REPOST IR Osprey Viva 65 Backpack-Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22 6:36 PM
      After posting my IR and having a few days to think about it, I decided to add more pics and do a little editing. I hope you like this version better. I will e-mail it to the monitor as soon as I am advised of their identity. Thanks for your edits.

      http://tinyurl.com/ay9ts5d

      OSPREY VIVA 65 BACKPACK
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      IR
      May 17, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for six years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with two or more 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg) depending on the need for a bear canister. I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Osprey
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.ospreypacks.com" LINK TEXT = "www.ospreypacks.com">>
      MSRP: US $199.00
      Listed Weight: 3 lb 10 oz ( 1.65 kg)
      Measured Weight: 3 lb 9.5 oz (1.60 kg)
      Gear Capacity: 3967 ci (65 L)
      Load Weight Range: 10-65 lbs (4-30 kg)
      Colors available: Emerald Green, Plum Purple, both with gray accents

      The women's specific integrated custom fit Viva 65 backpack is designed specifically for backpacking trips and mountaineering expeditions. The Viva backpack is the women's specific version of the Volt 75 men's specific backpack. The large pack volume allows for long weekend or weeklong trips.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "from website">>

      Suspension
      There is only one women's size available in the Viva backpack in the 65 liter volume. The torso adjusts up to 5 in (7 cm) to fit women's sizes extra small to medium and torso lengths of 14-19 in (35-48 cm) and all sizes in between. The suspension uses a peripheral framing system that works in conjunction with an internal framesheet and spacer mesh covered padded lumbar and backpanel pads with a large hook and loop closure on the panels. The pack also has an adjustable sternum strap with rescue whistle buckle on the left buckle.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "back panel and suspension-from website">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "hipbelt adjustments">>

      Hipbelt
      The spacer mesh foam Fit-on-the-Fly™ hipbelt extends up to 3 in (13 cm) on each side to wrap around the hip bones for a custom fit for waist/hips from 26-42 in (66-107 cm). The hipbelt features zippered pockets on both sides large enough to fit my camera on one side and my sunglasses on the other side. The hipbelt uses the ErgoPull™ hipbelt closure system that allows the clip to be closed and the belt tightened by pulling each strap forward to tighten the straps. In the picture above, one side is shortened all the way and the other side is extended all the way to demonstrate the available sizing options.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "top pocket with key clip">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "mesh zippered pocket under top pocket">>

      There is a floating removable top pocket with an internal key clip and underlid zippered mesh pocket. The top pocket extends to accommodate oversized loads. The pack also has a 3-loop daisy chain on both sides of the pack front. The zipper pulls have circular flexible rubber covers on the cords.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "hydration sleeve">>

      Hydration
      The external hydration sleeve is located between the harness and backpanel. This sleeve is lined to protect the pack contents from spills and can be easily accessed without unpacking. There is a quick release buckle for external access and a small internal clip for the bladder.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 7" IMAGE CAPTION = "red compression strap">>

      There is a heavy duty red compression strap inside the top of the pack to stabilize the pack contents. Inside the pack, there are outdoor ethics or Leave No Trace principles printed in English and French on the inside top back area of the collar where they can easily be noticed. The pack utilizes a large drawstring with a closure on top of the red compression strap.

      There are dual lower side V compression straps over the dual access mesh side pockets and dual upper side compression straps. These also provide external gear retention options.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 8" IMAGE CAPTION = "sleeping bag compartment">>

      Sleeping Bag Compartment
      There is a wide mouth zippered sleeping bag compartment in the pack bottom with a drop down divider. The divider clips on one side can be released and the divider dropped down to make the pack one big compartment. Since sleeping bags may be different sizes, I placed the small blue plastic BearVault bear canister inside the sleeping bag compartment and zipped it halfway closed to demonstrate how much gear the bottom compartment can accommodate.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 9" IMAGE CAPTION = "sleeping pad straps">>

      The pack utilizes sleeping pad straps on the bottom outside of the pack. These straps fit my sleeping pad, but I prefer to carry that inside my pack. The straps are not long enough to fit around a bear canister, but they do fit my Crazy Creek chair folded in half.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 10" IMAGE CAPTION = "closure on shoulder strap">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 11" IMAGE CAPTION = "pole handles in closure on shoulder strap">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 12" IMAGE CAPTION = "pole tips in lower strap">>

      The Stow-on-the-Go™ attachment system for trekking poles uses an elasticized loop covered with plastic tubing below the side pocket on the bottom left side of the pack and a cord lock on the left shoulder strap to secure the poles without removing the pack.

      The pack has a stretch mesh front pocket with a clip closure that bears the Osprey logo.

      The pack has ice axe loops on each side of the pack bottom for additional tool carrying options.

      The pack body is constructed of 210 denier nylon double ripstop and the pack base is constructed using 600 denier poly. Four cord loops serve as attachment points that are intended to attach the Osprey Daylite daypack for additional storage. These would also allow for additional external storage using straps or cord.

