FR Helly Hansen Odin Hybrid Pants-Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2013
      http://tinyurl.com/lhbj96d

      HELLY HANSEN ODIN HYBRID PANTS
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      FR
      June 25, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for six years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with two or more 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg) depending on the need for a bear canister. I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      My first testing opportunity occurred in the form of conditioning hikes at Turtle Rock in Irvine, California. These are regularly scheduled two evenings each week to help us stay in shape for our many backpack trips. I wore the pants for six evening hikes over a span of three weeks.

      Trip #1:
      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation: 6,000 ft (1800 M)
      Trip duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions: sandy desert terrain off trail
      Temperatures: 40s to 60s F (4-33 C)
      Weather: slightly cloudy and windy

      Trip #2:
      Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation: 5,000 ft (1,500 M)
      Trip Duration: 5 days, 4 nights
      Trail Conditions: sandy desert trail with some rocky portions
      Temperatures: 40s to 60s F (4-33 C)
      Weather: winter desert weather, few clouds, a little wind, with cold nights

      Trip #3:
      Location: Starr Ranch, Orange County, California USA
      Elevation: 4,000 ft ???
      Trip Duration: 2 day hikes
      Trail Conditions: Dirt trails with some steep sections
      Temperatures: 50s to 60s F (10-33 C)
      Weather: cool and windy

      Trip #4:
      Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation: 5,000 ft (1,500 M)
      Trip Duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions: sandy desert partial use trail and partial off trail with some rocky portions
      Temperatures: 50s to 85 (10 - 29 C)
      Weather: partly cloudy with increasing wind the first day, total clouds the second day

      Trip #5:
      Location: Cedar Glen campground in the Baldy area, California USA
      Elevation: 6,000 ft (1800 M)
      Trip Duration: 3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions: dirt trail with some steep rocky sections
      Temperatures: 50s to 85 (10 - 29 C)
      Weather: partly cloudy with light drizzles and fog the first night, sunny then cooler and windy the second day

      Trip #6:
      Location: Delamar Mountain, Big Bear area, California USA
      Elevation: 7,000 to 9,000 ft ( )
      Trip Duration: 1 day hike
      Trail Conditions: dirt trail with steep off trail forest containing lots of brush and downed trees
      Temperatures: 70s to 80s ( )
      Weather: warm sunny summer day

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "close-up">>

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I must admit that when I first received these pants, the shell material looked like it might be too hot to wear in the warmer summer months. After testing them on a few hot day hikes, their moisture wicking and breathability won me over.

      During the evening conditioning hikes at Turtle Rock, perspiration built up at my lower back under my fanny pack. Once I removed the fanny pack, there was perspiration under the pants on my skin above my underwear, but I checked and found the pants were not damp. Within two minutes, I forgot about any feeling of dampness.

      On Trip #1, the weekend trip to Joshua Tree, the pants were comfortable to wear. There was no dampness from perspiration in the cool windy conditions.

      On Trip #2, the 5-day, 38 mile through hike in Joshua Tree, the pants eventually picked up some dirt on the outside from the dusty desert trail which affected the appearance but not the performance. They continued to keep me warm and comfortable in the cool windy weather. When the daytime temperatures warmed, the pants continued to dissipate any perspiration that would occur.

      On Trip #3, the Starr Ranch two day hikes, I noticed the pants kept me warm in the cool windy weather. It felt like I was wearing rain pants because they blocked the cool wind.

      On Trip #4, the weekend trip to Joshua Tree, the pants were comfortable and kept me warm during the cooler windy portion of the day. What little perspiration occurred during strenuous activity climbing the peak to Quail Mountain was quickly dissipated. The stretchy panels on the thighs allowed for larger steps up the rocks without being inhibited by tight pant legs. I received many compliments from the ladies on the stylish design of the pants.

      On Trip #5, the long weekend trip to Cedar Glen, it began to drizzle lightly on the hike in to camp. The breathable panel on the front of the thighs kept the rain water from soaking in. During the water filtering process the next day, a few drops of water dripped on the pants. I was surprised and happy to see the beads of water run off the pants and not soak in like on my other hiking pants.

      On Trip #6, the day hike to Delamar Mountain, the pants picked up dirt from the dusty forest trail and off trail portions. I don't recall my other hiking pants attracting dirt like these pants. The dirt accumulates on the lower portion of the shell material below the knees. The dirt does not collect on the waterproof breathable panels on the thighs.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "On the way to Cedar Glen">>

      SUMMARY

      The pants are stylish and comfortable to wear. With the fit being tight, it has encouraged me to maintain my weight and conditioning. I have received many compliments from my hiking partners on how attractive the pants fit. They fit my female shape in a flattering way. I have enjoyed wearing these pants in all conditions. I have noticed the pants show dirt more than my other hiking pants, but this does not affect their performance.

      This concludes my Field Report. Please check back in two months for my Long Term Report. Thanks to Helly Hansen and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test these stylish and comfortable pants.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.