LTR PCT DVD - David Wilkes

  • david wilkes
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
      I really did not want to be the first to submit my report, but I guess someone
      has to, so here it goes. Below you will find the text from my LTR. BTW are we
      still going to call this an LTR?
      You will find the HTML in the test folder or at: http://tinyurl.com/k559d75
      I look forward to your edits, and given how unique this test is I
      welcome any comments/suggestions you may have.

      Notes:
      In this report I will refer to Tell It ON the Mountain interchangeably
      as a film and documentary.
      All of the photos in this report are screen captures from the film.

      I am a big fan of documentaries and educational films. From science, to
      biographies, to history, I watch them all; I have even been known to watch
      documentaries about making documentaries. So having the opportunity to review a
      film on the PCT? Wow, what a chance…that is if it is good. But what if it is
      bad? After all it is over 2 hrs. plus another 55min of extras (extras and bios)!
      This could be a very pleasant or rather painful 3hrs of my life. With that in
      mind I put the disk in my DVD player, got comfortable on the couch, and started
      watching the film (sans popcorn).

      The opening graphics were nice. They list the options and the selection
      is indicated by a pair of boot prints; nice touch. Being familiar with
      documentaries and related films, I was prepared for low quality title graphics
      and/or overuse of a bunch of “really cool effects” that the filmmakers just
      could not help but use. What I was not prepared for was very attractive,
      simple, professional, and extremely appropriate title scenes and graphics. And
      by giving “Mother Nature” billing for providing the scenery, showed the film
      was not going to be taking its self too seriously. A really good start!

      As mentioned the film starts out with some very nice title graphics and
      opening scenes then goes on to provide some information about the PCT, the
      people involved and especially the few folks who for the lack of another term
      star in this film. The rest of the film is a series of clips, of various
      length, showing the trail experience from the point of view of the participants
      as well as some clips from interviews and what is probably video taken by the
      filmmakers. The film roughly progresses in the same sequence as the hikers
      traveling the PCT from its southern California starting point to its terminus
      at the US/Canadian border. A few days after watching the film I loaded the disk
      into my laptop and started watching the extras. The film concludes with a
      chapter titled epilogues that wraps up the stories of the various people
      involved very nicely. The ending graphics and credits are as well done as in
      the opening with another nod to the light hearted way this was made by crediting
      “Mother Nature as herself.”

      What can I say about the sound track? I loved the music and it was well
      suited to complement the film. The title song has been stuck in my head since I
      first watched this, and I mean that in a good way. It is quite pleasant to be
      at work and realize I am humming the title song and thinking either about some
      part of the film, or reminded of my own trail adventures.

      One of my favorite parts of the film was the wedding. It reminded me of
      my first Mt Adams climb where we stopped at a scenic section of the trail and a
      couple that was with us was married. We continued on and the couple returned to
      the trailhead to go on their honeymoon. It was kind of surreal.

      Any attempt I could make to describe the characters in this film, their
      adventures, or the PCT itself would simply not do the film justice and so I
      will refrain from trying. I will however go as far as saying that my personal
      experiences with PCT through hikers and what interesting characters they are
      was supported by this film, but my experiences pale to the people the
      filmmakers focused on. I will also say that the scenery captured for this film
      is fantastic to the point that I have found myself pausing it in various parts
      as I re-watch it just to extend the experience and envision myself there. I
      have also been unable to refrain to pause various scenes trying to see if it is
      a location that I recognize. While some of the shots seam very familiar, the
      only one that I am entirely sure of is the shot of someone passing through the
      tunnel (drilled in the rock to pass behind a waterfall) on a section that is
      locally called Eagle Creek.

      One thing of note about this film beyond what is in it, and what is in
      it is very good, is what was left out. Information about the PCT itself,
      covering its conception, construction, features, maintenance and future I’m
      sure could fill a documentary all by itself. So could easily become a major
      portion of a film like Tell It On The Mountain. But the filmmakers did a
      wonderful job in my opinion of including enough information about the trail to
      provide the needed backdrop and framework for the people that the film focuses
      on. Something else left out, as far as I can tell, is any reference to, or
      appearance of the filmmakers. Given my previous statement about how the focus
      was on the people I can understand the intent of this. However I find that
      having some knowledge about who the filmmakers are helps put a film like this
      into better prospective. So I would love if the film included something on the
      filmmakers themselves. Maybe short interviews, or since it is clear they were
      having fun with this and have a sense of humor, I suspect there may be some
      very entertaining outtakes that might do the trick.

