them into the field.
            > Edit: My spell-checker shows no need for the comma after 'size'.
            >
            > >>Heating packets are not reuseable
            > EDIT: 'reusable'

          • Mike Mosack
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2013
              Thanks Nancy
              My report was uploaded and the test copy deleted.
              Mike