IR - Gerber BG Intense Torch - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2013
      Mystery Monitor, Here is my IR for the Gerber Intense Torch.

      The HTML should be found at: http://tinyurl.com/mcgjow3

      GERBER INTENSE TORCH
      TEST SERIES BY EDWIN MORSE
      IR
      June 16, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Edwin Morse
      EMAIL: ed dot morse at charter dot net
      AGE: 75
      LOCATION: Grand Traverse County, Michigan, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan along the
      Lake Superior shore. My gear was cheap, heavy and sometimes painful. My
      starting pack weight was 70 lb (32 kg) with food but no water. Since then I
      have made one- and two-week trips in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire and
      Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Florida. Now my pack weighs between
      22 and 32 lb (10 and 15 kg). I'm slowly learning what lighter gear works.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Gerber Gear (Designed and engineered in Oregon. Made in China)
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      "http://www.gerbergear.com">>
      MSRP: US$ 63
      Listed Weight: 5.0 oz (142 g) (with batteries)
      Measured Weight: 4.9 oz (139 g) (with batteries)
      Measured Weight: 3.3 oz (94 g) (without batteries)
      Orange aluminum housing, with the center 3 in (7.62 cm) covered with black
      rubber grip area
      Other details: Requires two AA batteries, included.
      Measured Length: 6 3/16 in = 6.1875 in (15.72 cm)
      Waterproof design good for 30 minutes at one meter
      Tri-sided design won't roll on flat surfaces
      Output and run time
      High: 140 lumens for 1 hr 30 min
      Medium: 35 lumens for 8 hr 30 min
      Low: 15 lumens for 17 hrs
      S.O.S. 140 lumens
      Momentary on push button for signaling
      Priorities of Survival - Pocket guide contains Bear's survival essentials

      Above information is from the blister pack the torch arrived in, except for
      the measured weights and length. Here is a picture of the Torch lying on the
      blister pack.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Torch on blister pack">>
      I did cut away the plastic blister since it would reflect light in the
      picture. Below is a picture showing the power button on the back of the
      Torch.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "showing power button">>

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Gerber Bear Grylis Intense Torch, hereinafter called Torch or light,
      came in a blister pack as do many small objects. The Torch and pocket
      survival guide were on the front and the included AA batteries on the back.

      The Torch is both heavier and much brighter than the small coin light I
      carry to back up my headlamp. At first glance, it seems to me the lanyard is
      either just a little short or a lot short. If it was an inch (2.5 cm) longer
      it would be much easier to loop around a small branch or tent pole. If the
      lanyard was six inches (15 cm) longer I could hang the Torch around my neck.
      On the other hand, if the lanyard were much longer than it is it would often
      be in the way.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      I have found no instructions for using the Torch. Both on the blister pack
      and on the website it states that there are three settings for brightness
      and an automatic SOS feature. Nowhere have I found instructions on how to
      change the brightness settings.

      Mostly I ignore instructions until I have a problem. Instructions can speed
      the learning process.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I think the tri-sided shape is interesting and very practical. I unscrewed
      the Torch to put in the batteries. Without thinking, since I had put
      batteries in many other flashlights, I put the positive ends in first. After
      I tried twice to turn the light on I realized I had unscrewed the front of
      the light. I then removed the batteries and slid them in the tube with the
      negative ends first. Then the light turned on with a push of the power
      button on the back end.

      Like most little kids, when I get a new toy I have to play with it. I went
      to the backyard after dark to walk around with the Torch. We don't have
      street lights so our backyard is really dark. I did find that when I hold
      the Torch as shown on many TV shows it is easy to push the button to turn it
      on with my thumb. Here is a picture with the Torch held in the high
      position. My thumb just naturally falls on the power button.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "held high">>
      Perhaps there really is a reason people on TV hold their lights high.

      Walking miles through dark woods in my younger years I found it easier to
      carry a flashlight down low with my thumb forward. Thinking about that I
      realized that the on/off switch was right under my thumb. I got out an old
      two cell flashlight to be sure my memory was good. Here is a picture with
      the Torch held in the low position, with my thumb forward.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "held low">>
      When holding the Torch this way I have to use my other hand to turn the
      power on.

      It still seems to me that either light held low gives a better view of the
      path at night. Held low any object in the path throws a bigger shadow,
      making rocks and exposed roots easier to see. Headlamps are great for doing
      camp chores. When I walk down a trail in the dark I sometimes hold the
      headlamp in my hand down low for a better view of obstructions. The next
      time out I will use the Torch when leaving the tent at night.

      SUMMARY

      The torch appears to be an improvement over similar lights I've used in past
      years. While it is heavier than either my headlamp or the small coin light I
      carry for backup, it is a much brighter light.

      It seems to me that the Torch will be much easier to put my hand on in a
      dark tent than the small coin light. I used a small carabiner to hang the
      Torch on a closet rod so it will work just as well to hang it in the top of
      my tent. I will be using the Torch to replace the coin light while I
      experiment with different uses.

      This concludes my Initial Report.
      I would like to thank Gerber and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to use
      and test this interesting light.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2013
        Hi Edwin,

        I am going to take this test now so here are your overdue edits. Sorry for the wait.

        See you in a couple months,

        Ray

        EDIT: the actual name of the light is the "Gerber Bear Grylls Intense Torch" so this needs to be in the title

        ***Manufacturer: Gerber Gear,

        EDIT: it is Gerber Legendary Blades

        ***The Gerber Bear Grylis Intense Torch,

        EDIT: Grylls

        *** At first glance, it seems to me the lanyard is either just a little short or a lot short. If it was an inch (2.5 cm) longer it would be much easier to loop around a small branch or tent pole. If the lanyard was six inches (15 cm) longer I could hang the Torch around my neck. On the other hand, if the lanyard were much longer than it is it would often be in the way.

        Edit: it would help a lot to know what the actual length is to give the reader some idea of what you are describing. (i.e. it seems to me the 6 in/15 cm-long lanyard is either justÂ…)
      • Edwin Morse
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2013
          Ray,
          Thanks for the edits. All done, new HTML uploaded and file removed from test
          folder.

          Ed

          _____