APPLICATION--TILLEY CAMO-STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2013
      1. Please accept my application to test the Tilly LT3C Snap-Up Camouflage Hat. have read the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609, including Chapter 5 and 6, and agree to comply with all requirements. My Tester Agreement is on file.

      2. NAME: Steven M. Kidd
      EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 40
      LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee, USA
      GENDER: Male
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 173 lb (85 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 25 years. I backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties, while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). I now average less than 20 lbs (9 kg) in the backcountry.

      3. Test Plan: Every time a Tilley is offered to the group it appears 45 of the current 41 testers apply, so I've decided to drink the Kool-Aid and see what all the hype is about. At first I thought I'd pass, because I pretty much decided to hang up camouflage when I stopped wearing the government-issue stuff. It's not that I don't like, or for that matter even look good in it, but I generally go to the back country to camp and enjoy the weekend these days vs. bivouacking in a manner that requires stealth! Back to the hat…I looked at the site and realized why everyone wants one of these! It's like Tilley is saying, Steve, I have custom made this lid for you. Much like my Black Rock down watch cap (which is the only hat I carry into the woods these days). I perspire in levels that require electrolyte replacement in the average bear. Tilley has suggestions for cleaning a hat like this, so I will wash it and see how it is reshaped. I see myself cramming it in the kangaroo pouch of my pack. Will it reshape well after these two different treatments. Tilley says, so but I am a constant skeptic. Given the likely testing time frame I can see 95+F (35+ C) heats, and probably nothing lower than just above freezing. If selections and shipments are delayed the LT3C could see both. (Wow, it has been some time since I've heard the term LT tossed about…I always like the adoring term…butter bar) Inside joke! I assure the Mods I will put it through the battery of testing it deserves, and if the series runs into early November the lid will take a trip south to the islands. My head measures 22.5" (57 cm) or roughly 7 ¼ in Tilley Speak. I seem to recall those government-issued ones being in this range, but early onset dementia could be setting in.

      4. Current Test Load: Cascade Designs LuxuryLite Cot, Osprey Volt 75

      5. OR's Completed in Last Year: 5

      6. Outstanding applications: Soto WindMaster Stove

      7. Previous Tests/OR's: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ftroop94

      8. Test Status Page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1880.htm

      9. BGT Roles: Monitor

      Thanks for considering my application. Steve Kidd – 06-07-13