APPLICATION - BackTrack D-TOUR - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2013
      Mike,

      Here is my application for the BackTrack D-Tour. I have some big trips coming up that I'd love to try on the D-TOUR. Thanks for this opportunity. I use a Macintosh computer, which might provide an alternative for connectivity with this device.

      1. DISCLAIMER

      I have read the test requirements stated in BGT tester bylaws, v. 0609, and I promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities. My test agreement has been submitted and is on file.

      2. MY BRIEF BIO

      Name - Derek Hansen
      Age - 36
      Gender - Male
      Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight - 170 lb (77 kg)
      Electronic Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|daught}com
      Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

      Computer - Mac OS X 10.8.4

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a 3-season overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast. I prefer simple, multi-use gear that I can rely on in a variety of conditions.

      3. BRIEF TEST PLAN & CONDITIONS

      When most people I talk with think of Arizona, they picture a desert a dry, warm climate. Flagstaff, in contrast, is a cold, wet place--markedly different than southern Arizona. Flagstaff is situated on the edge of the Colorado Plateau, surrounded by pine trees and aspen, and boasts more than 100 inches (254+ cm) of snowfall each year. At 7,000 ft (2,100 m) elevation, Flagstaff gets a wide-range of conditions, including summer monsoons, strong winds, and moderate summer temperatures.

      I have several upcoming trips over the next 4-5 months that could see some great testing conditions for the D-Tour. I expect to have a few day hikes and a few solo overnighters as well.

      6/20-21: Sycamore Rim Trail - 11 mile rim hike.

      6/24-7/4: Various day hikes and overnight trips in northern Utah in the Uinta and Wasatch mountains. Hoping for an overnight climb of Mount Timpanogos, elevation 11,749 ft (3,581 m) and prominence of 5,269 ft (1,606 m).

      7/15-20: 50-mile backpacking trips with the Boy Scouts along the AZT. I'd love to test the battery life and trip logging capacity on this multi-day trip.

      8/30-31: Oak Creek Canyon. This trip will be in a canyon with 1,500-2,000 ft () high walls. I usually get some reception in this canyon, but it will be a good test for the D-TOUR.

      9/19-21: Paria Canyon. This long slot canyon will really test the ability of any GPS device to maintain a signal. I suspect 3/4 of the trail will be unreachable.

      9/27-28: Wet Beaver Creek. Another canyon trip, but not as narrow.

      4. CURRENT LOAD AND TEST STATUS PAGE

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1800.htm

      Report Uploads: 10 @ -1

      Helly Hansen Flow Jacket - FR 7/9
      Helly Hansen Odin Pant - FR 6/25

      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

      5. OWNER REVIEWS
      I have completed four (5) owner reviews in 2013.

      6. OUTSTANDING APPLICATIONS
      None.

      7. ADDITIONAL BGT ROLES

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

      I am a test monitor and editor.

      I am also working on the BGT web development team to design and deploy the new BackpackGearTest website. This is an on-again, off-again project. Mostly off.