IR Adidas Terrex shoes--Rick D

  • redbike64
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2013
      Howdy campers and especially camper dads, below, please find a link to my draft IR and the associated report text.

      Happy Sunday!

      Rick

      http://tinyurl.com/laz4jvp

      Adidas Terrex Fast X GTX
      Test Series by Rick Dreher<<IMAGE 1>>
      IR
      June 13, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Rick Dreher
      EMAIL: redbike64(at)hotmail(dot)com
      AGE: 59
      LOCATION: Northern California
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)
      FOOT SIZE US men's 11.5
      TORSO LENGTH 19.5 in (50 cm)
      YEARS HIKING 41

      I enjoy going high and light and frequently take shorter "fast- packing" trips. My longest trips are a week or so. I've lightened my pack load because I enjoy hiking more when toting less, I can go farther and over tougher terrain, and I have cranky ankles. I use trekking poles and generally hike solo or tandem. I've backpacked all over the U.S. West and now primarily hike California's Sierra Nevada. My favorite trips are alpine and include off-trail travel and sleeping in high places. When winter arrives, I head back for snowshoe outings in the white stuff.

      INITIAL REPORT

      Product Info & Specs

      Manufacturer: Adidas
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.adidas.com" LINK TEXT = "Adidas Web site">>
      MSRP: US$165
      Listed Weight: (UK 8.5) 27.2 oz (770 g)
      Measured Weight: (US 11.5) 33,.6 oz (1,066 g)
      Other details: Low-top trail shoes with Gore-Tex liners.

      Initial Impressions

      <h3>Description</h3>
      The Adidas Terrex Fast R GTX (Terrex GTX) are waterproof-breathable, low-top trail shoes. While similar to typical "trail-running" shoes, they are thoroughly ruggedized, especially in areas I've found many trail shoes to be vulnerable, especially the toe, fabric upper and foam midsole. They have Gore-Tex liners and single-pull lacing with toggle locks, in lieu of traditional laces.

      <h3>Design and Construction</h3>
      The design is complex, with uppers of open-weave fabric, webbing, rubber aromoring and faux leather reinforcement. The moderately lugged soles are cut away at the instep and accommodate gaiter straps, particularly important for low-top trail shoes. Tongues are gusseted against debris and shifting. The heel is split at the back third and that portion seems to be cushioned against heel-strike with an elastomer layer (labeled "adiPRENE"). Soles are made by the tire company, Continental, using "TRAXION" rubber that Adidas claims to grip well in wet conditions (hydrophilic). (So by coincidence, I can bicycle, drive and walk propelled by Continental, all in one day.)

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Wicking, removable insoles are anti-bacterial.">>

      As noted above, lacing is single-pull with locking toggles. The laces themselves are very thin and do not stretch. For the most part, the laces pass through plastic sleeves anchored with webbing and hopefully, don't create pressure points across the foot. The lace locks seem to resist slippage and there's even an elastic keeper "lace bungee" for the pull tabs.

      Insoles are removable, not glued into place. They're labeled "Ortholite" and are said to wick moisture and be treated against odor. The forefoot has an extra foam layer.

      Overall construction appears neat and clean. Stitching and glue joints are neat, clean and gapless. There's no rough stitching, although the lining does have a couple exposed seams.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Tough soles extend up over the toe.">>

      The Instructions

      No information was supplied with the shoes, either printed on the box or on the feature hangtags. The Adidas Web site has Terrex GTX page listing features and average weight, but no further user guidance. They're shoes, not complicated gear, so I don't feel particularly ill-informed.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Heel cushioning above hinged heel section.">>

      Fitting the Shoes

      Before I bother trying trail shoes in the store I give them a workover--bending and flexing them to figure out whether they'll survive the trail and protect my feet and ankles. These Terrex GTX, while lightweight are really stout. I can barely twist them and the soles resisist bending as well. First test is passed easily.

      Loosening the laces and pulling out the tongue, my feet fit easily, helped by the heel loop. Second test is also a success.

      After tightening the laces and wearing mid-weight socks, the fit is snug but not tight. There's toe room and walking around the house, my heels don't rub. Not a conclusive test but as far as fit goes, the Terrex GTX seem like a good match for my feet. Critical text three is a go. Let's go hiking!

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "Lacing system, with toggle lock and lace keeper.">>

      Summary

      The Terrex GTX are closer to light boots than lightweight trail "sneakers," even if they're not much more than sneaker weight. They pass all my picky initial tests with ease: they fit, they're stout yet light and they're stablilized. I'm keen to find out how they do on the trail, <em>avec</em> backpack.

      Acknowledgments

      My sincere thanks to Adidas and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test the Terrex GTX shoes!