Application to test: SOTO WindMaster Stove - Kerri Larkin

  • Kerri Larkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2013
      Please accept my application to test the SOTO WindMaster stove.

      I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws (v. 0609) including Chapter 5. I agree to follow all instructions and fulfill all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kerri Larkin
      EMAIL: kerrilarkin AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 52
      LOCATION: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 247 lb (112.00 kg)

      I've been a camper and bushwalker for over thirty years but have returned to walking after some years away due to injuries. I'm learning to use lightweight gear and love exploring with the lightest kit possible. I've travelled most of eastern Australia, walking in landscapes as diverse as tropical rainforest, snow fields, beaches and deserts.

      TEST PLAN:
      A canister stove that works in the wind? Count me in! I currently use a JetBoil for a lot of my cooking and it is definitely affected by wind, so I�d love to test a stove that will cope with our hideous August winds.

      If selected, I�d like to test how well this product will:
      cope with both calm and windy conditions (wind guaranteed here in August!)
      handle various sized pots and pans from Ti mugs to frypans
      simmer - I don�t have a single stove that will effectively simmer!
      keep working - piezo-electric starters have been known to be a bit dodgy in the past. Will this one keep working?
      Stand use and abuse - will the pot holder retain it�s shape and flexibility during use
      use gas - is it a guzzler or a sipper
      I�m intrigued by a stove which is rated to work in the wind without the use of a windscreen. The online manual gives some good information about this unit and promises a fascinating test series. I�d love to be a part of that!

      I love winter camping and am usually away for two nights twice a month. My plan is to mix some car camping with some short-hike overnighters as I am still carrying some injuries. I believe I will have no trouble exceeding the minimum test requirements.

      CURRENTLY TESTING:
      Cascade Designs LuxuryLite Ultralight Cot - FR submitted, LTR in August
      Bear Grylls Intense Torch - Awaiting arrival

      ORs IN LAST 12 MONTHS
      Sorry, nil - haven�t bought any new gear.

      CURRENT APPLICATIONS
      Nil

      OTHER BGT DUTIES
      Monitor: Two test series recently completed, currently monitor for Carhartt Men�s Force Tee Shirt

      PREVIOUS TESTS:
      My reports can be read at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Bumper

      I trust my application will recommend itself to you and thank you for your consideration.

      Kind Regards,

      Kerri Larkin