Application: Bushnell SolarWrap mini - Dawn Larsen

  • vicioushillbilly
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2013
      Hi Kurt!
      I've been traveling and am finally in one place for a month or so. So, please accept my application to test the Bushnell SolarWrap Mini. My test agreement was mailed 2 July 2008. I agree to comply with all the report requirements including Chapter 5 found in the BackpackGearTest. org bylaws v. 0609, which I most recently read on 5 May 2013.

      Name: Dawn Larsen
      Age: 52
      Gender: female
      Height: 5' 4" (163 cm)
      Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email address: vicioushillbilly AT gmail DOT com
      Florence, South Carolina USA
      Date: 19 June 2013

      Backpacking Background:
      I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just in the last several years have backpacked some private trails in Tennessee, Missouri and most South Carolina. I have been an avid car-camper for thirteen years and I have kayak/canoe camped for six years, both in South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas. I use a lot of the same equipment for both. I hike hilly/rocky trails especially in Missouri (my home state) and Arkansas. I live in South Carolina and am busy checking out the terrain here with my twenty year-old son.

      Test Plan
      I own a solar charger that is a lame waste of money. The unit doesn't store up enough power to actually charge anything else so I would like to test something that works. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to test this thing at Burning Man in August. Burning Man is a giant week-long social experiment in the Black Rock desert of Nevada. This year, I am training to be a Burning Man Ranger so I will have lots of opportunities to hike in the blazing sun. I will have to power cameras and an iPhone that I own. And I camp with a bunch of burners and it would be fun to see how well it would charge other gear that they bring. Too, I would like to see how the unit performs with the dust issue at Burning Man (it gets in everything and is very caustic). I would also like to test this when camping and hiking. I sometimes take my iPad to car camp and would like to see if it could charge it, because it doesn't mention something that big in the online information. As well as camping and backpacking (2 trips in Missouri/Arkansas planned), I will also be kayaking and biking this summer in Missouri and Arkansas. Besides charging capabilities, I would test for durability and packability.

      Tester Status page can be found at: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1845.htm

      Previously Written Reports can be found at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/vicioushillbilly

      Current tests:
      GSI Pack Kitchen – LTR due 6 August 2013

      NO applications out.

      2 owner reviews in the past 12 months.

      Other duties: Test manager

      Thank you for considering this application and thanks to Bushnell for providing the SolarWrap Mini for testing – Dawn Larsen.