IR - Carhartt Force T-Shirt - Andrea Murland

  • Andrea Murland
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 2013
      Hi Kerri,
      I see you're the Mystery Monitor for this test.
      I am waiting on a size exchange but figured I'd go ahead and post the IR now.
      Cheers,
      Andrea

      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/pc9a8t3

      Text:

      Carhartt Women’s Force Performance T-Shirt
      Initial Report - May 27, 2013

      Tester Information:
      Name: Andrea Murland
      Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
      Age: 27
      Location: Elkford & Kimberley, British Columbia, Canada
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
      Weight: 130 lb (59 kg)

      I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent two months backpacking in the Alps. I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2 to 3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them. I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don’t have a lot of experience with winter in the backcountry yet. Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges. I try for a light pack, but I don’t consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Carhartt
      Manufacturer’s URL: http://www.carhartt.com/
      Model: Women’s Force Performance T-Shirt
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      MSRP: US $32.00
      Colour Reviewed: Tulip Pink Heather and then Asphalt Heather
      Other Colours Available: Black
      Size Reviewed: M and then S
      Sizes Available: XS, S, M, L, XL
      Listed Weight: 5 oz (142 g)
      Measured Weight: M – 5.1 oz (145 g)
      Material: 81% polyester, 14% cotton, 5% spandex, Made in El Salvador
      Care Instructions: Machine wash cold, do not bleach, tumble dry low, do not use fabric softeners, do not iron

      Description & Initial Impressions:

      The Carhartt Force Performance T-Shirt is a fabric blend t-shirt that is supposed to wick moisture, release stains, and fight odours. It is a short-sleeve crewneck t-shirt constructed with flat-lock seams. There is a seam in front of the shoulders (instead of on top of the shoulders), which should be comfortable under a backpack. As well, instead of a standard side seam there is a panel that runs from under the arms to the hem, putting seams towards the front and back of the shirt. There is also a seam that runs across the back of the shirt. Inside the back of the neck there is a piece of fabric that covers the seam, which I assume is for comfort, so that the seam isn’t rubbing against my neck. The hem is curved so that the shirt is longer in the front and back than at the sides.

      The medium measured 26 in (66 cm) in length at the center of the back, and 19.5 in (49.5 cm) side to side under the arms. More about the sizing a bit later...

      There is a printed Carhartt logo and size on the inside of the neck, as well as the Force logo printed in silver on the outside of the shirt on the back, just below the neckline, and another Carhartt logo printed at the hemline on the left side of the shirt. There is a large cloth tag on one of the side seams with the fabric and care information.

      The fabric is very soft and feels comfortable. It feels more like a soft cotton shirt than a synthetic shirt. There were a number of loose threads showing in the flatlock seams on the medium that I tried.

      Trying It Out:
      When choosing which size to test, I looked at the size chart on the Carhartt website. It indicates that a size medium should fit a bust of 35-36 in (89-91 cm) and a waist of 28-29 in (71-74 cm), while a small should fit a bust of 33-34 in (84-86 cm) and a waist of 26-27 in (66-69 cm). I was pretty firmly in the medium category, but I revised my opinion when it arrived. Although I didn’t want a skin-tight shirt, the size medium was definitely baggy. It was very large in the shoulders, through the torso, and also very long. I am exchanging it for a size small.

      I did like the Tulip Pink Heather colour, but am now testing the Asphalt Heather in the size small.

      Customer Service:
      When I realized that I needed a smaller size, I contacted Carhartt’s Customer Service. They were very courteous and willing to do a “courtesy exchange” of the item. Unfortunately, they were unable to do the exchange to a Canadian address.

      Thanks to Carhartt and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test this shirt! Check back in approximately 2 months (August 2013) for my Field Report to see how the size small Force T-Shirt is working out.
    • Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2013
        Hi Andrea, I think we have the monitors sorted so here is your edit. After seeing both you and Nancy revived a shirt that is way too big I'm a little worried that my XL ( I will be testing the mens version) will be more like an XXL. As for your edit, just one edit and you good to upload.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Murland <amurland@...> wrote:

        > HTML: http://tinyurl.com/pc9a8t3
        >
        > Text:
        >
        > Carhartt Women’s Force Performance T-Shirt
        > Initial Report - May 27, 2013
        >
        > I did like the Tulip Pink Heather colour, but am now testing the Asphalt Heather in the size small.
        >
        > Customer Service:
        > When I realized that I needed a smaller size, I contacted Carhartt’s Customer Service. They were very courteous and willing to do a “courtesy exchange” of the item. Unfortunately, they were unable to do the exchange to a Canadian address.

        Edit: since you have the asphalt heather shirt in a small I am left wondering how this was resolved. If they said we cant do a courtesy exchange in Canada did they just send you the other shirt,or did you find someone in the US to mail your shirt too and then let them handle the exchange? Probably not a biggie but you say you are now testing the small but later say you are looking forward to receiving the small so there is a conflict here.

      • ringrat55
        Message 3 of 4 , May 27, 2013
          Thanks!
          I cleaned up the tenses and added that I was pursuing an exchange otherwise. It's through the contact for the test.
          See ya on the next one!
          Andrea

          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2013
            Hi Andrea, makes perfect sense now, but with the change I spotted another small edit.

            I did like the Tulip Pink Heather colour, but will now testing the Asphalt Heather in the size small.

            Edit: need to add be between now and testing.