      If it is not obvious from the above I really enjoyed this film. So far
      I have watched it at least twice in its entirety, including all the extras, and
      have re-watched various sections a few more times. Some of this was for my
      report, but most of it was simply for my own enjoyment. I expect I will end up
      watching this film many more times in the future.

      Likes
      The DVD is made from recycled materials
      The cover graphics are simple and attractive
      Excellent graphics and editing
      The extras and bios were quite enjoyable and added to the film

      Dislikes
      Nothing at all

    • Kurt Papke
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
        Nice report David - i can tell you really enjoyed the movie! I have
        no substantive corrections for you, just some grammatical nitpicking:

        > In this report I will refer to Tell It ON the Mountain

        EDIT: capitalization, "On"

        > All of the photos in this report are screen captures from the film

        Comment: great job!! The screen captures added a lot.

        > As mentioned the film starts out with some very nice title graphics and opening scenes then goes on to provide some information about the PCT, the people involved and especially the few folks who for the lack of another term star in this film.

        EDIT: comma issues. I recommend "As mentioned, the film starts out
        with some very nice title graphics and opening scenes, then goes on to
        provide some information about the PCT, the people involved, and
        especially the few folks who for the lack of another term star in this
        film."

        > Mt Adams

        EDIT: spell out Mount or add period for abbreviation "Mt. Adams"

        > through hikers

        edit: I think this should be hypenated "through-hikers", that's the
        way I typically see it.

        > While some of the shots seam

        EDIT: seem

        > So could easily become a major portion of a film like Tell It On The Mountain.

        EDIT: incomplete sentence (no subject). maybe the easiest way to fix
        this one is "This could easily..."

        > But the filmmakers did a wonderful job in my opinion of including enough information about the trail to provide the needed backdrop and framework for the people that the film focuses on.

        EDIT: can't start a sentence with "But". I think you could just drop
        the "But" and it reads well.

        C'est tout. After making your corrections, upload at will and
        remember to delete from the Test folder. Thanks for your good work on
        this test!

        --Kurt
      • david wilkes
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 19, 2013
          Kurt,

          Thanks for catching my dumb mistakes, and even more for your comments. Being such a unique tests I was not sure I was on the right track or not.

          I made the changes, deleted the file from the test folder, and uploaded the corrected version.
          Now that the report is done I look forward to watching it again just for the pleasure of it. Maybe tonight while I am assembling my gear g

          Dave

          >________________________________

        • david wilkes
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 20, 2013
            Kurt,
            I noticed two other mistakes in the report that I intend to
            fix (tonight if I have time).
            In the third paragraph, the line “A few days after watching
            the film I loaded the disk into my laptop and started watching the extras.” should
            have been at the end of the paragraph not in the middle.

            > …unable to refrain to pause… Needs to be fixed. I will
            change the line to: “I have also been unable to refrain from pausing various
            scenes trying to see if it is a location that I recognize.”

            Thanks again,
            Dave

            >________________________________

          • Kurt
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 20, 2013
              Good catches both!!

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, david wilkes <amatbrewer@...> wrote:

              > Kurt,
              > I noticed two other mistakes in the report that I intend to
              > fix (tonight if I have time).
              > In the third paragraph, the line “A few days after watching
              > the film I loaded the disk into my laptop and started watching the extras.” should
              > have been at the end of the paragraph not in the middle.
              >
              > > …unable to refrain to pause… Needs to be fixed. I will
              > change the line to: “I have also been unable to refrain from pausing various
              > scenes trying to see if it is a location that I recognize.”
              >
              > Thanks again,
              > Dave
              >

              > >________________________________

            • Kurt Papke
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 21, 2013
                Our automated grammar checker (ha ha!) found a few more typos in your LTR:

                > Measured Dementions:

                EDIT: Dimensions

                > This is a documentary covering about a dozen through hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail

                EDIT: through-hikers

                > includes 55min of extras
                > it is over 2 hrs. plus another 55min of extras

                EDIT: 55 minutes (2 occurrences)

                > standard dvd holder

                EDIT: DVD

                > rather painful 3hrs of my life

                EDIT: 3 hours

                Sorry for the multiple iterations on this. i need to get a better
                grammar checker!

                --Kurt
              • david wilkes
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 21, 2013
                  Yikes.
                  I am heading out for a backpacking trip this evening, will try to get it done by Tues.

                  Thanks,
                  Dave

                • david wilkes
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013