LTR: ISIS Slipstream Jacket - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2013
      Derek, Here is my LTR for the Slipstream Jacket. Thanks for taking the time to monitor this series. Gail

      http://tinyurl.com/p9zunov

      Long
      Term
      Report:
      May 22, 2013

      USA Locations and Conditions

      During the long term test period I have continued to wear the ISIS
      Slipstream Jacket at least four to five times a week including one
      overnight backpacking trip. Locations of all
      activities ranged from hilly
      deciduous forest to open non-deciduous
      communities including ice-covered Lake Superior as well as many icy
      inland lakes. Elevation ranged from 600 ft (183 m) to almost 2000 ft
      (610 m). Locations included backcountry areas in Marquette, Alger and
      Houghton Counties (Upper Peninsula of Michigan).

      Location (March
      25-26): Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (Beaver Basin
      Wilderness), Michigan
      Type of Trip: Trail/Frozen Lake
      Distance: 14 mi (23 km)
      Length of Trip: 2 days/1 night
      Sled Weight: Approx 45 lb (20.4 kg)
      Sky and Air
      Conditions: Cloudy
      Precipitation: 0.02 in (0.05
      cm) Snow
      Temperature
      Range: 34 F to
      20 F (1 C to -7 C)

      During my backcountry winter
      camping trip I wore the Slipstream with a wool t-neck underneath and
      sometimes with a lighter down sweater over it (the reason the down
      sweater was worn over the jacket is that the former is a larger garment
      so the combination gave me maximum warmth with little compression of
      down).

      Cold-to-cool weather has prevailed well into spring here. I cross
      country skied, snowshoed and backcountry skied through the first week
      of May. Morning temps were often below freezing (32 F/0 C) or just
      above. The
      Slipstream Jacket has been worn to and from the trailhead as well as
      for any outing that wasn't highly aerobic. For example on day treks
      including all of the aforementioned sports I would start with the
      jacket on and then stow it
      during the duration of the activity. If it was a long outing I would
      pull it out during breaks so that I wouldn't get chilled.

      This spring
      the waterfalls have been especially great with the massive amounts of
      melting snow so I have enjoyed many treks into the backcountry to see
      them. While
      there I would always take at least a  fifteen minute-to-half hour
      break at each
      one to enjoy the sounds and sights. The jacket felt very comfy while
      fending off the mist from some of the waterfalls.The jacket has also been worn
      about town in this highly outdoors community.

      Care and Durability

      I washed the jacket right at the beginning of the long term period. I
      machine washed it and then tumble dried it with a dry bath towel (to
      aid in drying) on low. It
      came out beautifully even though the areas around the sleeve edges had
      been  rather soiled. The jacket is still cosmetically beautiful
      although there are a few popped stitches due to more than one dog
      jumping on me at various times. It made me cringe every time and I am
      surprised that there isn't more damage. The zippers still
      function as great as ever.

      The jacket continued to be exposed to wet weather including sleet and
      snow on more than a few occasions. The jacket never got noticeably wet.

      Final Thoughts

      My opinion of the Slipstream Jacket since the Field Report has not
      changed. I love the length, sleek style, warmth, cozy inner collar and
      the durability of the jacket. It will be a standard go-to item for all
      the cooler months of the year (which is most of the year here).

      Tester
      Remarks

      Thanks to ISIS and BackpackGearTest for this opportunity to test the Slipstream Jacket. This concludes
      my  Long Term Report and the test series.

      Top
      of Page
    • Derek Hansen
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2013
        Gail,

        Here are your edits. Great working with you on this series.

        Best,

        ~derek

        # # #

        > (Upper Peninsula of Michigan).
        Edit: Is "upper peninsula" a proper noun? If not, please lowercase.

        > of the waterfalls.The jacket has also been worn
        EDIT: Need a space after the period.

        > I washed the jacket right at the beginning of the long term period. I
        > machine washed it and then tumble dried it with a dry bath towel (to
        Edit/Comment: Did you use a front-loading or top-loading washing machine? Was it commercial? My question is two-fold: I'm extremely curious because I need to wash some of my down gear but going to a commercial facility is inconvenient. I know some modern washers on log agitation are suppose to be okay with down gear? Besides my own curiosity, I think the readers will want to know too.

        The towel in the dryer is a great tip.