Application – Gregory Contour 60 (Men’s) - David Wilkes

  • david wilkes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2013
      Disclaimer
      Please
      accept my application. My signed tester agreement is on file, I have read
      BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 0609, as well as the
      BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws, and I intend to meet or exceed all test and
      reporting requirements.

      Bio
      Biographical
      Information
      Name: David Wilkes
      E-Mail: amatbrewer@...
      Age:
      46
      Location: Yakima Washington USA
      Gender: M
      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)
      Torso
      length 19” (48 cm) [M in Gregory pack sizes]

      I started backpacking in 1995 when I moved to Washington State. Since then, I
      have backpacked in all seasons and conditions and do most of my backpacking
      alone in the Washington Cascades. I prefer trips on rugged trails with plenty
      of elevation gain. My basic overnight pack is around 30 lbs (14 kg), not
      including consumables.

      Product Relevant
      Information
      In
      2009 I had the privilege of testing the Gregory z25 day pack and it has been my
      go to day pack ever since. In fact I just returned from a conditioning walk with
      the z25 loaded down with about 25lbs of chain and 2L of water (trying to get my
      legs into shape for an upcoming climb).

      For
      the last few years my go-to pack for overnight trips has been my Osprey Ether
      70. While it is a very comfortable pack, except for some winter trips this is
      often more pack than I need and I have been considering dropping down to a 60L
      pack, so this test really caught my attention. Aside for the size, I find some
      of the features of the pack interesting. I like the idea of the 3 zone
      organization system. The sternum strap looks to be of a different design than
      many of the packs now on the market, and I think the side access to the main
      compartment could be nice…or possibly a disaster should the zipper fail. I am
      really curious about the external hydration pack, how well it works and if it
      affects the fit/comfort of the pack. Of course I expect a Gregory pack to be
      very comfortable and durable…so if it is not I will be sure to mention it.

      At
      this time I don’t have many firm trip plans yet. I have an overnight cross cut saw
      training planned for the end of July (camping) and I intend on participating in
      at least one overnight PCT maintenance crew trip this year (probably Oct).
      Besides that I will be going on outings as the opportunities arise.

      Previous Tests/OR’s
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/amatbrewer

      OR’s in last 12
      Months