      Guarantee
      The pack comes with the All Mighty Guarantee that states Osprey will repair for any reason, free of charge, any damage or defect no matter when it was purchased. If Osprey is unable to perform a quality repair, the pack will be replaced.

      Pack Care
      Osprey recommends cleaning out the pack thoroughly after each trip. If the pack is wet, it should be hung to dry. The pack straps should be loosened after each trip. The pack should be washed occasionally.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Upon opening the package, I found the largest pack I have ever used in perfect condition. I especially like the unusual plum color with the gray accents. The pack included two hang tags and the owner's manual in the top pocket. One hang tag described the guarantee and the other tag listed all of the Osprey women's packs that are available.

      There are so many features on this pack that I decided to read the owner's manual to determine how to use them as intended by the manufacturer. The sternum strap buckle whistle and the trekking pole quick stow harness features are new to me. Since this pack is the largest I have used so far, I wanted to see just how much the pack would hold. I put one large and one small BearVault bear canister in the pack on top of each other. I loaded the small bear canister in the bottom sleeping bag compartment and zipped it closed easily. I then placed the large bear canister in the top compartment of the pack. The pack swallowed them both and had lots of available room for more gear. I have four week long backpacking trips planned this summer. I am looking forward to fitting all of my gear, food, water and bear canister in the pack with extra space.

      When fully loaded, this pack is amazingly comfortable on my hips. The suspension system is well padded and allows for adjustment on the trail. Being able to move the hip belt higher and lower on my hips while hiking is a great option for me. Sometimes I like the hipbelt to be above my hips and sometimes I prefer it below my hips, in addition to the usual location wrapped around my hip bones. With the adjustable hipbelt extender pieces, these adjustments can be made on the trail with ease. The ability to move the hipbelt to relieve pressure points during a long trip carrying a heavy pack is a great feature.

      Having the four small loops on the outside of the pack provides the ability to easily attach any number of items to the outside of the pack easily. I can't imagine that I would need the extra storage a daypack would provide considering the large volume of this pack, but there may be times when this is a necessity on longer trips.

      Initially the trekking pole quick stow system feels like the poles might be uncomfortable while hiking. I will pay close attention to this detail during my testing.

      SUMMARY

      Considering that Osprey skipped pricey features found on many of their packs and focused on comfort and durability, this pack is a great value with a lot of very useful features. Now everyone can afford the comfort of an Osprey pack. I can't wait to load it and take it out on the trail.

      Many thanks to Osprey and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this awesome backpack.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23 5:56 PM
        Hi Frances, looks like I'll be the monitor on this series, unless of course I git fared. I'm sure this one is better but I'm too lazy to compare it to the original. HTML looks great, good use of photos. I'm a pretty laid back editor but do go for clarity. You will probably notice that here shortly.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "fpenn@..." <fpenn@...> wrote:

        > After posting my IR and having a few days to think about it, I decided to add more pics and do a little editing. I hope you like this version better. I will e-mail it to the monitor as soon as I am advised of their identity. Thanks for your edits.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/ay9ts5d

        > The women's specific integrated custom fit Viva 65 backpack is designed specifically for backpacking trips and mountaineering expeditions. The Viva backpack is the women's specific version of the Volt 75 men's specific backpack. The large pack volume allows for long weekend or weeklong trips.

        comment: my spell check is saying weeklong should be hyphenated or two words. of course so is hipbelt, framesheet, backpannel etc but those are OK. This one actually probably needs changed.

        > In the picture above, one side is shortened all the way and the other side is extended all the way to demonstrate the available sizing options.

        comment: hard to see the one extended all the way out. no biggie though, I trust/believe you.

        > INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
        >
        > Upon opening the package, I found the largest pack I have ever used in perfect condition.

        Edit: needs clarifying, this could mean you have used a larger pack but it was not in perfect condition when I think you mean this is the largest pack you have ever used and it arrived in perfect condition. And since you probably have not used it in the field yet I would say. The OSPREY VIVA 65 arrived in perfect condition. This pack is larger than any pack I have ever used before.

        The pack swallowed them both and had lots of available room for more gear. I have four week long backpacking trips planned this summer. I am looking forward to fitting all of my gear, food, water and bear canister in the pack with extra space.

        Edit: I think this last sentence is projection. maybe with good cause but better to say. I am looking forward to fitting all of my gear, food, water and bear canister in the pack with hopefully room to spare.

        > Having the four small loops on the outside of the pack provides the ability to easily attach any number of items to the outside of the pack easily. I can't imagine that I would need the extra storage a daypack would provide considering the large volume of this pack, but there may be times when this is a necessity on longer trips.

        comment: not sure where the daypack comment came from (just seems like it was blurted out...LOL). I did read earlier that the four small loops are for attaching the daylite daypack but you might want to somehow reiterate that.

        Now everyone can afford the comfort of an Osprey pack. I can't wait to load it and take it out on the trail.

        Edit: I saw the MSRP is $199. I know several folks who really couldn't afford a pack that cost this much. Of course I know several who could but wouldn't. I'd either take the Now everyone sentence out or reword to This should make it easier for anyone to afford the comfort of an Osprey pack.