IR: Carhartt Force Performance T-shirt - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2013
      Hi Monitor TBD,
      I've posted my IR to the test folder.  Here is the link.
      Thanks for providing the edits.
      Have a great holiday weekend!

      May 22, 2013
      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)
      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long.  I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and trekking poles.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Front">>Manufacturer: Carhartt
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website:
      MSRP: $32 US
      Listed Weight: 5 oz (142 g)
      Measured Weight: 5.5 oz (156 g) for Medium and 4.7 oz (133 g) for Small
      Initial Color Tested: Asphalt Heather (M) and then Tulip Pink Heather (S)
      Also Available in: Black and Tulip Pink Heather
      Made in El Salvador
      The Carhartt Force Performance T-Shirt is a blend of synthetic and natural fabrics.  It is 81% polyester, 14% cotton and 5% spandex.  This combination is supposed to make for a tough shirt that wicks moisture, releases stains and fights odors.
      The shirt has a crew neck with flat-lock seams and a women's princess cut.  The seam is not at the top of the shoulder but is off-set to the front which is a feature I appreciate for wearing while carrying a backpack.  The curved hem is slightly longer in the back than the front.  There is a Carhartt logo on the front hem and a Force logo in the middle of my shoulders on the back.  There is no tag at the neck but there is a large tag on the side seam.
      The shirt has a look and feel of a soft cotton shirt but with the other synthetic fibers it has properties of a more technical shirt.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Back">>I reviewed the Carhartt sizing chart and saw that a medium would be the perfect size for me.  It shows a bust of 35 - 36 in (89-91 cm) and a waist of 28 - 29 in (71 - 74 cm).  The pink heather looked a bit too bright pink so I ordered an asphalt gray heather shirt in size M.  I was surprised when I received the shirt to see how large it was.  It reminded me of one of my husband's shirts.  I tried it on and the length was quite long and the width was very wide.  I tried wearing it for a 10 mile (16 km) hike and felt uncomfortable all day with the size.  I talked of trying to shrink it in the laundry but then decided to find a store that carried them and get a smaller one.
      During my one day of wearing the gray shirt, I managed to get a tomato sauce stain on it.  I had forgotten to mention it to my husband who kindly attempted to shrink the shirt by washing it in warm water and drying it at our highest dryer setting.  I was sure that the stain would be permanently embedded but it had come out.  And the shirt size hadn't changed much.
      I went into the store and the first thing that struck me was how much I liked the pink heather color and how the size XS looked like so many of my other shirts.  I tried on a XS and S and was unable to tell the difference.  I went back and forth and finally headed back to the rack for another S.  It fit a little larger but not very much so.  I bought it thinking that a little room for shrinkage may be in order.  I haven't worn any t-shirts with cotton in a long time but I recall the 100% cotton variety shrinking.
      I talked to the salesperson and she agreed that Carhartt women's clothing runs large.  She gave me quite a story about all of her Carhartt clothing and the different sizes she owns in different fabrics.  She also agreed that the sizing chart is inaccurate and advised me not to buy their brand online since I would need to try it on.
      I really like the new size and color and am looking forward to wearing it this weekend for a backpacking trip.
      On the tag are washing instructions which say to wash in cold water without bleach and to tumble dry on low.  It also says not to use fabric softener which the salesperson re-iterated to me without prompting.  Lastly it does not recommend using an iron.  Yippee.
      The Carhartt Force Performance t-shirt is a synthetic and natural fiber blend with properties of each.
      Initial Likes:
      Soft fabric
      Pink color
      Stain release works
      No seam at top of shoulder
      Initial Dislikes:
      Sizing chart was inaccurate
      This concludes my Initial Report.  Please check back in a few months for my Field Report.
      Thanks to Carhartt and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test.
      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.