FR: Helly Hansen Hybrid Pants - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2013
      Mike,
      Here is my FR for the Helly Hansen Hybrid Pants. Decided to post it just inside the two-week window as I will be out in the wilderness for an extended time. If edits are received by Thursday morning I will upload but otherwise it will wait til I get back. Thanks so much.

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/pd9a93r

      Field
      Report:
      June 11, 2013

      USA Locations and Conditions

      During the field test period I have worn the Helly Hansen Hybrid Pants
      during two backpacking trips as well as extensively for daily sport
      activities.
      Locations of all activities were in the State of Michigan and ranged
      from hilly deciduous forest to open non-deciduous
      communities. Elevation ranged from 600 ft (183 m) to almost 2000 ft
      (610 m).

      Location of Trip
      #1: Pictured Rocks National
      Lakeshore
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 22 mi (35.5 km) backpacking plus 3.5 mi (5.6 km) dayhiking
      Length of Trip: 3 days/2nights
      Pack Weight: Approx 26 lb (12 kg)
      Sky and Air
      Conditions: Cloudy and sunny
      Precipitation:None
      Temperature
      Range: 32 F to 57 F (0 C to 14 C)

      Location of Trip
      #2: Pictured Rocks National
      Lakeshore
      Type of Trip: Trail
      Distance: 18.8 mi (30 km)
      Length of Trip: 3 days/2 nights
      Pack Weight: Approx 25 lb (11 kg)
      Sky and Air
      Conditions: Sunny, cloudy
      Precipitation: None
      Temperature
      Range: 39 F to 61 F (4 C to 16 C)

      Location of
      Other Activities (Cross country and backcountry skiing; snowshoeing and
      dayhiking):Upper Peninsula of
      Michigan
      Distances: 4 mi to 12 mi (6.4 km to 19 km)
      Temperature
      Range: 26 F to 60 F (-3 C to 16 C)

      Since receiving the Helly
      Hansen Hybrid Pants I have worn them at least 4-5 times a week. The
      winter snow season lasted well into May this year so I wore the pants
      daily for cross country skiing until the season passed. Most of the
      time I wore them without long underwear although a few times I wore
      them with a thin silk pair. The fit of the
      pants allowed a thin silk layer but anything thicker would likely have
      inhibited my movement. Spring conditions meant that I started
      skiing when the temps were below freezing (0 C) but the temps rose into
      the
      mid 40's (7 C) after a few hrs of skiing. Since the pants are rather
      heavy
      duty or densely woven I wasn't cold in the least the times that I didn't wear an inner
      layer. I also donned the pants during a couple of
      backcountry ski trips and two snowshoe outings. I love them for winter
      wear and I am almost certain that I will be wearing them in years to
      come for such usage.

      Once winter technically ended (the snow melted) the overall temps have
      continued to be near record low all through May and into June so far.
      My first backpacking trip had a high of 57 F (14 C) and a low
      at freezing (32
      F/0 C). There was quite a brisk wind on one of the days. The second
      trip had similar conditions albeit a few degrees warmer. Of course these temps
      feel like a heat wave after a long cold winter. I was very comfortable
      while hiking.

      I have also worn the pants on many dayhikes this spring to area
      waterfalls and other sites. Again cold spring conditions prevailed but
      my legs felt great with the sturdy fabric helping to fend off cold and
      wind.

      More Thoughts

      Right now I am very pleased with the way these pants fit and perform.
      My only concern is that I notice that my backpack tends to shift the
      pants downward a tiny bit due to the waist being a little big. I know I
      could wear a belt but I don't like the inconvenience of having to do
      so. I also noticed that the trim fit of the pants does hinder my
      movement (even though the knees are covered by stretch material) when I have to take giant steps upwards sometimes. I am
      referring to when I have to step up at least 18 in (46 cm)
      at a time in some locations. This is just noticeable and those
      conditions are luckily not encountered often. In contrast a looser pair
      of pants hasn't hinder me in those type of situations in the past.

      So far I
      have been very comfortable in the pants due to cool conditions
      so I am a bit anxious to see how they will perform in warmer weather. I
      will be going on a eight-day backpack starting later this week so I
      guess I will find out if the weather turns warmer!

      I have mostly used the cinch cord to shorten the length of the pants
      and this has worked well. The pants have been worn in many wet
      conditions including heavy rain and snow. My legs have not felt wet.
      The other day I spilled some water on the pants while I was treating
      water in the backcountry and it beaded up on the surface so the DWR
      finish is still working.

      Initially I thought that the bottom of the pants were too wide but that
      really hasn't been an issue in any of my sports. The deep pockets have
      been real handy for keys, phone and even a trail
      map. I like the zippered pockets the best as they offer more security
      of items stowed (I usually keep my Identification cards in one of the
      pockets during an entire trip).

      Care and Durability

      I have
      washed the Hybrid
      Pants at least fifteen times since I received them. Even then I have
      worn
      them several continuous days before washing. I have just thrown them in
      with my regular wash in cold water and then I put them on a drying
      rack. The manufacturer suggested to wash them separately but I washed
      them with similar color clothing to save water. Everything looks great
      about them
      yet. The tough material has withstood many harsh back country
      conditions including rough vegetation and deep mud. I have also fallen
      a few times with no damage to the fabric (just my skin underneath).

      Pros  So Far

          * Nice fit through hip
      and thigh areas
          * Attractive design
          * Pockets are integrated
      into the design well and are very functional

          * Seem to be very durable
          * Comfortable

      Cons
      So Far

          * No waistband adjustment
      Tester Remarks

      Thanks to Helly Hansen and BackpackGearTest for this opportunity to test the Hybrid Pants. This concludes my
      Field Report. The Long Term Report will be appended to this report in
      approximately two months. Please check back then for more information.

      Top
      of Page
    • Mike Pearl
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2013
        Hi Gail,

        Sounds like the test series is off to a good start. Only to get better with your up coming wilderness time I'm sure. Below are your edits usual format, EDIT, Edit and Comment.

        Best,
        Mike

        ***Spring conditions meant that I started skiing when the temps were below freezing (0 C) but the temps rose into the mid 40's (7 C) after a few hrs of skiing.***

        Edit: remove (0 C) I feel it's understood by saying freezing. mid 40's doesn't directly convert to 7 C. Maybe change to - ...temps rose to around 45 F (7 C)...

        ***In contrast a looser pair of pants hasn't hinder me in those type of situations in the past.***

        EDIT: hindered

        ***The manufacturer suggested to wash them separately but I washed them with similar color clothing to save water.***

        EDIT: The manufacturer suggested washing them...

        ***I know I could wear a belt but I don't like the inconvenience of having to do so.***

        Comment: I hear'ya! +1 for drawstring waistbands

        ***Pros So Far***

        EDIT: remove extra space between Pros and So