IR - NEMO - Harmony/Rhythm Sleeping Bag - Kurt Papke

  • Kurt Papke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2013
      Dear mystery monitor - my IR for the NEMO bag is at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Nemo%20bag%20-%20Kurt/

      or: http://tinyurl.com/l7ru5mg

      Text dump follows:

      NEMO Equipment Rhythm Spoon 40 Primaloft Sleeping Bag

      Test Series by Kurt Papke

      Initial Report - April 4, 2013

      Tester Information

      Name: Kurt Papke
      Age: 59
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
      Weight: 235 lbs (107 kg)
      Email address: kwpapke at gmail dot com
      City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona USA

      My backpacking experience is a combination of Minnesota where I have
      lived most of my adult life, and Arizona where I moved to take a new
      job about four years ago. I have always been a "comfort-weight"
      backpacker, never counting grams, but still keeping my pack as light
      as easily attained. I have been an ardent hammock camper for a number
      of years, but the Arizona desert limits the places I can hang, so I
      have been looking for comfortable alternative sleeping gear that does
      not require trees.
      ________________________________

      Initial Report

      Product Information

      Photo courtesy NEMO Equipment

      Manufacturer: NEMO Equipment
      Model:
      Rhythm Spoon 40 Long Primaloft
      Year of manufacture: 2013
      MSRP:
      US $239.95
      Manufacturer website: http://www.nemoequipment.com
      Color tested:
      Aluminum/Riptide (blue/gray). This is the only available color listed
      on the website.
      Materials:
      Shell Fabric: 40D Nylon Ripstop + DWR
      Footbox Fabric: 15D OSMO™ DT W/B + DWR
      Lining Fabric: 30D Nylon Taffeta
      Fill: Primaloft Synergy
      Dimensions:
      Listed:

      Length: 84 in (213 cm)
      Shoulder width: 33 in (84 cm)
      Hip width: 30 in (76 cm)
      Knee width: 35 in (89 cm)

      Measured:

      Length: 84 in (213 cm)
      Shoulder width: 29.5 in (75 cm)
      Hip width: 26 in (66 cm)
      Knee width: 30 in (76 cm)

      Packed Dimensions:
      Listed: 15.5 x 9 in (39 x 23 cm)
      Measured: same as listed in the supplied stuff sack
      Weight: Listed: 2 lbs 9 oz (1.2 kg)
      Measured: 2 lbs 9.2 oz (1.167 kg) without stuff sack
      Stuff sack: 2.15 oz (61 g)

      The length and weight were reasonably close to the manufacturer's
      specifications. As can be seen in the illustration above, the NEMO
      Spoon sleeping bags are neither rectangular nor cocoon shaped, which
      makes the dimensions difficult to verify. There are some
      discrepancies between the listed and measured widths, but I may not
      have been measuring at exactly the right spot, and I may not have
      stretched the fabric in the same fashion as the manufacturer.

      The features listed by the manufacturer include:

      Spoon shape
      Pillow pocket
      Blanket Foldtm
      Waterproof/breathable footbox
      Adjustable hood
      Zippered watch pocket

      A truly unique feature of this sleeping bag is the spoon shape. It is
      designed to give extra room to move in the shoulders and knees while
      conserving weight and bulk. As the above illustration shows, it is
      also designed to allow the user to sit "tailor" style.

      Initial Inspection

      The photo above left shows the included accessories: a storage bag,
      roll-top stuff sack, and a page of NEMO decals. The stuff sack is
      very lightweight, airy and has a nice carrying strap. The above right
      photo shows the hood adjust cord, and the Blanket Foldtm feature, with
      the fold half-up and half-down. Looks like it will be nice and
      snugly. The lower right photo depicts the zippered watch pocket.

      I am impressed with the workmanship and quality of the product. The
      fabrics are silky smooth, the zippers work like butter. I could find
      no loose threads or other obvious defects in construction.

      Trying It Out

      I climbed into the bag on a carpeted floor and tried it out. I am
      just short of the maximum height for the Long model of the bag I am
      testing, and can happily report that I fit just fine from a height
      perspective. The bag is definitely more roomy than a mummy design -
      it was easy for me to roll onto my side without rolling the whole bag
      as I often have to do in my mummy bag. On the other hand, my legs
      seemed a bit too long to sit tailor-style sitting up, but I do not
      regularly sit that way so it is not a capability I shall greatly miss.

      I tried the various features: zipped it open/closed, put my hand into
      the watch pocket, played with the Blanket Foldtm and hood adjustment.
      Everything worked as I expected. I put the bag into the supplied
      stuff sack:

      At top is the Rhythm in the supplied stuff sack, and at bottom is my
      go-to down sleeping back in an 8 L (qt) waterproof stuff sack that I
      like to use to carry my sleeping bag in. There is quite a size
      discrepancy. I tried to get the Rhythm into the sleeping bag
      compartment of my backpack, and it just would not fit. I then crammed
      the bag into the smaller stuff sack shown above. I could get most of
      it in, but could not get the roll-top closed. In this configuration,
      I was able to get the bag to fit into my backpack compartment.

      Summary

      I am really excited to get the Rhythm out into the field and spend a
      night in it. This is a very innovative design, and I am very curious
      to see how it really works in the back country.

      Things I Like So Far:

      Very high quality design and workmanship.
      Appears to be very comfortable.

      Things That Concern Me Upfront:

      Bulk - this bag takes up a lot of space. Primaloft does not compact
      as much as down does, and this is the tradeoff made to achieve the
      other advantages of the fill material.

      ________________________________

      Thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and NEMO Equipment for the opportunity
      to contribute to this test.
    • asklarry99
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2013
        Hi Kurt-

        I apologize for being so late with the edit—things got kinda crazy for me for a couple of weeks, and this got stuck on the back burner. I hate when work gets in the way of backpacking...

        Anyway, here your notes for the NEMO test.

        Please fix and upload when ready.

        See you in <2 months, and I should get the edits done in a timely fashion for that one!

        -larry

        EDIT: Initial Report - April 4, 2013
        >>>Ok, so I know I was late, but this date can't be right! You posted on June 20. :)

        Comment: Shell Fabric: 40D Nylon Ripstop + DWR
        >>>I think it would be helpful for you to explain the abbreviations mentioned in the description of materials. (DWR, OSMO, DT, W/B, etc.).

        Comment: Blanket Fold
        >>>Not sure what this is –could you comment or explain?

        Edit: Looks like it will be nice and snugly.
        >>>I think you mean `snuggly'. (snugly = tight, snuggly = good for snuggling)

        EDIT: The bag is definitely more roomy
        >>>roomier

        Comment: Bulk - this bag takes up a lot of space. Primaloft does not compact as much as down does, and this is the tradeoff made to achieve the other advantages of the fill material.