FR - Kindle Cooke - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2013
      Sorry the first post had not title ...

      Hi Nancy,
      Kindle has so far been an interesting test ... here's the HTML and text below. Thanks for the editing. Theresa

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20Kindle%20Cook%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      KINDLE COOK
      TEST SERIES BY THERESA LAWRENCE
      FR
      June 11, 2013

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      During the field test I took the Kindle Cook Box and Cafe with me on the following adventures:

      - 1 backcountry ski-touring overnight to Akimina Pass in Waterton Park, Alberta: temperatures as low as -11 C (12 F), mostly clear skies and some light snow
      - 1 day snow shoe trip near Sparwood, BC: temperature around 5 C (41 F), cloudy skies
      - 7 days, 6 nights cycling/ hiking/ car camping trip to Moab, Utah: temperatures ranged from 7 C (44 F) to 38 C (100 F), mostly clear skies, windy
      - Carried in SAR pack during SAR training practices and call outs in case of emergency, but have not been in a situation to require using it

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      First of all, I was indeed curious as to whether I could use snow to activate the heat pack and proceed to melt snow. I wasn't successful with this. The heat pack appears to require at least enough water to cover it before it will activate and I wasn't able to melt enough snow by the heat of my hand to do this. I was able to melt snow using water to activate the heat pack. In below freezing temperatures I was able to melt snow and obtain lukewarm water, in slightly warmer temperatures above freezing I was able to get a nice hot beverage after about 15 minutes. I did not try to get a hot meal in below freezing after not achieving a hot beverage. Admittedly, I used a fire burning stove to gain boiled water and cook my dehydrated food, after all who could blame me it was well below freezing and I was getting cold and very hungry. I suppose this would allow me to say I would not bother bringing this cooking system into this type of backcountry setting. I was
      able to get a hot meal when temperatures were above freezing, I had to wait about 15-20 minutes.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Water spew stains">>In the warm and hot temperatures of Moab, Utah, I was far more successful in getting hot meals and drinks in under 15 minutes and sometimes closer to 10 minutes. Mind you I perhaps didn't feel as much need for them as I was roasting coming from my much colder conditions north of the border. But, I was pleased as much to see this cook system come alive.

      As an example of things that cook well in the Kindle Cook Box are Mountain House Meals and Mr. Noodle type Asian meals and ready to eat prepackaged Indian food. The Kindle appears to cook anything that just requires hot water to reconstitute and not necessarily cook. I plan to broaden the horizon on types of meals that can be cooked in the long term testing period.

      Other observations: I still get the water spewing from the heat pack compartment, which turned white and discolored the neoprene and container, making it a bit messy. Meaning I wouldn't want to do this inside a tent for example, which I had hoped was going to be an advantage over fire and fuel cook stoves for those miserable rainy, windy moments where I could just hide in the tent and cook my meal a la Kindle. I also found carrying out the leftover used packs a bit of a nuisance. They are heavier and take up more space then when they were packed in. And I have also noted that I'm running out of heat packs, which will need to be replaced eventually. No prices are listed for the cook set or their heat packs, so can't say whether this is an affordable situation or not.

      The Kindle set is easy enough to pack, I put all the heat packs for both in the cook box. They don't appear to weigh much or take up much room and even fit in my SAR pack, which I plan to use in an emergency situation. The Kindle has proven very easy to use and doesn't require your attention once it's activated and going. It has also been easy to clean, which is important in the backcountry.

      SUMMARY

      So far this test has been rather interesting and I have learned much about the Kindle's use. The Cook Box and Cafe have been easy to pack, easy to use and easy to clean, although not without a little mess with the activation water spewing everywhere. I have found limited use in below freezing and winter temperatures, but they were increasingly more effective and efficient in warmer conditions. As the summer temperatures heighten in the long term testing phase I plan to broaden the horizon on types of meals I can cook with the Kindle. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3"  IMAGE CAPTION = "The aftermath of the spew">>
      LIKES:
      - Small, light, easy to pack
      - Easy to use, no fuel or fire required
      - Easy to clean

      DISLIKES:
      - Having heavier used material to pack out
      - Not knowing what the chemical activation material that is being thrown away  is or how it affects the environment makes it feel not so eco-friendly
      - Messy, water spews everywhere and discolors the container
      - Cafe leaked when packed with water
      - Limited use in winter conditions

      Thanks again to Amundson Outdoor Products Ltd. and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to take part in this very interesting test series. I'm looking forward to the next 2 months in warmer conditions.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • Nancy Griffith
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013
        Hi Theresa,

        Nice report.  This is a very interesting product.  I couldn't find any edits but just had one question.  You seem to indicate that the test with snow wasn't effective but at the end you say that the product worked as described.

        Upload away.  I'm looking forward to your next report.

        Thanks,

        Nancy

      • Nancy Griffith

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013
            Hi Theresa,
            Thanks for a very nice report. I'm having fun reading about this unique item.

            Here are your edits. Feel free to upload when ready. I'm looking forward to the next set of reports.

            Happy trails,

            Nancy

            <<In
            below freezing temperatures I was able to melt snow and obtain lukewarm water,
            in slightly warmer temperatures above freezing I was able to get a nice hot
            beverage after about 15 minutes.
            Edit: My spell-checker shows the need for a semi-colon (instead of a comma) after 'water'

            <<I was
            able to get a hot meal when temperatures were above freezing, I had to wait
            about 15-20 minutes.
            Edit: Same thing here '...freezing; I had...'.  It looks like two independent clauses.

            <<The Kindle set is easy enough to pack, I put all the heat
            packs for both in the cook box.
            Edit: Another one...

            <<They
            are heavier and take up more space then when they were packed in.
            Edit: 'than' instead of 'then'

            Recent Activity:
            Visit Your Group

            .

          • ringrat55
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
              Thanks Nancy. I modified that sentence in my summary slightly, so hopefully that makes more sense. See ya on the next one.
              Andrea

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Griffith <bkpkrgirl@...> wrote:

              > Hi Andrea,
              >
              > Dang.  I meant to do Theresa's edits first but was reading your report.  So these are YOUR edits.  I'm doing Theresa's now.
              >
              > Nancy
              >

              > Hi Andrea,
              >
              > Nice report.  This is a very interesting product.  I couldn't find any edits but just had one question.  You seem to indicate that the test with snow wasn't effective but at the end you say that the product worked as described.
              >
              > Upload away.  I'm looking forward to your next report.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Nancy

            • Theresa Lawrence
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 19, 2013
                Thanks Nancy, I've uploaded the final version, see you in august.
                Theresa